Official World Cup Draw Live Discussion (1 Viewer)

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Australia is in the third hardest group I think: Brazil, Australia, Croatia, Japan. All depends on the legendary Guus now.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Group A
Germany
Costa Rica
Poland
Ecuador

Group B
England
Paraguay
Trinidad & Tobago
Sweden

Group C
Argentina
Cote d'Ivoire
Serbia & Montenegro
The Netherlands

Group D
Mexico
Iran
Angola
Portugal

Group E
Italy
Ghana
USA
Czech Republic

Group F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

Group G
France
Switzerland
Korea
Togo

Group H
Spain
Ukraine
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

nedzelic

HSC
could have been better; could have been worse

Group F

Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

You can enver be ha;ppy when you draw the best team in the history of the sport but i think our aim will be to kick off with a win; very important to not have to go inot the brazil mathc having to win/draw. we would be aiming for 3,1,3 points but obviousaly if we get the fisrt 4 points, we would only require 1 in the final game

overall, it's not hard but it's very advancable. surely we have a superior team to both those two on paper. plus the fact that coratia have half our fucking players! fucking simunic, seric and didulica - we would only really have benefited from simunic out of thoses though
our croats can exact revenge on these trating boys
plus a little bit of post WWII sudney harbour invasion revenge eh!!

but either way we avoided the three non-seeded eu teams that would have been very hard (porkos, czechs and the freak-deeky dutch)

nedzelic

HSC
that draw was rigged though, what the fuck was group a all about. what a pile of horse shite. if germany don't get 9 points then they are pathetic

nedzelic

HSC
in other news, who the fucking was dying from bordome when they got up at 6:15 and the draw didn't start for another fucking hour and a bit

what was all that shite about; milking the occassion

well, once again, nay dumb ass rugby head australian who is living in a sheltered world and thinks "league is more popular than wogball' can have another reality check - by the way the w.c is ALOT more popular than even the olypmics. cos what we just watched, they had estimated was going to attarct an audience of 320million people. so, basically, a bucn of huys drawing balls out of pots was over 30 times more popular than the final of the rugby union w.c.....that says it all doens't it

go the WORLD game

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
if we advance we have to basically play italy or czech republic.
both would smash us

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
OK, so a bit of early analysis:

Group A - Germany and Poland look the goods here. Costa Rica don't look like posing much threat, but Ecuador could cause a couple of problems. Lack of altitude won't help them, though.

Group B - Trinidad & Tobago look to be there to have a bit of fun. However, they could take a couple of points off teams. I personally like the look of Paraguay and Sweden to go through, with England missing out. Both teams are fairly consistent, while England are definitely hit or miss. If they fire, though, they will top the group.

Group C - GROUP OF DEATH. Argentina will be looking to atone for their shocking exit in 2002. The Netherlands have an even larger agenda, not even qualifying for Korea/Japan. However, Serbia & Montenegro are a QUALITY team, finishing undefeated in qualifying, and only conceding one goal (away to Spain in a 1-1 draw). I'm liking the look of Serbia and Argentina to qualify.

Group D - Mexico and Portugal to do it easily. Iran will pose a couple of problems; Angola are there to fill the numbers.

Group E - Fairly tough group. Italy's defensive style will come undone against the class of the Czechs. Czech Republic to finish top of the group, with Italy qualifying over USA. Ghana might just surprise us, but I doubt it.

Group F - Where to start? We were pretty much shat on. And get this. I am half-Serbian, half-Croatian and I support Australia. How do you think I was feeling when Serbia were about to be drawn in our group?!
But in terms of the matches .. Brazil should finish on top easily. The only team I see taking points off them is Croatia. Australia have a must-win match against Japan on June 12, but the Japanese are no mean feat. The second match against Brazil .. well, if we could nab a 0-0 or 1-1 draw, I would be THRILLED. And then the vital match against Croatia. For Australia to qualify, Japan will need to lose to us and take points off Croatia, while we need to at least draw with Croatia as well. All this said, it is pretty hard to go past Brazil and Croatia qualifying.

