open day (1 Viewer)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
The question should should be asking - not that I'm interested, I've got stuff to do) - is "Where" because there's nowhere you can get breakfast except the colleges (or am I not paying attention here?), and you probably won't be able to get into the colleges until breakfast is over.

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
annieclassof06 said:
Im going to the open day this Friday... breakfast at UNE with me anyone?
I don't live at a college these days, but i noticed on the morning program for Open Day you have breakfast in the colleges form 7.30 and from 8.30 you go on tours of the residences. The program is here if you're coming and don't have one already. http://www.une.edu.au/news/openday2006.pdf

pics of last years open day at http://photodatabase.une.edu.au/thumbnails.php?album=search&cat=0&page=2

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Once again, proven wrong. And once again, I was over-looked by the college when I put my name down for giving tours around Duval. C'est la vie.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
They probably wouldn't have much on postgrad at the open day, right?

I've been asking about postgrad at UWS, and the careers people and my course co-ordinator have been absolutely useless :(

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Thanks :) I sent them an email about it. They replied with:

All faculties will be represented on Open Day and will be available in
Lazenby Hall between 9.30am-2.00pm for course advising and academic advice.
They will be able to provide information on both undergraduate and
postgraduate studies.

Looks like a rushed trip to Armidale this weekend :(
In the midst of one billion uni assignments, but it will be nice to get out of Sydney for a while.

Now I just have to organise everything very quickly! essh!

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
Cape said:
Thanks :) I sent them an email about it. They replied with:

All faculties will be represented on Open Day and will be available in
Lazenby Hall between 9.30am-2.00pm for course advising and academic advice.
They will be able to provide information on both undergraduate and
postgraduate studies.

Looks like a rushed trip to Armidale this weekend :(
In the midst of one billion uni assignments, but it will be nice to get out of Sydney for a while.

Now I just have to organise everything very quickly! essh!
Sounds great. While it was about 19 degress today they're predicting it to be 2-14 and cloudy on open day...so a jumper might come in handy for when people are outside.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
hmm ... thats a little cold :p

I have a few random questions, hope that they don't seem too stupid. I've never been to armidale before.
- I've got an assignment due on Friday, is there somewhere in town that I can print it off or can I print at the uni or do I have to be a student at the uni to print?
- Is everything pretty much in walking distance of everything? I'm catching the train up, so I don't want to be walking a mile.

hmm ... thats all I can think of at the moment.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
"Too cold"? Pffft. Coastie.

Friday is Open Day. Unless you're planning to hand it in when you return to Sydeny, you'll probably have to hand it in early (if you use drop-boxes like us it shouldn't be a problem). If you intend to print it off up here, you'd probably have to do it in town since you need a student card to print on-campus and you need to be a student to get one of those. That said, you might be able to do it at the Student Union, but don't bet on it. The only place I can think of that would do it is the library.

I wouldn't call it walking distance, unless you're used to walking a fair way. The station is a few kilometres from the college end of the campus; you'll need to add another click to get Up Top, which is probably where you'll need to be. There might be buses from the station to the campus, but I can't say for certain; the only other way I can think of is to contact someone witha set of wheels to pick you up and ferry you to the campus.

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
Cape said:
hmm ... thats a little cold :p

I have a few random questions, hope that they don't seem too stupid. I've never been to armidale before.
- I've got an assignment due on Friday, is there somewhere in town that I can print it off or can I print at the uni or do I have to be a student at the uni to print?
- Is everything pretty much in walking distance of everything? I'm catching the train up, so I don't want to be walking a mile.

hmm ... thats all I can think of at the moment.
As objectsinspace said the station is probably too far to walk to campus from. I am not doing anything friday morning so if you want, i can pick you up from the station just private message me on bored of studies (and anyone else for that matter) and we can work out something and i'll sort out the printing dilemma. Taxi is another option. From what i hear though there will be buses from the station to campus. But i will find out more.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I had no idea Armidale was so big! I thought it was like the size of say Bathurst or Tamworth (or some other small town out in the sticks) :eek:

Thankyou for your help though :)

Now, I've got to manage not to get lost :p

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I'm um ... not actually that big, really; the town is dependent upon the university to survive - during holidays the town shuts down and when I say it, I mean it shuts down.

still waiting

HSC
Cape said:
I had no idea Armidale was so big! I thought it was like the size of say Bathurst or Tamworth (or some other small town out in the sticks) :eek:

Thankyou for your help though :)

Now, I've got to manage not to get lost :p
Bathurst and Tamworth arent that small, if you want a small town try a place with 500 people or less in it
and dont worry about getting lost around armidale its pretty well sign posted on how to get to une

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
I was wrong there is no bus. I got this message from events.

We don't normally get many people arriving by train and this question has
not been asked before. So, the short answer is no, there is no bus as part
of the Open Day arrangements. At this late stage it would be difficult for
us to organise something to accommodate the students. Perhaps the easiest
way for them to get from the station to the uni is by taxi. Do you know
whether there is a definite group arriving?

We would be interested in any information that you have as to numbers of
students who arrive by train this year, as we would definitely consider this
next year if the numbers warrant a special single service.

* So i was just wondering, who is planning on coming by train to open day?

Armidale is 25-26000 people.
In early-mid 2007, Armidale Plaza and Armidale Centro will be open which will together have around 60 new stores- including Big W, Gloria Jean's etc, etc.

Last edited:

BlackDragon

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
I'm um ... not actually that big, really; the town is dependent upon the university to survive - during holidays the town shuts down and when I say it, I mean it shuts down.
maybe the town shuts down from your perspective, because all the uni students go away but from a non university perspective it certainly doesn't.

lawgrad1

HSC
I agree. Although Armidale is alot quieter during the uni and school breaks, it certainly doesn't shut down. Armidale is a pretty easy city to get around - it was designed by a crown surveyor (or someone like that) who utilised typical "block" style principles (ie: straight streets intersecting at right angles) in planning the layout of the town.

BlackDragon

HSC
yah, if you notice, all the major streets in armidale run north/south or east/west. actually, pretty much all the streets do. p.s. how good will it be when they finish upgrading kmart plaza and when armidale centro is finished!? our CBD will be awesome.

Last edited:

BlackDragon

HSC
I'll see you all at open day tommorow :D I'll be at the course advising allllllll morning, then lunch, then tours of colleges and possibly some faculty specific stuff throughout the day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)