Official UAI Results (1 Viewer)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
IceOnFire said:
You cannot honestly believe a distinction to HD average is achievable at uni through, "I never went to class. Never done my homework. I swear I didn't do any homework this yr. I hate school."

Since you are the uni student here, can anyone achieve high marks through studying days before the big exam? I am sure there are some people who are geniuses out there, but even those people must have done some degree of work.
i second that

perster

HSC
SAM - 91.7
JUAI - 91.4
actual uai - 90.90

i was kinda surprised that my actual uai was quite different to the predictions but im over the moon with my uai xD. i totally wasn't expecting to hit the 90's so its all good ^^.

Providence.

Banned
HSC
N/A
einentiva said:
100 uai sam 101

bachelor of rocket science at nasa
If people learned of your existence, they would want to become just as you are! They would want to become like you!
And that's the reason why... your existence cannot be allowed!

- Rau Le Creuset

Student Mum

HSC
Well, congratulations to all those people that got marks in the 90's. I did my darn best with trying to get a decent Limited UAI - I was not able to do better than 63.70. I felt peeved because I know what I went through just to be able to find time to study between a job and the kids and come up with a pass. My assessment mark for English was lowered, I am not happy that I was not allowed to finish up with an assessment mark in the 80's for English Advanced.

My final results were:

English Advanced - Exam Mark 72, Assessment Mark 75, Final Mark 74
Modern History - Exam Mark 78, Assessment Mark 78, Final Mark 78
Ancient History - Exam Mark 74, Assessment Mark 61, Final Mark 68

Final Limited UAI: 63.70

I thought it would be a good idea to study English Advanced, Modern History and Ancient History. My logic in picking these subjects was that they were my areas of interest and the reality for me was that Maths and Science were not subjects I was good at when I was at school many years ago. Also, I wanted to get into an Arts course, not rocket science! I did not realise that my Limited UAI would be affected by my choice of subjects.

Just to top it off, every item of correspondence I received in relation to the HSC had the words "NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE HIGHER SCHOOL CERTIFICATE". You would think I didn't know this when I first enrolled, I was told very clearly two years ago. It would have been nice to receive something that rewards you for what you have done, but not remind you of what you are not eligible for. I spoke to someone in the Board of Studies, but was reassured it was a bureaucratic thing. It can be regarded as a fact of life that any person doing fewer than six subjects for the next twenty years is going to receive piece of paper telling them what they're not eligible for. No one is going to change the stationery issued by the Board of Studies. We'll probably be having this same issue in fifty years.

Anyway, those of you reading this might think I've got sour grapes. Well, I don't, I am happy for those who were allowed to keep their high assessments and I did pass, after all. I just wish I was allowed to keep my higher English assessment mark, I worked so hard for it, especially as a mature age student. I studied with OTEN, so given the plans the education system has for this campus they have to keep the marks as low as possible to justify their decisions. What a shame that people forget how much good OTEN has done for the community, it's certainly helped me study via distance, it was the only way I could do it with a family and a job.

It's not the end of the road, I'm starting my studies with Open Universities Australia, and doing units that interest me. It still contributes towards a degree and after doing a few units I might apply as a mature age student with one of the universities of my choice. I'm still determined to get myself that hallowed piece of paper at the end of it all, regardless of how long it takes and how much study I have to do to get there.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
Student Mum said:
Well, congratulations to all those people that got marks in the 90's. I did my darn best with trying to get a decent Limited UAI - I was not able to do better than 63.70. I felt peeved because I know what I went through just to be able to find time to study between a job and the kids and come up with a pass. My assessment mark for English was lowered, I am not happy that I was not allowed to finish up with an assessment mark in the 80's for English Advanced.

My final results were:

English Advanced - Exam Mark 72, Assessment Mark 75, Final Mark 74
Modern History - Exam Mark 78, Assessment Mark 78, Final Mark 78
Ancient History - Exam Mark 74, Assessment Mark 61, Final Mark 68

Final Limited UAI: 63.70

I thought it would be a good idea to study English Advanced, Modern History and Ancient History. My logic in picking these subjects was that they were my areas of interest and the reality for me was that Maths and Science were not subjects I was good at when I was at school many years ago. Also, I wanted to get into an Arts course, not rocket science! I did not realise that my Limited UAI would be affected by my choice of subjects.

Just to top it off, every item of correspondence I received in relation to the HSC had the words "NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE HIGHER SCHOOL CERTIFICATE". You would think I didn't know this when I first enrolled, I was told very clearly two years ago. It would have been nice to receive something that rewards you for what you have done, but not remind you of what you are not eligible for. I spoke to someone in the Board of Studies, but was reassured it was a bureaucratic thing. It can be regarded as a fact of life that any person doing fewer than six subjects for the next twenty years is going to receive piece of paper telling them what they're not eligible for. No one is going to change the stationery issued by the Board of Studies. We'll probably be having this same issue in fifty years.