Group G - France and Switzerland should go through fairly comfortably. Togo will be entertaining, and I think they could cause an upset over France. Korea .. well, they made the semi-finals in '02, and are still a pretty good side. Not an easy group, but the smart money is on G1 and G2.

Group H - An easy group for Spain and Ukraine. Saudis were beaten 8-0 by Germany last World Cup, so Spain and Ukraine should have no trouble disposing of them. Tunisia can do a bit, but I'd be surprised if they knocked off one of the two European teams to make it through to the 16.

So there you have it. My teams to qualify for the Round of 16:
Germany, Poland, Sweden, Paraguay, Argentina, Serbia & Montenegro, Mexico, Portugal, Czech Republic, Italy, Brazil, Croatia, Switzerland, France, Ukraine, Spain.

Notable teams who would miss out on the next round:
England, The Netherlands, USA, Australia, Japan, Korea.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
nedzelic said:
surely we have a superior team to both those two on paper.
Mate, Croatia's squad is very classy. Player for player they beat us definitely.

Japan's squad, I would warrant, is on par with ours. I like our chances against them with Hiddink at the realm.

gordo said:
both would smash us
Italy don't smash anyone. At best they win by two goals.

Czech Republic, in my opinion, will finish top of Group E, so that's who we would have to play, given Brazil finishing first and us topping Croatia. This is a different story, because they are an excellent attacking side. We could get roasted by them.

Would love to get through and then play Italy, though.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I agree with most of what dragonz said except:

Group B - I pick England and Sweden, I just posing a big threat to the two

Group C - Netherlands rather than serbia

Group E - Italy and czech, but Italy to top, their defensive style isnt as applicable anymore, their new look team looked very impressive in their recent 3-1 win to netherlands. The czech's are still good, but not all they used to be.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
nedved could take on the whole italian defence

lookout for the hunk of a man

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
gordo said:
nedved could take on the whole italian defence

lookout for the hunk of a man
Their last meeting was last year, 2-2. It'll be interesting to say the least.

nedzelic

HSC
gordo said:
both would smash us
why would you even discuss on this forum if you have such a pessimistic view
italy are not in thr top 5 seeded teams in my opinion, and the czechs weren't seeded

name the czech starting line-up...can't? see, they're nothing to be feared

if you go around thinking that we can't beatthem, than what's the point of supporting us at all - you're not a real supporter

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
acmilan said:
I agree with most of what dragonz said except:

Group B - I pick England and Sweden, I just posing a big threat to the two

Group C - Netherlands rather than serbia

Group E - Italy and czech, but Italy to top, their defensive style isnt as applicable anymore, their new look team looked very impressive in their recent 3-1 win to netherlands. The czech's are still good, but not all they used to be.
By 'I', I presume you mean Paraguay? Hehe.

What makes you think Serbia won't qualify? They smashed the rest of their group in qualifying, leaving Spain for dead. Perhaps it is bias because I am half-Serbian, but I reckon they will qualify.

And the Czech's aren't all they used to be? Didn't they only just BECOME good? Euro 2004 was their awakening, and since then they have pretty much destroyed everything in their path. Italy's win against Holland was very good, but it must be noted that they have often been more attacking in friendly matches than in competitive ones. They will be relying largely on Totti and Vieri again, while the Czech's have a powerhouse midfield (plus a couple of top strikers to finish movements off).

I dunno, but I even think the Czech Republic could come REALLY close to making the final of the tournament.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
nedzelic said:
name the czech starting line-up...can't? see, they're nothing to be feared
Well name Argentina's starting line-up. Or Mexico's? Both teams are seeded, and both have strong squads. But because we can't name their whole squad, they're nothing to be feared either?

The Czech's have awesome players in Jan Koller, Karel Poborsky, Milan Baros, Petr Cech, Tomas Rosicky, and Pavel Nedved. That's six .. woopdedoo.

