Other options for year 11 and 12 (1 Viewer)

agua.fuego

HSC
I've been having heaps of time off school lately, so it's making it hard for catching up and all that.
I've heard there are other ways to do your HSC, other than repeating or going to TAFE. Something about doing your HSC over 3 years? I don't know what it's called so I can do more research, but if anyone knows - or knows some other ways I can finish my HSC - please help! That'd be great.

Jess007

HSC
pathways..is over 2 years...might help u finish and work your way around school work and the such

jessyy

HSC
your only in year 11 now though?? honestly i found that yr 11 only taught me the basics of what you need to know in yr 12. your about to start term 2, go to school (unless you have an illness) and do your best to catch up.

talk to your teachers about it first before making a decision.

=)

agua.fuego

HSC
yeah, still in year 11. i'll only be doing 1/2 days though if i do go back, it's too hard to concentrate.
I suppose it's more of if I keep getting sick over and over that I'd have to do one of those options. Just trying to find out the best option, because so far its been 8 weeks sick, 2 months well, then now 5 weeks sick. So it's been heaps of school I've been missing.

jessyy

HSC
if you have an illness im sure the school will understand and let you do it over 2 years.

agua.fuego

HSC
So doing it over the two years is the best option then? Instead of just all-out repeating?

Also - if you DO repeat, do you keep the subjects you chose or do you choose again?

HSC
agua.fuego said:
Also - if you DO repeat, do you keep the subjects you chose or do you choose again?
if you repeat with the same subjects, the syllabus may be changed and there can be timetable problems if two subjects occur at the same time... assuming your school changes its timetable every year. you can't choose different subjects unless you've done them in the preliminary... IMO pathways is a much better option than repeating.

jessyy

HSC
depends do you feel that you will miss out on alot of year 12?? or just year 11?

if you think your going to be ill alot during yr 12 then do that over two years as opposed to repeating yr 11. that way you learn the required syllabus twice basically!

EDIT: russianroulette is right, this year is the last year of this syllabus according to all my teachers. your better off doing year 12 over two years.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I know a few pepople who are doing Pathways due to State sporting commitments.

agua.fuego

HSC
jessyy said:
depends do you feel that you will miss out on alot of year 12?? or just year 11?

if you think your going to be ill alot during yr 12 then do that over two years as opposed to repeating yr 11. that way you learn the required syllabus twice basically!

EDIT: russianroulette is right, this year is the last year of this syllabus according to all my teachers. your better off doing year 12 over two years.
yeah, i've heard about the syllabus thing. so you choose to do the 2 years in year 12 thing in term 3 (at the end)? because i kinda remember it being mentioned briefly in year 10 when we were choosing our subjects, but didn't think much about it, except for a "won't ever need that!" emotion... so i wouldn't know.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
If you take 3 Years to do yr 12, how many years are you going to take for Uni?

agua.fuego

HSC
foram said:
If you take 3 Years to do yr 12, how many years are you going to take for Uni?
I'm going to do a double degree of Creative Writing and Law. (hopefully) It's meant to last 5 years.

I'm already a year young for my grade, though, I'm 16 and born in March.

agua.fuego

HSC
Without Wings said:
Pathways refers to accumulating the HSC over a period of up to 5 years. So you can take 2 years if you like, 3 years etc - whatever suits you. It is also referred to as 'pathways' if you repeat a course.

What is meant by HSC "Pathways"?
The HSC can be accumulated over a period of five years from the completion of the first HSC course. This allows for flexible study arrangements and is often referred to by the term "Pathways". Pathways provisions also include: being able to repeat one or more HSC courses; acceleration, which allows more able students to progress through their study requirements at a faster rate; recognition of prior learning, whereby you may be granted credit transfer towards your HSC, or advanced standing in a course; and even part-time traineeships.
Source: Board of Studies

agua.fuego: If you are struggling due to a high number of absent days talk to your school. Explain your situation and your interest in undertaking pathways and they should be able to talk you through your decision, give you information and even advice.

And thankyou so much! You're awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)