Anyway, those of you reading this might think I've got sour grapes. Well, I don't, I am happy for those who were allowed to keep their high assessments and I did pass, after all. I just wish I was allowed to keep my higher English assessment mark, I worked so hard for it, especially as a mature age student. I studied with OTEN, so given the plans the education system has for this campus they have to keep the marks as low as possible to justify their decisions. What a shame that people forget how much good OTEN has done for the community, it's certainly helped me study via distance, it was the only way I could do it with a family and a job.

It's not the end of the road, I'm starting my studies with Open Universities Australia, and doing units that interest me. It still contributes towards a degree and after doing a few units I might apply as a mature age student with one of the universities of my choice. I'm still determined to get myself that hallowed piece of paper at the end of it all, regardless of how long it takes and how much study I have to do to get there.
ok just ignore brogan77 he's being a dickhead

wow sounds like you've gone through a lot to get to where you are so cograts! Tho it's a shame about your marks - i know what you mean maths and science do not sui me at all either and i feel that not doing any maths/sciences affected my UAI.
oh well whatever i got the course i wanted so who cares :)

best of luck for the future!

Student Mum

HSC
If Brogan77 knew that I am actually 42 and old enough to be his mum, it would hopefully be the equivalent of a cold shower. To those of you who actually read my post, and said something positive, thanks. It was the second time I did my HSC when I finished last year, I wanted to improve on the first time around which I did almost 25 years ago. I did improve on the results, but just didn't do as well as I hoped. No one is to blame, I just didn't have the time or the patience to manage all the study required so that my essays could be done in less time during the exams.

Right now I'm studying a unit with Open Universities Australia, they offer hope for people like me who either don't have the marks or time to attend lectures at the main universities, for me it's both. I've bought the reader and textbooks for my first subject "Introduction to University Learning". Studying with OTEN helped me form good study habits, so now I'm not worried about studying via distance education, I've been doing my study this way for two years.

Good luck to everyone who is trying to get into the courses of their choice.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Why are you doing your HSC? mature aged entry exists.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
You could of just gone straight to Open Universities instead of OTEN?

Student Mum

HSC
I wanted to get over my issues with the first time I did my HSC. I was too embarrassed to show my results to anyone. Even though I got a UAI in the 60's, my exam marks this time were in the 70's. It was a stage I wanted to go through so I can find the areas I am interested in before I go to uni.

Now, I do feel ready to start Unit SSK12 (Introduction to University Learning) with Open Universities Australia, whereas two years ago I didn't, even though it's only an introductory subject. Don't underestimate the importance of confidence, it plays a part. I don't regret my decision to re-do the HSC, I am more ready for university studies than I ever was. Mentally I'm in that gear and now my kids are getting older and I think I'll be in a better position to study with OUA than I was two years ago.

You can't fix the past, but sometimes you need to do something to help yourself get over the past and I have done what I needed to do with this second attempt at the HSC.

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Student Mum said:
Well, <snip>
Despite your "sour grapes" comment, it still sounds like you think you deserve a higher mark because you're older. Unfortunately for you, you were on a level playing field to all those immature, whipper snappers who have no idea how the world really works. The world isn't against you because of some number representing your age or because you have kids, you picked courses that scale badly and got an average mark in them.

Good on you for taking a step in the right dirrection and having drive, but you weren't hardly done by.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
jumb, what your saying is true...but maybe your being a bit harsh?

Student Mum

HSC
For the record, I'm not blaming anyone. I'm learning from my mistakes and I'm trying to go forward. Despite my first dismal attempt at the HSC many years ago, I still completed my Accounting diploma at TAFE and was able to remain employed in the accounting field for over twenty years. I'm studying the Arts more for personal interest not to start over in another field.

Good luck to the people that performed well in their HSC, nobody can take anything away from what any of you achieved. I've thought about what is important, and I got out of my recent HSC attempt what is valuable to me now: confidence to study at a higher level. Despite my UAI, I'm still proud of the 78 I got for Modern History. It was higher than I expected.

For what it's worth, I'm content with what I've done now, and putting it all into some perspective.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Student Mum, please don't feel the need to justify yourself to a bunch of teenage wankers... It's making me upset :)

Student Mum

HSC
Thank you, I appreciate your support. A couple of stupid remarks aren't going to make any difference to my long-term study plans. I've got my confirmatioin letter, books and ready to go, waiting for early March for my course to start.

