Opinions on my selections? (1 Viewer)

jazzawhat

HSC
Okay, so I have finally decided on my subjects after much deliberation.

They are:
Advanced English
Mathematics 2 unit
Extension 1 Mathematics
Economics
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Studies of Religion 2 unit

Who here enjoys these subjects or has any opinions on them? Also any advice as to what I can and can't look forward to?

Thanks!

thought-process

HSC
So I'm in year 10 right now and I'm so excited for legal, economics and business :D Instead of 3 unit maths I'm doing 2 unit and intead of your 2 unit SOR I'm taking agriculture as well. I thoroughly enjoy commerce; hence business, eco and legal.

enoilgam

HSC
I did most of the subjects that you did, here are some of my thoughts:

Economics: Solid subject but I found it to be a little difficult especially in year 12 (I found economics generally required more work than most of my other subjects). Prelim tends to be theory based, whereas HSC is more practical and focused on the Australian economy.
Legal Studies: I didnt mind Legal, although I found it to be a bit mundane and repetitive in parts. The course has a lot of potential, but it seems to be squandered by its narrow focus on policy (i.e. Law reform, effectiveness of the law etc). When I did it, the subject wasnt as bad, but the syllabus changes in 2011 seemed to make things worse.
Studies of Religion 2 unit: SOR II can also be pretty boring as it has a very narrow focus in areas (which is similar to the problem with Legal Studies). However, I really enjoyed some parts of it - especially Islam, which I found quite enlightening.

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
If you dont mind having to do extremely boring bits in year 11 then yes.

( i had to do a 1500 report on homelessness-i was insane by the end of it)

deviouswatch

HSC
Wow, that's gonna be hard doing 13 units with MX1! I had a hard enough time getting all the work done when I did 12 units with MX1 in Yr11.
My school allows people taking an extension unit to do 12 units in Yr11 & it's Catholic.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Solid roll of subjects! Are you planning on doing 4u Math?

Just my opinions on some of the subjects you chose that I did:

Advanced English - English is English. There's nothing much to say about it. Some people enjoy it, others hate it. I myself hated the course but you have to get through it so there's no use not doing it properly. Advanced is more about mastery of techniques and synthesis in your essays so make sure you pick out exemplary related texts and be meticulous about details. Memorise only if your essay is hugely adaptable, otherwise make sure you know your quotes and concepts in detail. It's a much easier Band 6 than people realise, and always do an unconventional creative writing piece because Belonging is very easily 45/45able. Make clear links to the question and syllabus in you essays and make sure everything is relevant. Don't waste words.

Math 2U - Pretty easy subject. You can get through the entire course in half the year (I did with my tutor) and because math is so logical it makes it quite fun tbh. Dedication to practising math on past papers and textbook work (even textbooks your school isn't using) is a great way to minimise silly mistakes. You can't really get anything understand if you know the math principles. That being said the last question will always be butts to nail but it's possible.

Legal Studies - Little bit draggy in Year 11 but it definitely picks up in Year 12. Unfortunately Crime is a little bit dull to study, as enoilgam stated above, but it's not terribly difficult or dense and tested ridiculously easily in the exam for something that is supposed to take up 30% of the course. Human Rights is very interesting, albeit, scarily confronting, but you find you can be very passionate about Legal while studying Human Rights. The rest are electives - we did Consumer Law and Family Law. Consumer Law was what I found to be most enjoyable for reasons unknown to me, it kind of just clicked. Family Law was very odd in that you get bored studying the raw content but find it really interesting when studying cases and stuff. I liked it overall, and the exam is generally really easy, so if you study well you have good prospects :)

jazzawhat

HSC
Solid roll of subjects! Are you planning on doing 4u Math?

Just my opinions on some of the subjects you chose that I did:

Advanced English - English is English. There's nothing much to say about it. Some people enjoy it, others hate it. I myself hated the course but you have to get through it so there's no use not doing it properly. Advanced is more about mastery of techniques and synthesis in your essays so make sure you pick out exemplary related texts and be meticulous about details. Memorise only if your essay is hugely adaptable, otherwise make sure you know your quotes and concepts in detail. It's a much easier Band 6 than people realise, and always do an unconventional creative writing piece because Belonging is very easily 45/45able. Make clear links to the question and syllabus in you essays and make sure everything is relevant. Don't waste words.

