not enough time to finish! >.< (1 Viewer)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
u dun really need alot of lessons on it i dun think... all u gotta learn it the 3 types of radiation, sea of stability, the p to n ratio that makes a nuclei stable, an eg in med/industry use etc etc...

uhm, perhaps u need more than 2 lessons... =p blehz

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by xiao1985
.. all u gotta learn it the 3 types of radiation, sea of stability, the p to n ratio that makes a nuclei stable,
Hmm so do you need to know the difference between beta - and beta + radiation?

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
we did an experiment for nuclear chemistry. we got a geiger meter and measured the aveage amount of radiation detected at certain distances for the following isotopes:

Strontium-90 (beta emitter)
Polonium-210 (alpha emitter)
Cobalt-60 (gamma emitter)

however they were in extemely tiny quantities and were only handled by our chem teacher

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Xayma
No, you don't.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yep beta - occurs when there is too many neutrons, a neutron decays into an electron + a proton + an anti-neutrino.

Beta + radition occurs when there is too many protons.
A proton decays into a positron+neutron+a neutrino.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
well, if u do physics, u might as well know it... u gotta learn soemthing on pet i fink... it ain't that hard to remember any way... infact, rememberin b + and b- together is much more efficient way to remember the nuclear decay i fink...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well dont you have to go through all ways they become radioactive in chem anyway (ie too many neutrons and too many protons) its a bit stupid how you only learn about one beta radiation since it only occurs when there are too many neutrons.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Well dont you have to go through all ways they become radioactive in chem anyway (ie too many neutrons and too many protons) its a bit stupid how you only learn about one beta radiation since it only occurs when there are too many neutrons.
yea.... i cannot agree more to that... =p blehz

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
You make a good point but I would point out that positron decay is comparatively rare (esp. in naturally occuring radioisotopes), and the last thing the chem syllabus needs is more content!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)