NSG 2020 questions I got wrong - could someone please walk me through them? (1 Viewer)

synthesisFR

しゃけ
HSC
Question 9:

Ethanol and methanoic acid will reflux to produce ethyl methanoate (an ester). You should first write out an equation for this

Determine the number of moles of both ethanol and methanoic acid. This can be done by using n = m/MM
n(ethanol) = 3.50g / 46.068 g/mol = 0.07597 mol
n(methanoic acid) = 5.75g / 60.052g/mol = 0.09575 mol
Ethanol is the limiting reagent meaning it gets used up completely.
Therefore, the n(ethyl methanoate) = 0.07597 mol since they are in a 1:1 stoichiometry ratio

Now you can calculate the mass of the product extracted
m(ethyl methanoate) = 0.07597 mol x 74.078 g/mol = 5.63g

However, the mass was found to be 24% of the expected result
So 5.63g x 0.24 = 1.35g
i hate u i wasted my time writing it down on paper
also a clean a4 sheet of paper i wasted and now i have one less of those

synthesisFR

しゃけ
HSC
Question 9:

The two organic compounds are CH3CH2COOH (propanoic acid) and HOOCH (methanoic acid). They both contain a carboxyl functional group which is organic due to the presence of carbon. As such, the answer cannot the HCl nor H2SO4. HCN is not organic acid because there is no -COOH group.
im a bit confused
- some sources say Hydrogen cyanide, also known as cyanide or HCN, belongs to the class of organic compounds known as nitriles.
- we know the HCN is a weak acid
- therefore weak organic acid?!!
But some sources say that its not because
- it needs a COOH group
which one is correct

nsw..wollongong

HSC
okay WAIT that mgSO4 thing solution is in an equilirbium system right so WHEN YOU ADD MORE SOLID THEN itll dissolve bc the forward and reverse rxns you know keep going and therefore altho its a sat solution the radioactive shit will end up in both the filtrate and the residue as per the ongoing eq rxn

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
okay WAIT that mgSO4 thing solution is in an equilirbium system right so WHEN YOU ADD MORE SOLID THEN itll dissolve bc the forward and reverse rxns you know keep going and therefore altho its a sat solution the radioactive shit will end up in both the filtrate and the residue as per the ongoing eq rxn
and for those who got the question wrong, please explain that again? 🤓

nsw..wollongong

HSC
im a bit confused
- some sources say Hydrogen cyanide, also known as cyanide or HCN, belongs to the class of organic compounds known as nitriles.
- we know the HCN is a weak acid
- therefore weak organic acid?!!
But some sources say that its not because
- it needs a COOH group
which one is correct
whattt i was taught that it was an organic comp

bigman19191

HSC
The equivalence point is around 8 pH which lines up to a volume added of 22mL.

22mL is the amount of sodium hydroxide added against acetic acid. As always, write out a balanced equation for this reaction.

Then, you can calculate the number of moles of NaOH which is 0.022L x 0.15 mol/L = 0.0033 mol

The moles of acetic acid will also be 0.0033 mols since they react in a 1:1 ratio.

Concentration of acetic acid will therefore be 0.033 mol divided by 0.025L = 0.13 mol/L

synthesisFR

しゃけ
HSC
pre sure u cant say that..
adding a solid has no effect on eqm right

so u just instead mention common ion effect ig

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
The equivalence point is around 8 pH which lines up to a volume added of 22mL.

22mL is the amount of sodium hydroxide added against acetic acid. As always, write out a balanced equation for this reaction.

Then, you can calculate the number of moles of NaOH which is 0.022L x 0.15 mol/L = 0.0033 mol

The moles of acetic acid will also be 0.0033 mols since they react in a 1:1 ratio.

Concentration of acetic acid will therefore be 0.033 mol divided by 0.025L = 0.13 mol/L
you are actually a lifesaver, no idea who you are, but thank you heaps

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
thanks guys

please stick around 😭 im so close to getting to the end of the paper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)