Math 2U - Pretty easy subject. You can get through the entire course in half the year (I did with my tutor) and because math is so logical it makes it quite fun tbh. Dedication to practising math on past papers and textbook work (even textbooks your school isn't using) is a great way to minimise silly mistakes. You can't really get anything understand if you know the math principles. That being said the last question will always be butts to nail but it's possible.

Legal Studies - Little bit draggy in Year 11 but it definitely picks up in Year 12. Unfortunately Crime is a little bit dull to study, as enoilgam stated above, but it's not terribly difficult or dense and tested ridiculously easily in the exam for something that is supposed to take up 30% of the course. Human Rights is very interesting, albeit, scarily confronting, but you find you can be very passionate about Legal while studying Human Rights. The rest are electives - we did Consumer Law and Family Law. Consumer Law was what I found to be most enjoyable for reasons unknown to me, it kind of just clicked. Family Law was very odd in that you get bored studying the raw content but find it really interesting when studying cases and stuff. I liked it overall, and the exam is generally really easy, so if you study well you have good prospects :)
At this stage no but if I breeze through MX1 then I'll give it a shot! Thank you so much, this was really helpful! :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Why aren't you doing at least 1 science - Physics or Chemistry. Without a Science unit, many courses are closed to you, should you wish to pursue a non-Humanities or Social Science course (incl Commerce). Don't you ever think you can do a bridging course should the need ever arise.

If you hope to do Law or Commerce, Economics is a good foundational course. You don't need Legal or Business Studies.

jazzawhat

HSC
Why aren't you doing at least 1 science - Physics or Chemistry. Without a Science unit, many courses are closed to you, should you wish to pursue a non-Humanities or Social Science course (incl Commerce). Don't you ever think you can do a bridging course should the need ever arise.

If you hope to do Law or Commerce, Economics is a good foundational course. You don't need Legal or Business Studies.
I'm not doing science because I dislike it with a passion. Well, actually hate. Wait, you suggest a science for a commerce degree or am I reading that wrong? I'm actually hoping to do a commerce degree with possibly law as well, hence legal studies. As for business, I think I'll enjoy a less rigourous academic subject that still has some benefits for my future, even if they are small. :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you are sure you'll be doing Commerce or Law, then it's OK to be without Science. What I worry for some youngsters who do no Science is that they later want to pursue a course requiring a science background and realise too late afterwards they have made no provision for that possibility.

jazzawhat

HSC
If you are sure you'll be doing Commerce or Law, then it's OK to be without Science. What I worry for some youngsters who do no Science is that they later want to pursue a course requiring a science background and realise too late afterwards they have made no provision for that possibility.
Trust me, I see zero science in my future. I actually count down the number of science lessons I have left. Thanks anyway! I'm definitely going for a career in finance :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Trust me, I see zero science in my future. I actually count down the number of science lessons I have left. Thanks anyway! I'm definitely going for a career in finance :)
Good. Pleez help me make lots of money so that I won't need to work as a tutor.

Billion-Air

HSC
Hi I'm really nervous about subject selection.
Good you guys PLEASE, rate my subjects and tell me how they'll scale .

2U Maths ( Advanced)
Advanced English
Chemistry
Economics
Business Studies
Modern History

HSC
Okay, so I have finally decided on my subjects after much deliberation.

They are:
Advanced English
Mathematics 2 unit
Extension 1 Mathematics
Economics
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Studies of Religion 2 unit

Who here enjoys these subjects or has any opinions on them? Also any advice as to what I can and can't look forward to?

Thanks!
I do adv eng. math & ext 1 too honestly do what YOU love and what YOU are good at I would change nearly all of my subjects because I wish someone told me that at the end of the day it's what you are good at and what you would look forward to doing everyday

anyway I wish you the best goodluck!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)