• I couldn't give a toss about them or an apology

Votes: 33 22.6%

• Total voters

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Re: Rudd to say Sorry on February 12

'Bloody bastard Brendan Nelson stole my words'

OPPOSITION leader Brendan Nelson has been accused of ripping off a woman's words in his controversial speech on the apology to the Aboriginal population.

Faye Lynam, a member of the stolen generations who now lives in the northern Victorian town of Shepparton, slammed Brendan Nelson’s speech - which used her own history in an attempt to justify that some “good” came about from the removal of Aboriginal children.

Dr Nelson refused to comment on the matter when contacted by NEWS.com.au.

In his speech Dr Nelson said: “No one should bring a sense of moral superiority to this debate in seeking to diminish the view that good was sought to be done.”

“This is a complex issue… Faye Lynam’s life is one of the Many Voices oral history at the National Library of Australia.”

Dr Nelson then quoted Mrs Lynam’s words: “Personally, I don’t want people to say ‘I’m sorry Faye’ – I just want them to understand.”

He then said there should not be a compensation fund for the stolen generation.

Toxic

Mrs Lynam told the Shepparton News that during Dr Nelson’s “toxic speech”, he used part of her oral history which was recorded by the National Library of Australia seven years ago.

“How dare he use my words, the bloody bastard,'' Mrs Lynam told the newspaper, after reading the text of Dr Nelson’s speech.

“He doesn't realise how much that has hurt, it was a toxic speech.”

She also said the speech had changed her greatly.

‘‘He’s turned my world upside down,” she said. “Why would he use that in such a horrible way?

“It makes me so angry.”

Compensation

Mrs Lynam also told the newspaper that compensation should be given to members of the stolen generation.

In an interview with ABC Radio this morning, Mrs Lynam said Dr Nelson had called her last night and told her he was free to use her words from the NLA – but she said that was not enough.

“He took my story… out of context,” she said.

“And now I feel like I’m stolen all over again… my dignity… I was ashamed to hear that he had done this to me.

“He used… my story for his political career, and he told me he read (these quotes) three years ago, so he had plenty of time to get a hold of me.”

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23218986-2,00.html
Another whining Aboriginal.

bubbly89

HSC

I'm pretty happy Howard didn't turn up, see while I don't like him that much he did exactly what he said he'd do. He didn't support the apology, hence he didn't turn up

He stood his ground and he's perfectly right to refuse to give his blessing on the situation. Additioinally he's not representing anyone anymore, so he has no one to embarrass except himself. I think it would have looked really fake if he had turned up, sort of like a suck up, changing his opinion when he wasn't winning.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Re: Leaders push for 'sorry' compensation

Oh, so they want compo now.

What a surprise.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A

_dhj_ said:
It's not about the current government and people being responsible for what happened. It's about upholding the ideal of compensation for victims of injustice, particularly where that injustice was aggravated by the fact that it was inflicted by the state. It's shouldn't be about "us" against "them", how "we" (Anglo-Saxons) shouldn't compensate to "them" (Aborigines), but about how a society treats victims.

Another example. Would it not be right for a government to set up a relief fund (at the expense of taxpayers) for the victims of a natural disaster notwithstanding the fact that the taxpayers were not responsible for the natural disaster?
This presents an interesting scenario; a law was made, which at the time, was largely accepted and seen as 'for the best'. Once this law has been repealed (for whatever reasons, in this case perceived injustice), victims of it seek compensation for the effects of it.

Using this scenario, should families of those affected by the death penalty, those convicted under blashphemy laws, and those denied migration under the White Australia Act also be eligible for compensation? All of these laws were repealed and are now seen as either unjust or reprehensable. In the case of the death penalty, the damage inflicted went far beyond mere 'interference' on the state's behalf.

If people are going to present arguments framed with notions of injustice and outdated laws, they need to realise that the umbrella extends much further than the stolen generation. What makes it a special case?

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Shaking Paper said:
I saw that on ABC just now, and agree with your sentiment.
Nelson just quoted her, if Rudd had quoted her, you'll see tears in her eyes and whine how Rudd is the best Prime Minister. :rofl:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

gazzalite751 said:
...Back to the point: =P

In my opinion, the stolen generation should just shut up and live with it. I mean seriously, most of the "stolen generation" is getting old anyway and are going to be part of our seniors age group either now or soon. What are they going to do with a couple thousand dollars >.<"

And that raises the question, they have completely ignored the fact that the Australian Government is compensating by trying to provide better welfare support for the CURRENT generation x_X. That brings in the question whether or not the stolen generation is really looking out for themselves, or their future Aborigine generations >.<" (which in my opinion they aren't)

What I hate is that it's tax payer's money going to their pockets, while they sit and do nothing and we have to work our ass off to get where we want to in our life. I saw 2 Aboriginals at the ATM yesterday, and i just felt like wanting to slap their heads off, so they can feel the pain how we have to work our ass off while they get all the benefits by doing NOTHING. :mad:

Total discrimination against us non Aboriginals, WE should sue the Federal government. :)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC

Unlike what the "Timbaland" song suggests.
It's never too late to apologize.

Australia, proof that multi-culturalism does work on the ground.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

Schroedinger said:
I was listening to Wednesday's Hack (Triple J Show) Podcast and it had like 5 crying aborigines that were whining about Nelson's speech. I cracked up on the train laughing so hard. Seriously, they were fucking crying, it was great.
I loved the randoms they interviewed and their pointless statements "it made me think like things were really possible" etc.

Or the Abo lady saying that this is the start of aboriginals being treated equal. Because having not apologised would have meant no one treats them as equal? And the other abo lady crying because people didn't turn their back to Nelson.

oh and the random Canadians opinion having no idea what an opposition leader is.

