not enough time to finish! >.< (1 Viewer)

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
Our school is soooo slow in our chemistry classes. We haven't even done the last section of this module (nuclear chemistry) and the teacher skipped it to start on the acidic environment at the beginning of this term. What to do? What to do??
Are there any experiments that need to be done??
I doubt we'd have any time to come back to this after we finish learning the rest of the syllabus

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Lol I dont think they would let High School students play with radioactive isotopes purely from a legal perspective (ie if you get cancer in 10000000 years you might sue them).

Just look through your textbook and possibly the net for info.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Try not to rely on teachers as your primary source of learning. Use them to get an understanding of the topic then learn it yourself and ask the teacher any questions.

This is because 80% of all teachers are usually unreliable :p

abdooooo!!!

Banned
and teachers are asking for more money the idiots... they work less hours they everyone else and get paid above average wage for it, with whatever crappy skill they may have of controlling hardcore year 7 kids. :p

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Lol I dont think they would let High School students play with radioactive isotopes
i don't see why not

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh
they might accidently place them in their pockets for later use :rolleyes:
well, not all radioactive isotopes are extremely harmful... am 241, for eg, u c them every day...

we actually did a prac (well, sorta) on cloud chambers... we used am 241 and some beta emitters... pretty cool!!! u gotta c it...

if u r doin the experiemnt, try to press into the cold ice ;-), it stings...

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
well, not all radioactive isotopes are extremely harmful... am 241, for eg, u c them every day...
you see them everyday xiao, but you dont put them into your pocket every day do you ? why dont you give it a go and tell me in 10 or more years time what you have noticed :):rolleyes:

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
dont worry...my teacher skipped more than that...nuclear chem cud be done by urself...my teacher skipped nearly the whole option :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
why dont you give it a go and tell me in 10 or more years time what you have noticed :):rolleyes:
Pocket???, I eat them.

Nah I think it is just a legal thing, if you get cancer 30 yrs down the track from some completly opposite thing they could still probably be sued unless they can prove beyond resonable doubt that the radiocactive substances did no harm.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by mushroom_head
Our school is soooo slow in our chemistry classes. We haven't even done the last section of this module (nuclear chemistry) and the teacher skipped it to start on the acidic environment at the beginning of this term. What to do? What to do??
Are there any experiments that need to be done??
I doubt we'd have any time to come back to this after we finish learning the rest of the syllabus
it's better if u don't depend on ur teachers co'z they don't really care!!:( start doing the modules on ur own , if u find it hard , get tutored but don't rely on his/her pace.
u need 2 know all ur experiments given in the syllabus for ur HSC. well , it ain't compulsory 2 practicallly do them all as long as u know them n r able 2 write them!! i hope u get wat i mean....:p
as for me , we hardly did ne pracs in class n the ones we did were useless.....:p

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Mushroom_head: i reckon u shud go at your own pace...for me it was like i was nearly done with the second module when my teacher started it in class. He didn't teach us how to do Extended responses nor he went thru em...i mean he never explained em. He only used to explain just a bit of the concept...which was not that of use since the syllabus has heaps of extended responses n stuff...

so I'd recommend...that get your hands on books like Conq Chem, Pathways, Chem in Context, Surfing books and any other study guides. Make notes out of the three text books(conq chem, Pathways, Chem in context) and then take the syllabus...write each dot point down as a QUESTION...and answer it looking at your notes...this way by the time Trials/HSC comes around..u'd have your notes ready..and u'd just need to these Answers to the dot points...and also...use study guides to add more info to your answers to make em to the point. Extensive Knowledge is also another thing, which u may gain from the Study Guides.

If u find class time as a "waste of time" then take your notes that u make at home or your Dot points + Answers to class....and read thru em in class....like i did.

Also...read through your notes every couple of days..so by the time u have trials and HSC u'd really have them in your mind....well thats my experience.

And yeah...Get a tutor.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
is that why you can put your leg behind your head? :rolleyes: :p
Yeah but someday I plan on being able to get the other 4 behind my head.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
you see them everyday xiao, but you dont put them into your pocket every day do you ? why dont you give it a go and tell me in 10 or more years time what you have noticed :):rolleyes:
in 10 years, xiao will still be on BOS, and we all know why now

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
yeah there are heaps of experiments including splitting the atom, creating atomic bombs, fission and fussion! i really dont know how ur gonna get thru it! :p

its nuclear chemistry!! there are no experiments! just theory .... my advice go thru ur text book and teach urself. good luck xoxo

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
well yea, continous exposure to substantial amount of radio isotopes is obviously detrimental... but experiments can be done as long as the teacher make sure no radio isotopes are missin after the exp, and under close supervision...

well any hoo, we conducted cloud chamber, also geiger counter, believe it or not in our lab... uhm, infact, we observed it closely, we didnt' conduct it...

but still... =p blehz

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
in 10 years, xiao will still be on BOS, and we all know why now
y of course!!! the radiation from am 241 make me young as a 18 forever!!! muahahahahahahha....

sweet immortality...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mazza_728
yeah there are heaps of experiments including splitting the atom, creating atomic bombs, fission and fussion! i really dont know how ur gonna get thru it! :p
The problem with the atomic bombs is it costs $30 million US to get one from the Russian Mafia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)