NSW to dump UAI! New Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) (2 Viewers)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: NSW to dump UAI!

well your're not gonna be up against QLD, thats for sure...

edit: nvm, lazarus said nsw only :)

well a bit of a relief, but still UAC is effed in the head, so is kevin rudd, so is the education system and the education board of australia. :burn:

Venom.

HSC

It makes sense actually.

Just makes it easier to get into interstate universities I guess.

q3thefish

HSC

Interesting. Interesting indeed. Meh, my goal of 97 err.. ATAR lol is gonna look slightly better in comparison with 99.95.

I don't really mind the change but I kinda like the round and triple digit number: 100 :/

The name ATAR is lame as well lol. [ aye-tahr ] sounds so frikkin weird.

"Yo what ATAR u get?" - like the hell?

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC

its all Verity Firth's fault :mad1:

i swear, they should appoint ex100UAIers as the minister for education and training, people who actually care about our education.

ZaraKu

HSC

I'm guessing this change will also apply to people doing courses at TAFE or uni that give them a UAI equilvalent to apply for an undergraduate degree.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A

hmmz so that means if my 99.90 is the same in nsw as well as victoria.

That means our atar is scaled by subject and then also by state, as the states have variation in difficutly of their tests.

If not that means itll be easier to lets say go to N.T. where its easier to top the state (as compared to nsw) and it will be equivalent.

If it is scaled then that means then people will try and shift to smarter states.. (just like trying to shift to smarter schools i.e. selective) to get scaled higher.. so more influx into city...

Also this would mean the abolishment of the univeristies making tables to equivalate between states, as iv read on some uni websites previously vce marks are exactly equal to uai marks (where in reality they probably aren't). Fairer in that sense, more standardised, however we are left with the problem of states scaling higher then others or shifting to states for easier marks.

How troublesome.

Last edited:
Q

quirkyfly

What?! Why so abruptly? :confused:
Does this mean we will be ranked amongst all of Australia?
Are you kidding me ...?

Venom.

HSC

Too many people are freaking out

See - Lazarus' posts.

samthebear

HSC

It makes sense actually.

Just makes it easier to get into interstate universities I guess.
That actually works against us. it means that more ppl would probs apply to universities here since their rank is the same. more ppl = higher rank entrance mark.

Damn.

Drone23

HSC

Let's all go crazy and eat each others heads!

Venom.

HSC

That actually works against us. it means that more ppl would probs apply to universities here since their rank is the same. more ppl = higher rank entrance mark.

Damn.
I doubt it. It'd be balanced out quite evenly by the students exiting Sydney - See Monash etc.

samthebear

HSC

i'm going to hold on to the hope that more people would go to another university in another state then. as long as the ranking needed to enter doesnt get ridiculously high.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

I doubt it. It'd be balanced out quite evenly by the students exiting Sydney - See Monash etc.
Not really. Although there are prestigious universities in the other states, like as you said Monash and the ANU in Canberra, the MAJORITY of universities people aim for would be in Sydney or Melbourne. Like I'm sure a LOT more people want to go to the University of Sydney in comparison to lets say... the University of Western Australia or the University of Tasmania.

Venom.

HSC

i'm going to hold on to the hope that more people would go to another university in another state then. as long as the ranking needed to enter doesnt get ridiculously high.
I doubt it'll be that life changing, just concentrate on getting the marks I guess, fuck the rest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)