ConjOB

HSC

fucking dumb cunt, here i was thinking ok she got under 30 in UAI just another stupid australian but then you NERDS go ahead and support her idea. Just because Rudd appologiesed DOESNT mean he is taking responsibility nor is any of the current population. Fuck i would like to king hit a few people on here. If not for the dumb sluts then the retard males with no idea.

Oh well i laugh in the face of you RACIST, and yes i mean RACIST, nothing but RACIST people. See howard is long gone and you people LOST your facist leader noiw HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH goodbye to that cunt and along comes a real leader, now in parliment he couldve kcied that cunt nelson while he was down but he didnt, showing he has better intrests then some racists ambtiond.

Fuck you all, the message was delivered and recieved to whom it was intended to go to and it was greatly appreciated.

Blackfella, whitefella what ever colour it doesnt matter (unless your a BOs racist cunt / sluzza nerd)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

ConjOB said:
fucking dumb cunt, here i was thinking ok she got under 30 in UAI just another stupid australian but then you NERDS go ahead and support her idea. Just because Rudd appologiesed DOESNT mean he is taking responsibility nor is any of the current population. Fuck i would like to king hit a few people on here. If not for the dumb sluts then the retard males with no idea.
So my opinion would be more valid than someone elses because my UAI was > than theirs? Cool.

ConjOB said:
Oh well i laugh in the face of you RACIST, and yes i mean RACIST, nothing but RACIST people. See howard is long gone and you people LOST your facist leader noiw HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH goodbye to that cunt and along comes a real leader, now in parliment he couldve kcied that cunt nelson while he was down but he didnt, showing he has better intrests then some racists ambtiond.
Did you also hear about Howard's plan? Ok, it's not yet confirmed but my CB radio picked up some secret AFP chatter that Howard was planning a 'third reich' and something about a 'final solution'.

ConjOB said:
Fuck you all, the message was delivered and recieved to whom it was intended to go to and it was greatly appreciated.

Blackfella, whitefella what ever colour it doesnt matter (unless your a BOs racist cunt / sluzza nerd)
You're so cool:)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

Schroedinger said:
Hahhaa, I nearly balked at the whole concept of "Why is he allowed to question what the Prime Minister says?"

And everyone going batshit about him ruining Rudd's apology.

Fuck THOSE GUYS.
I'm going to listen to some of it again for lols. "did you turn ur back to him during his speech?" *pause* "no, but I should have".

See, when you turn your back to a video screen the speaker gets really offended and you can no longer hear them. Its true. I read it in the Quran.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

ConjOB said:

wow that's crying out for a dramatic reading.

anyway. if you're too dumb to understand the point we're all making then personally i'm done talking about it, k. go masturbate over rudd somewhere else.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC

ConjOB said:
Just because Rudd appologiesed DOESNT mean he is taking responsibility
Responsibility is a necessary condition for an apology. Rudd didn't apologise but simply said a few words to try shut everyone up, but now, as we suspected, the compo claims are rolling in.

boris

Banned
HSC

ConjOB said:

ConJob. Interesting name.

*locks away valuables*

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

hfis said:
This presents an interesting scenario; a law was made, which at the time, was largely accepted and seen as 'for the best'. Once this law has been repealed (for whatever reasons, in this case perceived injustice), victims of it seek compensation for the effects of it.

Using this scenario, should families of those affected by the death penalty, those convicted under blashphemy laws, and those denied migration under the White Australia Act also be eligible for compensation? All of these laws were repealed and are now seen as either unjust or reprehensable. In the case of the death penalty, the damage inflicted went far beyond mere 'interference' on the state's behalf.

If people are going to present arguments framed with notions of injustice and outdated laws, they need to realise that the umbrella extends much further than the stolen generation. What makes it a special case?
Unlike in the death penalty example, the proposed compensation isn't to be awarded to the families of the victims, but to the victims themselves. Unfortunately death penalty victims are already dead and cannot be compensated. Those who were punished under blasphemy laws still broke the law at the time, and if the assumption is that ignorance of the law is no excuse, the mere contravention of an (albeit unjust) law undermines the notion of legality. As far as I'm aware the Stolen Generation did not break any laws. In regards to the White Australia Act, the wrong committed was not a positive act but an omission (the failure to grant approval to immigration applicants), whereas being taken away from one's family was a positive act of intervention.

I do think you raised a valid concern however, and better examples could probably have been found to support the concern. If this does set a precedent I think it is a beneficial precedent, for it discourages future governments from enacting policies that so clearly violates natural justice. I'd be deeply concerned if future governments committed wrongs so often that we ought to be calculating the precedent value of awarding compensation. In practice the floodgates are narrowed by the length of the victim's natural life.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

in the same line of argument, do jews have a valid claim for compo from the german government? although not the same political party and the current government clearly condemns nazi policies, nazi was the german government nonetheless.

what is it about money that makes the stolen generation survivors tick? how much are they after in each scenario? millions? money is not going to reverse history, nor will it bring closure to the pain they've suffered. if one argues that it in fact does bring closure, then would you be willing to leave your family for an x amount?

the apology is a really formal step for a future government to admit its wrong doing on behalf of its past government/s. how often do you see a parliment acknowledge its mistakes when they are not the one who passed the laws and policies? what we can do, instead of compo, is recognise the natives as part of our nation, as we have, and try to raise their living standards without concern over the money we spend on them.

boris

Banned
HSC

What. the hell.
a really formal step for a future government to admit its wrong doing on behalf of its past government/s. how often do you see a parliment acknowledge its mistakes when they are not the one who passed the laws and policies?
Never because it doesnt make any fucking sense for a future government to admit its wrong doing on behalf of a past government. That doesnt even make any sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)