Notes, no notes and any other effective study methods (1 Viewer)

ragingcurry

HSC
I can't remember most of the things from my chemistry notes. Does anyone else have any other useful methods. Can I just read state rank notes and do as many past papers and questions, and still get a high band 6.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
I just understand the content more than memorise it then apply it :) If that helps

bangali

HSC
First, if you need to actually memorise something (rather than just understand it and pull it out of your head) try Anki, this awesome spaced repetition software that doesn't let you forget. Have to use it daily though.

Passively reading notes is essentially useless - it doesn't stick. It's like eating those big brightly coloured multivitamin tablets - if you don't chew them, they kinda come out the other end just as big and just as brightly coloured :p You haven't actually absorbed any of the nutrients because you haven't actively digested them.

I'd recommend using multiple sources and combining to make your own notes - often state rank notes have left out bits that they already knew so they miss bits, awesome as they are. Also, if you reorder and write in your own words, this makes you process the information.

The key thing though is to constantly TEST yourself - so yes, prac questions are great, but also after you've read a section of the text, you should test yourself on it - close the book and try to summarise in your own words what you read; ask a question about the content and then try to answer it without the notes. Active recall is far and away better than passively reading, where it goes in one eye and out the other.

As mentioned above, actually understanding what's going on and why takes away the need to rote-memorise long meaningless formulas, because you can figure it out on the spot and why without having to have memorised it.

Edit: lol, I'm just saying the same thing over and over again on BoS :p

Last edited:

helloimyellow

HSC
First, if you need to actually memorise something (rather than just understand it and pull it out of your head) try Anki, this awesome spaced repetition software that doesn't let you forget. Have to use it daily though.

Passively reading notes is essentially useless - it doesn't stick. It's like eating those big brightly coloured multivitamin tablets - if you don't chew them, they kinda come out the other end just as big and just as brightly coloured :p You haven't actually absorbed any of the nutrients because you haven't actively digested them.

I'd recommend using multiple sources and combining to make your own notes - often state rank notes have left out bits that they already knew so they miss bits, awesome as they are. Also, if you reorder and write in your own words, this makes you process the information.

The key thing though is to constantly TEST yourself - so yes, prac questions are great, but also after you've read a section of the text, you should test yourself on it - close the book and try to summarise in your own words what you read; ask a question about the content and then try to answer it without the notes. Active recall is far and away better than passively reading, where it goes in one eye and out the other.

As mentioned above, actually understanding what's going on and why takes away the need to rote-memorise long meaningless formulas, because you can figure it out on the spot and why without having to have memorised it.
bangali pretty much hit the nail on the head here, but I thought I might add that sometimes teaching it to others can be a good way to learn, and really test yourself to ensure that you know the information. You can try teaching it to your friends (although this might allow them to gain an edge over you), your family members; even a rubber duck can work as well.

Just my two cents :spin:

leehuan

HSC
Worst comes to worst do the past paper questions open book even.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)