o-week and access membership card? (1 Viewer)

funnytomato

HSC
There seems to be nothing much too do at O-week from what I've seen, so what's the most useful activities happening during it? I'm sorta considering not going...

Also is it worth it to buy the access card? like, what exactly do we get?

izzy88

HSC
There will be lots to do at o-week but the timetable etc is still being finalized. I would recommend at least going for one day to see what it's like/see campus/meet people.

I've always bought an access card- I like to be a member of clubs and societies- there are lots with a wide interest range- music clubs/orchestras/drama/games/faculty clubs and academic interests eg history society etc. You need to have an access card to join any of the clubs. the access card also offers discounts both on campus and off-campus eg many food outlets on campus offer a discount and same with food places/shops/bars in newtown and broadway. Go to the access card site and it will give a list of all the discount places offered as well as clubs and societies.

funnytomato

HSC
ok, I'll probably go on the Wednesday. But should I get the access card for 3years, since it's got a discount?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
the most useful thing you can do is walk to central and catch the 393 or 395 bus to UNSW and attend their far better, funner o-week.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Cant you sign up and pay the club registration fees like UTS or do you really need a card to sign up to example DOTA club?

The card is abit expensive for poor student like me.

bineal

HSC
clubs and societies are all scams

access card is a rip

usyd run by jews

izzy88

HSC
Cant you sign up and pay the club registration fees like UTS or do you really need a card to sign up to example DOTA club?

The card is abit expensive for poor student like me.
Unless you are joining a faculty club (eg arts, law society) then you need an access card to join any club- you still have to then pay a membership fee of the actual club (free-$10). This is necessary because all clubs are run/given funding by the union, so to take part, you need to be a member of the union (by buying an access card).

speedofsound

HSC
i got a brochure about o-week in the mail... there's a couple of talks and other things i'm considering going to. i'm still trying to decide on an access card as well. the hopeful side of me wants to join clubs and be social but the lazy side of me is cbf.

Deathless

HSC
i got a brochure about o-week in the mail... there's a couple of talks and other things i'm considering going to. i'm still trying to decide on an access card as well. the hopeful side of me wants to join clubs and be social but the lazy side of me is cbf.
Which talks you considering?

dancegurl

HSC
Yeah, i would love to join some clubs at usyd but the access card is soo pricey. so we have to buy the access card if we want to join any club? i thought some clubs let people without the card to join?

izzy88

HSC
Yeah, i would love to join some clubs at usyd but the access card is soo pricey. so we have to buy the access card if we want to join any club? i thought some clubs let people without the card to join?
If they are a usu club you must be a member of the usu to join. That is a rule of the usu which the clubs must follow- they are only funded for the usu members that are a part of the club, and they are not supposed to have members that do not have access cards. It used to be different, but those are the rules now. (only exception is faculty societies). The access card really isn't that much when you consider the discounts you get for food on and off campus as well as the ability to join the clubs (it makes sense to me- all the club activities are funded by the usu, and a membership cost is one way in which the usu gets money to support the club and society program).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)