And don't ignore the fact that they are ranked number two in the world. Even though the ranking system is pretty screwed, they've still got themselves there anyway.

nedzelic

HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Group C - GROUP OF DEATH. Argentina will be looking to atone for their shocking exit in 2002. The Netherlands have an even larger agenda, not even qualifying for Korea/Japan. However, Serbia & Montenegro are a QUALITY team, finishing undefeated in qualifying, and only conceding one goal (away to Spain in a 1-1 draw). I'm liking the look of Serbia and Argentina to qualify.
*no way, holland are through for sure with the argies - i think you are looking at this form a serb's perspective

DRAGONZ said:
Group E - Fairly tough group. Italy's defensive style will come undone against the class of the Czechs. Czech Republic to finish top of the group, with Italy qualifying over USA. Ghana might just surprise us, but I doubt it.
*i can see italy going out

DRAGONZ said:
Group F - Where to start? We were pretty much shat on. And get this. I am half-Serbian, half-Croatian and I support Australia. How do you think I was feeling when Serbia were about to be drawn in our group?!
But in terms of the matches .. Brazil should finish on top easily. The only team I see taking points off them is Croatia. Australia have a must-win match against Japan on June 12, but the Japanese are no mean feat. The second match against Brazil .. well, if we could nab a 0-0 or 1-1 draw, I would be THRILLED. And then the vital match against Croatia. For Australia to qualify, Japan will need to lose to us and take points off Croatia, while we need to at least draw with Croatia as well. All this said, it is pretty hard to go past Brazil and Croatia qualifying
*bias in favour of the croats

DRAGONZ said:
Group G - France and Switzerland should go through fairly comfortably. Togo will be entertaining, and I think they could cause an upset over France. Korea .. well, they made the semi-finals in '02, and are still a pretty good side. Not an easy group, but the smart money is on G1 and G2.
* i wouldn't say the swiss are comfortbale by any means - i think if they make ti to the 2nd round they would be thrilled

nedzelic

HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Well name Argentina's starting line-up. Or Mexico's? Both teams are seeded, and both have strong squads. But because we can't name their whole squad, they're nothing to be feared either?

The Czech's have awesome players in Jan Koller, Karel Poborsky, Milan Baros, Petr Cech, Tomas Rosicky, and Pavel Nedved. That's six .. woopdedoo.

And don't ignore the fact that they are ranked number two in the world. Even though the ranking system is pretty screwed, they've still got themselves there anyway.

i'm just saying, they're shit still stinks. don't put them up this almight pedistall - we have as many 'big names' as they do -kewell, viduka, cahill, schwarzer, bresciano..... are all well known

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ said:
By 'I', I presume you mean Paraguay? Hehe.

What makes you think Serbia won't qualify? They smashed the rest of their group in qualifying, leaving Spain for dead. Perhaps it is bias because I am half-Serbian, but I reckon they will qualify.

And the Czech's aren't all they used to be? Didn't they only just BECOME good? Euro 2004 was their awakening, and since then they have pretty much destroyed everything in their path. Italy's win against Holland was very good, but it must be noted that they have often been more attacking in friendly matches than in competitive ones. They will be relying largely on Totti and Vieri again, while the Czech's have a powerhouse midfield (plus a couple of top strikers to finish movements off).

I dunno, but I even think the Czech Republic could come REALLY close to making the final of the tournament.
Not really, IMO the czech of the late 90s were are much stronger side (that team actually beat Italy in the euro 96). Don't get me wrong, czechs are still a high quality team and will be hard to beat, I personally think it'll end in a draw like last year, but other results in the group will decide it, possibly both finishing on 7 points. And Italy wont be relying on Totti and Vieri, last I checked neither have been/were prominent figures of recent times, look for the likes of Toni and Gilardino, I have doubts over whether Vieri will even be started in the world cup games.

As for the serbs, it'll be a tough group, i have no doubts argentina will be through but I think netherlands will overcome serbia.

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
There seems to be a Europe vs Brazil line hiden in the draw. Assuming Brazil wins Group F, they'll take on the runnerup (Italy or Czech) of Group E. If through, Spain (probably) will be awaiting in the quarter final. Then possibly another European team (e.g. England, Portugal, Holland) in the semis. We'll see how long the Brazillians will last this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)