• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

No Maths, Science or History (1 Viewer)

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Riviet said:
So which is better, ancient or modern? And why? :)
I liked Modern better. Ancient was easier, but Modern was more interesting.

The worst thing about Modern was having to remember so many dates.

Both history courses involve a LOT of content.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
As I only do Modern History I have bias but I think the course is interesting and covers a lot of concepts, ideas, topics and well history. The workload isn’t as much as a problem nothing more then you except from any other HSC subject although this can vary from school to school.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
*sticks her head in to vouch for modern history too* :D

content is not so bad if you keep up

back to the original topic though, i thought it was odd that someone doesnt do sciences, maths or history at all. Not taking it is one thing but having no interest in all 3 is odd.

I havent read the thread properly so not sure if original poster seens interest or usefulness of any of the areas of study

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
No maths, no science, no social science! If you took any these three subject areas, youd get almost nothing.
That'd sound weird- it came up with subjects that dont fit under any of those three- TAS subjects like ipt, languages and arts like drama, as well as pdhpe which i think is the 4th most popular subject. Of course, there's english.

Personally, i reckon that modern history would be more interesting than ancient. I have no idea of what history ext is about- i think there's a major project there.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hist ext is just all about historiography. Rather than "storybook style" learning (i.e narrative history), it's about the ways we view history, what it is, what it means, how to intepret it...

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
pdhpe is counted as a social science??
its probably more like science. I dont know.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
History isn't all about the workload, its mostly commitment. If you are commited, the workload is nothing. Like I was committed to history, and a standard history essay for me would be about 15 pages min. hand written. But I hated legal, and my usual legal essay would be about 2 pages with BIG WRITING, HUGE SPACING and repetition.
I never found ancient to have a huge workload.. I enjoyed studying it for the HSC, Infact I looked forward to the exam and found myself really comfortable in there!
i reckon the amount of reading and work needed for history extension in particular the majorwork is a shitload of work though ! the subject is heaps fun though

Boxxxhead said:
Modern History smells.

The concept of History was killed fo so many people in my grade. Of 30 people at the start of the prelims, 15 people dropped it (including the guy ranked 2nd behind me) and a fair few people would drop it now if they could, eg. me.

On the other hand, I like History Extension, I must admit that.
haha thats just like my SDD class. highest was 40% and practically the whole class dropped out. modern was quite similar but not as much. the teacher persuaded much of the students in my class to leave.

generally i like history but i hate studying for it as there is so much content, dates, informations to remember.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
At the end of year 11, about half of those who did ext english, dropped out. Dont know why.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
i reckon the amount of reading and work needed for history extension in particular the majorwork is a shitload of work though ! the subject is heaps fun though

haha thats just like my SDD class. highest was 40% and practically the whole class dropped out. modern was quite similar but not as much. the teacher persuaded much of the students in my class to leave.

generally i like history but i hate studying for it as there is so much content, dates, informations to remember.
Its not that we had bad marks, in fact my grade's modern cohort is one of the smartest in our schools history I've been told, just that we all hate it lol.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Boxxxhead said:
Its not that we had bad marks, in fact my grade's modern cohort is one of the smartest in our schools history I've been told, just that we all hate it lol.
lol fair enough.

HSC
heys ..

well me im no typical asian ..

yeah i dont do any science and history..

i would love to do science if i had the knowledge..

likewise i do pratcially all the humanity cousres

tc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)