On the day of HSC results, what is given to us? (1 Viewer)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Folks, I'm getting confused as to what UAC utilises for the calculation of the ATAR. On their website, it states:

The actual calculation of your ATAR is a complex process that begins with scaling your raw HSC marks and ends with ranking you among your entire Year 7 cohort.

In terms of 'raw HSC marks', is that the final overall HSC mark, or am I dreaming? Is it simply the external HSC examination mark? Thus our ranking is pretty much useless, in terms of affecting the marking in which UAC utilises?
Note the word: begins. Your school assessment counts for 50%, don't worry.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
raw HSC mark is the mark u got from ur HSC exam witout the scaling stuffs..

yeah.. speakin of raw HSC marks.. is it possible for us to get our raw HSC marks from BoS?? cause i wanna know how well i went.. rofl..
At present, you can make use of the Freedom of Information Act, which is what I've done - there's more than enough written about that in the UAI/HSC Marks (Technical Arcana) forum somewhere.

tinkz17

HSC
hey can anyone help me how do we recieve our hsc results? and what should one get in each subject to recive a atar of 30 or less?

narno

HSC
I am soooo confused i thought your rank was important????? thats what my careers adviser said she has been estimating everyones ATAR according to their ranks. As she told me that your internal mark is not important unless everyone in the whole of NSW sat the exact same assessments, so only your ranks are. She told me thats why we do HSC so that it can even everyone out and act as a equaliser. That is so crap if my ranks dont help me :(

elliotkool

HSC
i havent been able to think past november the 3rd yet (my last exam)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I am soooo confused i thought your rank was important????? thats what my careers adviser said she has been estimating everyones ATAR according to their ranks. As she told me that your internal mark is not important unless everyone in the whole of NSW sat the exact same assessments, so only your ranks are. She told me thats why we do HSC so that it can even everyone out and act as a equaliser. That is so crap if my ranks dont help me :(
Yes, your ranks are used to adjust your school assessment marks in the moderation process. It's a rather confusing process, but suffice to say it's worked well enough so far.

gabgab

HSC
your ranks is used to calculate the mark you get for your external exam.

e.g, if you are internally ranked 7th in english advanced, and you got 93 as your exam mark... then they add that to the exam mark that the 7th ranked external exam mark got from your cohort from your school, then they average it. that doesnt make sense reading back over it, so ill explain it like this:

Bobby = 1st in assess
Freddy = 2nd in assess
micky = 3rd in assess
davey = 4th in assess

freddy = 1st in exam
davey = 2nd in exam
micky 3rd in exam
bobby = 4th in external exam

to calculate bobby's mark, they would add the mark he got in the external exam to freddy's exam mark and average it.

:-0

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

e.g, if you are internally ranked 7th in english advanced, and you got 93 as your exam mark... then they add that to the exam mark that the 7th ranked external exam mark got from your cohort from your school, then they average it. that doesnt make sense reading back over it, so ill explain it like this:

Bobby = 1st in assess
Freddy = 2nd in assess
micky = 3rd in assess
davey = 4th in assess

freddy = 1st in exam
davey = 2nd in exam
micky 3rd in exam
bobby = 4th in external exam

to calculate bobby's mark, they would add the mark he got in the external exam to freddy's exam mark and average it.

This.

The main reason for this is otherwise schools would give their students high marks so they'd perform well. You'd also have problems with students sitting different exams/assessments/marked with different criteria.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A

e.g, if you are internally ranked 7th in english advanced, and you got 93 as your exam mark... then they add that to the exam mark that the 7th ranked external exam mark got from your cohort from your school, then they average it.

Sorry, but that is nonsense. Moderation does NOT reallocate individual exam marks, other than the first and last exam marks. See this article for a correct understanding: http://www.users.on.net/~unix/HSCmarks.pdf

puffiijamii

HSC
^^
So practically speaking, your rank in a subject is pretty much useless, in terms of what it can do for your ATAR?

Fantastic... what a great Christmas present...
Nope. Your mark = 50% Internal and 50% External. External is how you do in the HSC. Internal is based on your ranks. Your school will send in your ranks to the BOS. Say you are 5th in English in your school. That means, that however your school performs in the HSC, the 5th highest mark that you guys get belongs to you. Thus, your mark will be an average of that 5th highest mark of your school and your own mark. If you're ranked last in a subject, you get the lowest mark that you guys score for that subject in your HSC. And if you're first, you will get the highest, etc. etc. So ranks are actually very important and not at all useless. I wish my ranks were better. LOL.

kristiejade

HSC
how do we access our marks and ATAR once they're released? is it on the UAC site?

Rainie

HSC
Yes, your ATAR and marks can be accessed via the UAC site or SMS (if you registered for it to be sent). Your HSC marks are released on the 16th December. ATAR is released the following day.

5233andy

HSC
Sorry, Eldore44, it's just that the more I think of the notion of the ATAR, the more convoluted my mind gets.

Nope. Your mark = 50% Internal and 50% External. External is how you do in the HSC. Internal is based on your ranks. Your school will send in your ranks to the BOS. Say you are 5th in English in your school. That means, that however your school performs in the HSC, the 5th highest mark that you guys get belongs to you. Thus, your mark will be an average of that 5th highest mark of your school and your own mark. If you're ranked last in a subject, you get the lowest mark that you guys score for that subject in your HSC. And if you're first, you will get the highest, etc. etc. So ranks are actually very important and not at all useless. I wish my ranks were better. LOL.
Yeah, I know that the HSC mark is the average of your internal and external marks and the idea of the student retaining their rank throughout the external examination process. What I don't understand is what UAC uses for the calculation of the ATAR. If it is purely the raw mark, then logically, one's rank would have no effect on the ATAR. I know I'm being a pest, but at the moment, I'm thinking that if someone did poorly throughout the year but performed well in the exam (despite their rank allowing their mark to be moderated to be a relatively low mark), their ATAR would be remarkably high...

Please prove me wrong...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)