• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

okay, real serious question this time (1 Viewer)

em_516

bludging..
HSC
lol, as if you couldn't have sent one measly email or something..texting me after a week seems rather pointless imo

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
The_highwayman said:
why is that a problem?
Because I dont want to go to uni on a friday :(

plus now i think about it im actually going away

The_highwayman said:
oh, and i dont know how set ur heart is on Nutrition and Dietetics, but u'd probably get about half of first year biomed credited with the stuff u've done in engineering (eg: maths, physics) and you've done CHEM1010, right?
ohh I saw the chem but didn't know about the others. As long as I can do 3 subs a semester ill be happy. Gotta keep that centrelink money coming in :)

jb_nc said:
why u dropping engo??
I don't study and I'm just a bit over it. It's a bit hard. I kinda miss essays :s

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
i'd love to get an assignement, and the night before sit down and just summarise everything from my textbook and wikipedia. None of this crap where you can't do an assignment because you dont know how to do transform x or how to partially differentiate equation y.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
lol, you're gonna need sources A LOT better than your textbook and wiki, but fair enough..i think you'll still have a bit of the transform x type stuff though

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
in biomed right now, i'm doing this course that is based entirely on interpreting findings from the Human genome project. we have to find the stuff outselves on the databases. It's not really covered in textbooks.
You'll be using journal articles a hell of a lot more to do ur essays than textbooks.

you dont really want to do essays.

you'd pretty much be exchanging one type of difficulty for another. like, in said course, we are each going to be given a disease to study and we have to investigate the proteins, genes and other factors involved. Then we need to investigate other peoples findings about the disease and THEN suggest a course of action we would take to discover something as yet unknown about the disease (that part is guna suck).

When you dont have a passion for such a thing it becomes increasingly harder.

first year, you can get away with 'night before' stuff. second year, however, is a different story.

Does lourai still buzz around these forums? she does N&D.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
you shouldn't really be using textbooks at all..a lot of lecturers/tutors really hate the idea of textbooks because they find them too general and skipping over the finer details etc.

i'm sure it's different for a science textbook, i've seen bio ones and they're stupidly massive..but i'm sure even they can be a tad general and yeh..journal articles are the way to go

em_516

bludging..
HSC
hmm, so i guess they are different then..social science ones are pretty bullshit
i never get textbooks though, we always get reading lists, which can be good for sources :D

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
this decision is getting harder now :(

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
jumb said:
i have 2 days to decide. i need to find out whether financial maths and stats grads w/o honours actually get jobs. if so i am gone

em_516

bludging..
HSC
jumb said:
dude, you've been doing engineering for ages (on the verge of 3 yrs?)! what's your problem with it exactly? you said it's kind of hard right, but nutrition and dietetics isn't going to be particularly easy either and it's COMPLETELY different to what you're learning now

i guess you need to work out how much you're willing to throw away what you've already done and whether you really think you could handle a health/science field, and in the long term as a career..and how bout you leave 'more girls' as a deciding factor out of it ;) :p

i reckon you should stay with engineering but i spose it depends on how much you reeeeeally want n&d

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
blue message!! said:
Hello lourai*87! It appears as though you've not participated in any discussions for several weeks.
Why not take a few moments to ask a question or to assist a student in need? :)
So. I decided to buzz in today how convenient?

You want to be a nudi hey jumb? maybe i should change to engineering.. im sick of no guys. there is one member of the male species in my course =|

Ask many questions (if you wish) - although i cant promise many answers. Preferably in the next few days, as i am going to Moree for prac this weekend..for a month. woot?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
lourai*87 said:
So. I decided to buzz in today how convenient?

You want to be a nudi hey jumb? maybe i should change to engineering.. im sick of no guys. there is one member of the male species in my course =|

Ask many questions (if you wish) - although i cant promise many answers. Preferably in the next few days, as i am going to Moree for prac this weekend..for a month. woot?
What's the work load like?

What is the typical assessment? I mean, is there lots of tests, or essays, or orals/presentations etc.

Could I get away without studying at home, except for cramming the day before exams?

Do you enjoy it?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
jumb said:
Could I get away without studying at home, except for cramming the day before exams?
i highly doubt that, unless you pay awesome attention in class OR you're ok with doing stupidly shit in exams :)

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
=( I just had a nice reply typed up and it killed it.

What's the work load like?
Its up and down. Sometimes we get piled with a shitload of assignments all at once = stress. Depends how much study and work you want to put in (maybe not very much??) - there is a lot to cover, especially with the first year HUBS. It might not seem relevant but i wish i took more notice now because its all the basis for later stuff, so its worth knowing and making sure you understand it (ie study :p). Oh, and 40 units per semester. No electives till 3rd year, and a 4 week prac 2nd sem 2nd year (which im in now).

What is the typical assessment? I mean, is there lots of tests, or essays, or orals/presentations etc.
this might be most useful rather than me rambling on (which i will undoubtedly do anyway).

But as a general observation the biomed (HUBS) tests were mainly multi choice. Nutrition and health based subjects are written/oral work. I think 3 orals so far and another later this year, a major essay, literature review, assignments based on nutrients, learning goals, lab reports... pretty varied really.

Heh, i just read your thing about doing assignment the night before and using wiki and a textbook. probably wouldnt work out too well - they like to make you look for journal articles. and lots.

probably not the best idea. you could probably get by and pass for some things, but like i said, the stuff that seemed pointless at the start actually counts and when the lecturer is there saying 'so what happens with this' and you're sitting there thinking 'shit, yeah, we did stuff on that last year...' some of the exams are worth a fair bit to ie >50%.. so yeah, study isnt such a bad option.

Do you enjoy it?
its been up and down but i'd say yes. initially it was like 'im here to learn about food and nutrition... where is the food' but its all coming together now. kinda liking the sciency stuff more, but hey thats just me.

Do you have an idea of what you might want to do with dietetics, or are you just trying it out, have an interest in health promotion or nutrition etc? Half of the people in mine dont know either mind you.

Anyway, good luck. Sorry for the rambles. Anything else you want to know i'll try to help (and not carry on so much). If its later than saturday, i wont be back for a month.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
nah you gave good answers

I'm thinking I will try to get in anyway even though I shouldn't be accepted. Either way, there should be a pretty major change by next year.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
its 2 years

well, 17 courses, so 2 normal years + 1 course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)