OPUS lolz. (1 Viewer)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
To start of with, I guess the main reason i'm making this thread, is through curiosity as to how fellow students perceive Opus. I have a fair idea, but wanted to see if anyone had read the latest copy.

Ok so I picked up a copy of the latest Opus to kill boredom this afternoon. Had a chuckle on a few articles. Apart from the inability to read a lot of the text on the page, here's an article regarding VSU I found pretty funny...

Here's the main points of it...

Regarding the introduction of VSU said:
"Officially known as the Higher Education Support Bill 2005 this new legislation meant that universities were no longer able to charge membership fees or any other fees that were not related specifically to a course being studied by a student. It was a means by which the Howard Government could silence dissent. It was never about choice, about the right of students to choose to join their students association or not. It was about silencing opposition and it was forced upon students."
Seriously guys, cmon. Chairman Rudd is now in power, and Johnny is long gone, as are the Libs.

Beyond that, I honestly don't get how they are trying to argue that it was about 'silencing opposition'. Seems they are bitter that the majority of students, now given the choice of whether to pay or not, are opting not to, because they don't feel they are getting value from any dollar they would spend. Clutching at straws, really.

NUSA's proposal for Universal Student Unionism said:
"What we want is Universal Student Unionism (USU). We want universal membership to student associations. For students to fund their associations and not universities or the government so they can remain autonomous and continue doing the great work that they do."
Pretty obvious that these guys fail to grasp the notion that given the choice, most students don't want to fork out hundreds of dollars a year to support a cause that they may not use their services for. Students would really be better off donating the funds to a charity that has more chance of assisting society as a whole i.e. Cancer Council/Breast Cander Foundation etc, and at least this way, they'd get a tax deduction too = win! :)

Regarding the proposed new bill to 'reintroduce' Compulsory Fees said:
"The Governments current talk of an up to $250 services levy is weak. There is no guarantee that this money will go to student unions. If it does, there will be many restrictions placed on its use. Whatever the Government/Uni deems as 'political' will not be funded by the levy. So much of what student unions do fits on the political spectrum, all of it integral to creating a better education system, society and world. And none of it will be able to happen with the Government's proposed levy."
Not sure about 'political' issues not receiving funding, but maybe I don't know as much as they do. It's probably that.

tHeY aRe MaKiNg ThE wOrLd A bEtTeR pLaCe!!1!!! Awwwhhh.

End rant.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Then write the counter article about it why don't you?

If you're a decent writer, they'll publish it.

Remember how I used to complained about the state of student culture and you guys always hassled me about not doing anything about it myself? What are you going to do for the student mag then?

I'm a right wing hero, and I really like opus, it's been really funny, well-written and open to all opinions for years.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Then write the counter article about it why don't you?

If you're a decent writer, they'll publish it.

Remember how I used to complained about the state of student culture and you guys always hassled me about not doing anything about it myself? What are you going to do for the student mag then?

I'm a right wing hero, and I really like opus, it's been really funny, well-written and open to all opinions for years.
Good question. Probably because it's been done before, and to my knowledge, has failed to be given proper consideration. Other than that, I haven't written a counter article for anything before, and so until now, I haven't really done much about it.

Who knows, I might submit a counter to that, but I doubt it would be of great substance other than refuting blatant slandering and how I feel they are pushing their point out of [seemingly] utter fear that students will perceive them as irrelevant and consequently they'll lose their student funding.

This isn't so much a jibe on the student culture of the university itself, it's more a case of me scoffing at the student unions, Australia wide, watery attempts at justifying why VSU is wrong and USU should be adopted.

I see your point though, and who knows, if I start forming a retort now, I might have it finished by the time submissions for next issue are due.

For the record, I don't mind Opus for a read either. I know some of the people that write for it, and I do respect the work that must be put in to getting it produced. Hats off.

EDIT: I realise posting this may be hollow, because i'm guessing the UNCLE members here aren't too concerned about what's written in Opus, but if anything, it would be interesting to see who actually reads it and what they think. Would be interesting to compare with other uni's publications.

Last edited:

chamelia

HSC
I always adored Opus. My friend Ivan was editor for the past two years so I got to contribute some design bits and last year most of it was designed by my uni group so I enjoyed that aspect.

Sure the opinions may rub me the wrong way - and seem off point or even blatantly wrong but I really enjoy reading it nonetheless. Too hear what other students think is great - even if only to validate what I already believe further.

blue_chameleon

HSC
I always adored Opus. My friend Ivan was editor for the past two years so I got to contribute some design bits and last year most of it was designed by my uni group so I enjoyed that aspect.

Sure the opinions may rub me the wrong way - and seem off point or even blatantly wrong but I really enjoy reading it nonetheless. Too hear what other students think is great - even if only to validate what I already believe further.
I like his back-page comic with Syd the bum. Tbh, the mag has some nice looking design work done on it. I can't say I've ever seen it looking drab or boring.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I enjoyed reading it in first year. From memory I found it pretty funny. But yeh, didn't pick it up much.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Pretty obvious that these guys fail to grasp the notion that given the choice, most students don't want to fork out hundreds of dollars a year
I tend to disagree with you here. In my view many students didn’t fork out union fees because of a perceived notion that no one else was going to pay it and no matter what the services were going to disappear. Many students I’ve talked to have said that they would have payed it if there was a guarantee the services would remain the same before vsu, but they seriously doubted they would. This doubt then went through most students and in the end only a small percentage of people actually payed.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Yeh and before then, everyone whinged that they'd have to scrounge up the cash to pay the fees that year.

blue_chameleon

HSC
I tend to disagree with you here. In my view many students didn’t fork out union fees because of a perceived notion that no one else was going to pay it and no matter what the services were going to disappear. Many students I’ve talked to have said that they would have payed it if there was a guarantee the services would remain the same before vsu, but they seriously doubted they would. This doubt then went through most students and in the end only a small percentage of people actually payed.
Yeah, that's a fair point to mention too. But I think it's more representative of the sample of people you spoke to rather than representative of the broader student population.

I must admit, diminished quality of services due to funding shortfall would be a concern for me as well, although it would be secondary to the fact that I don't think I would use the services enough, to get value for money, regardless of the quality of the services.

Would be really interested in seeing some survey results regarding these two issues though. Will have a look.

blue_chameleon

HSC
if anything, i'd like to see MORE privatization of the union building.
Lets throw a mcdonalds in there to boost the competition.
Subway is a great asset for student lunches.

I don't buy coffee from GJ's because i'm not keen on it, and Bytes Cafe make freakin awesome Chai Latte's.

The only food I buy from the union is from the Noodle Bar.

Do the union still have ownership over the cafeteria area, or is Zouki's private enterprise? Either way, prices need to come down. :(

blue_chameleon

HSC
subway's success would surely have other franchises scrambling to the uni, if they knew about it.

You could easily split the zouki space into three franchises. It'd be fantastic.
Considering it's near impossible to walk through the walkway where Subway and Delish are around lunch time, yes, I believe there would be great opportunity for it.

On that, what franchises do you think could realistically setup in/near the cafeteria that aren't overly expensive?

So far, we basically have Pizza, Sandwiches/Subs and Crepes.

EDIT: I couldn't realistically see the likes of McDonalds or KFC being considered.

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

HSC
i'd love to see a maccas express.

but oporto or, like, eagle boys would be cool.
i dont mind tbh. I just think that the franchises have a greater chance of offering lower price food.
Yeah, Oporto could work I think.

We already have an Eagle Boys, btw. You can grab pizzas at either the GT Bar or near the kebab end of Zouki.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)