Open High School? (1 Viewer)

entersandman

HSC
N/A
Hey there

Just curious, is anyone here enrolled at the Open High?
If so, is it any good? Do they teach you the material really well or is a lot of the content you have to learn independently and submit homework to the tutors there very often?
Any comments/opinions about it would be greatly appreciated.

asdfqwerty

HSC
I did OHS for Japanese Beginners but dropped it. You have to do everything on your own and basically once a week, you have a phone call chat with them for around 10-30 minutes, depending on how well you know your work. You must be really really independent and must be eager to do the work because when I did it sometimes I felt like crap or cbf doing it and at times, it felt like a chore that I have to do rather than something that I need to learn.

Also, usually once per term or per semester they invite you to come to OHS to meet other students and revise through the stuff, but most of the time, it was really bludgy but fun as all we did was play games.

You are supposed to submit your work once per week, but if there's exam at your school etc. they are lenient. They usually do not care if you don't submit your work but it's to an extent where if you haven't submitted your work for a few weeks they will remind you and ask you why. As long as you're up to date with everything, it's all good.

But overall, you must learn everything independently and you must learn to love it. Hope it helps.

P.S. I enjoyed it for a while until it got to the hard stuff that I couldn't study by myself. I ended up ranking around 30/130 something though which is pretty good.

Last edited:

entersandman

HSC
N/A
Ahh kk
See the thing is, I had a couple of friends who did Japanese continuers for their HSC a few years ago and I don't think they did very well.
At least, I know one of them got a band 3 and he studied really hard for it as far I was concerned (I'm guessing maybe he lost motivation the last minute due to the amount of homework and I vaguely remember him complaining about it).
I wouldn't have mind continuing it after Yr 10 but the idea that only us 3 wanted to take it, we could not form a class at school. So I thought screw it, I don't trust some external centre that sends you work to do, sounds very unmotivating?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)