Official ECMT 1010 thread. (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Since there's no bos site for uni notes, help, etc I think I should make some.
(I'll prob need a lot of help later on).
-----------------------------------------------------------------
ECMT 1010 7/03 lecture review:
Apart from the fact that I couldn't handle a loud cheery lecturer early in the morning after I had little to no sleep, it was good. Well, we didn't learn much but the fun 2% ecmt/eco trivia aroused me. I tweaked my nipples whilst screeching wildly. I'm looking forward to lessons with him though. Seems like a good guy.
Lecturer: 9/10 (for a mathsy guy). Lecture 2/10 (we didnt learn anything yet).
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes: (Lect attended: 10am)
Not much was really taught.
*GENERAL*
-The computer and maths notes should be made available soon from the copy center, and if I'm not mistaken online.
-Half of the workshops will be conducted in the computer labs (as excel will be used for some stat stuff)
-For each tutorial you attend, statistically, your mark will rise by an average of 1.5%.
-Women on average achieve marks 2% higher then men in econmetrics. In economics, however, men achieve marks 2 % higher then women.
-The lecturer is a silly vagina.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
was that sarcastic :p
Oh and I'm just typing up some notes to help prepare for upcoming lectures this week.
-Data is collected by businesses. This data is basically information and as such should be orgainsed in a simple, logical manner.
-Statistics is the science that analyses data and processes it in order to provide information for deicision making processes.
-Descriptive statistics (I believe we're studying this first) focus on the collection, summarisation and characterisation of data. These statistics have a set number of data over a whiole totality of all things considered. (eg. the census is part of descriptive statistics as everyone participates).
-Inferential statistics estimate a characteristic of a set of data. (eg. ask 20 people whether I have a microscopic penis, and based on their answer an estimate is made).
-Mathematics (boo) of probability theory form inferential statistics.
-In mathematical theory, we select samples (portions of an entire set of data).
-The population (or universe) is the totality of all things in consideration (eg. the number of registered cars).
-Infetrential data calculates summary measure (statistics).
-Parameters is another name for characteristics (eg. the number of air bags in said registered cars)

** the rest coming.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
I should really get the textbook eh.

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Is Tig still doing the lectures for ECMT 1010? He's always very energetic in his lectures...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ok, the last thing I think you'll need for this week:
Since this unit has a great number of people who will complete majors in interrelated subjects (such as acct, mktg, finance, psych etc) the cours is tailored to study the application of statistics to business. As a manager, you would do this in the following ways:
-Properly present and describe information (i.e. data collection)
-Draw conclusions about large populations, based only on information obtained from samples (ie. probability)
-How to improve processes (we're not studying this)
-obtain reliable forecasts (regression model and correlation - don't know what this is as I don't know maths :p )
-I would say that it would be good to apply the statistics to the business that you're thinking of going into. For example, I'm thinking of marketing, thus I think of how knowing statistics could let me know whether a product will be succesful with consumers or not.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
hey stas can u pls keep posting the notes... i picked up ECMT this arvo and swapped for an arts subj, but ive already missed two lectures!!! i'm worried about being up to date

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
hey stas can u pls keep posting the notes... i picked up ECMT this arvo and swapped for an arts subj, but ive already missed two lectures!!! i'm worried about being up to date
I wouldn't be too worried about missing the first 2 lectures, it's generally just an intro to the course, and they didn't test us on 1st week material in the final exam. Downloading the lecture notes should be sufficient.

gibbo67

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
i got it for $50 :)
that's pretty good, i picked up one at the src second hand shop for $78

spin spin sugar said:
don't be too worried, most of what was taught today was in relation to the terminology and the basic underlying principles of statistics i.e. the notes that 1Time4thePpl has already included

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
:( i hope so, i'm going to be clueless enough as it is... i havent done maths for 3 yrs

don't worry, first 2 lectures as scut said r just an intro and aren't tested in the finals....last yr , when i did ecmt 1010, i didn't pay attention till week 3....n still did very well for the mid-sem.....so ull be fine :D

stazi

Nightman
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
I spoke to him about the maths aspects. If you like I can just briefly tell you about what we learnt before marketing or something next week.
Which time slot do u have ecmt in?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
8am mon workshop is tough.
I'm 10am mon, tue, wed as well :)
Now we're in 3 of the same classes.
I hate you for making the room one person more crowded.

I'll type up lecture 2 notes later on (too tired now). Lecture 3 was absolutely bullshit. I mean i'm all up for not doing work. But a 30 minute long story about optomestry and law firms and america and economists is just pointless.

Lainee

HSC
It wasn't pointless! He was giving an example of the application of ECMT to real life situations... which I thought was good since I'm sure someone down the track will complain that they're not learning anything that can be used.

Rorix

HSC
Uh, it wasn't pointless. I'm assuming the exams are going to be something of the sort.......uh we have an exam right? Anyway, it's not going to be a dry 'work out the mean and SD and graph this data'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)