The ones who make these snide comments to me now will get an enormous reality check at university when they come up against people who are smarter than them, and lecturers who put smart-asses in their place in their first week of university. I have spent many years competing for jobs with, and working alongside, people much younger, more educated and smarter than me. So, I'm convinced I'm made of tougher stuff to survive in this environment. I know my place, these smart-asses don't - yet, and their landing will be really hard.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Student Mum said:
The ones who make these snide comments to me now will get an enormous reality check at university when they come up against people who are smarter than them, and lecturers who put smart-asses in their place in their first week of university.
If you look at people's HSC year on the left side of your screen, you'll notice that many of those smart-asses are actually second and third year university students.

They actually know more a lot more about the university system than yourself. Your condescension is grating.

Regardless, post more, you're an interesting contributor.

Student Mum

HSC
Thanks for the compliment, although I'm not sure whether to take it at face value considering your other comments. Notice it took me a while to even see this posting, I do have other priorities.

The fact that those people feel the need to make negative comments about my HSC results and for starting my education again tells me more about their insecurities than any truth they can share. If their comments were constructive, I might have learnt something from them, but all I can see is spite. I'm simply answering back.

Getting 90 or above in one's HSC UAI is an excellent achievement for which a person needs to be congratulated, but it does not make someone an authority on anything in the big picture. I would have thought that somewhere in the process of studying at university level, someone would have shown them that they are starting again when it comes to competing with other people who may be in a position to outdo them, so they would finally learn that there's more out there in the world they don't know yet. I have learnt that lesson early on, since I was a teenager, so no one needed to put me in my place. I've always known my limitations and tried to exceed them wherever possible.

They might be third or fourth year students, but how do we know how many times they've had to do each subject and whether all their results have been achieved through honest hard work? I've used my second attempt at the HSC to learn things I was not paying attention to at school many years ago, and I have learnt a lot more than I imagined. I'm the first to admit that I should have paid more attention and learnt these things at school, but I didn't. Starting my studies with Open Universities Australia is enough for me at the moment. My kids' lives and education are more important to me than any elusive number in the HSC.

Like I've said before, I'm not starting over in a new occupation, I have had one for the last twenty years, and I've remained constantly employed without any gaps. I'm studying subjects that are interesting to me and satisfy my curiosity. I no longer have anything to prove to anyone, that's the good thing about being in your 40's, you don't give a damn what others think of your achievements.

I have regretted taking part in these forums. I actually started writing to exchange ideas and seeing what other people had to say about their subjects and results. All I have seen on this forum since the HSC results were released is a very poor side of humanity. It is not the heights any of you have reached that annoys me, it is how conceited people have become, when before the results were released, none of you knew where you stood and if you could achieve the desired marks.

Go ahead, study while your parents support you, that's the ideal way to have an education. Not all of us do it that way, and it makes a difference to your studies whether there are other mouths to feed. Finish your degrees now, because in your 40's, there are a million obstacles, completing anything is an achievement in itself when financial matters are pressing and there's no one to send money your way or to help you with issues out of your control. If you found yourselves in this position, it would ensure that none of you are cocky about your education anymore.

If your comments about my contributions are genuine, thank you. I just wanted to say what I think and why, but there will be those who have missed the point and think I want their marks. Keep your youth, I'm glad to put that competitive period behind me.

sasan160

v-tec
HSC
u know people wouldnt insult you if you didnt write as if you wer better then them...you sound asif some people shouldnt have parents to support them through school also "All I have seen on this forum since the HSC results were released is a very poor side of humanity" and so forth you make yourself sound like youve had such a hard life and what not, atleast you have electricity to waste your time on the computer writing in this forum...the only lesson i seem to receive of you is "dont fuck around in your hsc year or become like me...woe is me :( " boo hoo...group hug everybody......what about the people in darfur, sbs news showed a woman who saw her young daughter getting shot infront of her nevertheless atleast you tried to get into uni *thumbs up* your number one!!!! you get a prize!!! :D

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Student Mum said:
If your comments about my contributions are genuine, thank you. I just wanted to say what I think and why, but there will be those who have missed the point and think I want their marks. Keep your youth, I'm glad to put that competitive period behind me.
Ofcourse I was genuine in saying you're interesting., I don't have to like something to find it engaging and worthy of study do I? Contrary opinions and experiences are extremely valuable to me.

I don't think anyone was meaning to be flatout negative, they were just being realistic and trying to understand your justification for undertaking the HSC a second time later in life. Most students justifiably see education merely as a means to an end, of increasing their employment opportunities. They are simply trying to understand and learn from your situation, why you would undertake the HSC again when there are cheaper and more direct paths to higher education?

I don't recall anyone making negative comments about your HSC results? People can only offend you, if you allow them to through your own insecurities. If you feel upset when people question your results, it's because you don't want to accept that, for better or worse, they are your results and you deserve them. Take responsibility for your results and be proud of them.

Stop blaming your kids, life, school etc...Both my parents completed their bachelors degrees while raising young kids on a low income and dad went on to complete his masters and Phd, while supporting a family and working full time. Whatever you achieve is your responsibility alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)