Opinions on group study? (1 Viewer)

jarrodoliver1

HSC
Do you believe it is beneficial? Would independent study be more beneficial? How would you group study? Would you all kinda sit over a past hsc paper and work it out etc?

Thanks.

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it depends on the people. If everyone in the group is there because they want to do well, and everyone can work well together, then yes it is a good way to study. However, it's usually the most beneficial to the person who takes the lead and fills the position of 'tutor' to others in the group. It's when you're teaching someone something that you learn best. Hope this helps. Also - if you know you are likely to become distracted by certain people, try not to invite them into the study group.

prazo94

HSC
Yeah like elissajean said distractions can arise and make sure you actually have people who genuinely want to do well in your study group...
Another adv of group studying is sharing notes/past papers- with the hsc make sure you do as many past papers as you can(both school exams and hsc exams) and try compare notes with your friends-they may have some points that you've missed or haven't covered well!

such_such

HSC
Group study is a very beneficial. You could quiz each other and fix the holes in their knowledge. I think having things like races and competition makes it more fun. Have penalties and prizes, etc.

Keep it up to a group of around 4 people, and invite people who you know will effectively engage in study. Even inviting one person who doesn't do anything but distracts, will make you do minimal work. Take hourly breaks for around 5-10 minutes though. I also recommend that everyone should eat first, that way you have more time to study. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to travel to eat and once you start talking, it's hard to stop. And when you resume work, it's not like you're in the mood to do it anyway. You can always eat together after.

mac1996

HSC
Well I think it depends on how you guys learn. But I don't think its the right time to do group work with people that go to our school, because some of those people will ultimately be your competitors.

clover_

HSC
Personally group study has never worked for me, distractions and the fact that the bottom line is getting a good ranking. Sharing/collaborating notes is useful though and studying with a friend or two (doing individual study) can motivate you to keep going.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Don't group study, get distracted especially with friends

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
For me personally i never get any effective study done, my friends are just to much of a distraction unless it is like a day before an exam and everyone is focused. It just depends on you.

fionarykim

HSC
I know ppl always say its really useful and helpful coz when your physically explaining to other ppl you know it much more better
but the several times ive done group study it never worked out well. i mean we get alil done but i coulda done much more at home
i dont know why though :S

jellyo

HSC
i always get distracted, so i prefer studying alone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)