NO MATH -(Yr 11-12) so ECONOMICS instead? (1 Viewer)

PIFKIE

HSC
This is my 1st post. Currently I am in Yr 10 and just uploaded my Yr 11 Prelim Units and have dropped Math entirely.

My questions are:

1. Can I still do Economics successfully without having any Math?
2. Also, Is it possible to gain a good ATAR/UAI without having ANY Math?
3. Is Multimedia IT a good worthwhile course?

I am looking at a combined degree in Humanities/Law or Journalism; Government- so have chosen the following for Yr 11:

English Advanced
English Prelim Extension
Japanese Continuers
Drama
Ancient History
Legal Studies
Economics
Multimedia Industrial Tech.

Hoping that current year 11 's will be able to advise me.

:)):wave:

----------------------------------------------------------
2011 HSC
Year 11 Subjects:

English Advanced
English Prelim Extension
Japanese Continuers
Drama
Ancient History
Legal Studies
Economics
Multimedia Industrial Tech.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
yes economics can be done without maths, the maths is fairly simple. How good are you with finance related things, if your a complete n00b dont dod econoics.

It is possible to get a good scoure without maths

Multimedia not sure but i would watch for scaling, espically considering your aims.

HSC
I don't do maths and i'm doing quite well in economics. If you know how to do a fraction and read a graph, then you will be fine.

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC

What do you classify as good? Over 95? Chances are low, but possible.

How can you drop maths! It's the most beautifulest thing ever !

clue444

HSC
PIFKIE the subjects you're choosing are a great selection and potentially able to give you a high ATAR if you're willing to work hard.

icola

HSC

What do you classify as good? Over 95? Chances are low, but possible.

How can you drop maths! It's the most beautifulest thing ever !

Actually, a lot of people do well (+95) without having maths.
What a shame for you that english isn't also the "most beautifulest" thing ever. How unfortunate for you that it's compulsory.. probably makes *your* chances over getting over 95 lower than someone who doesn't do maths.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Some guy in my school got high 98 UAI with no Maths/Science. It's doable. But combined Law, you'll probably need the scaling for it, since you'll need a 99.6 or thereabouts.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
My questions are:

1. Can I still do Economics successfully without having any Math?
3. Is Multimedia IT a good worthwhile course?
1. Yes. The maths in it is practically a no-brainer, equivalent to something like basic year 9-10 maths. If you can sub in stuff and read graphs, youre fine

2. Yes. Any combination of subjects can lead to a high ATAR. If you do well your subjects, you should have no issues. Though the high scaling of maths is very helpful.

3. If you enjoy the area of work, why not? Have some fun!

Some guy in my school got high 98 UAI with no Maths/Science. It's doable. But combined Law, you'll probably need the scaling for it, since you'll need a 99.6 or thereabouts.
Not necessarily. Law at UWS requires 90 ATAR :headbang:

TheStallion

HSC
What a shame for you that english isn't also the "most beautifulest" thing ever. How unfortunate for you that it's compulsory.. probably makes *your* chances over getting over 95 lower than someone who doesn't do maths.
He never said he thought English was shit, faggot. Aren't people allowed to enjoy one subject more than others without having to be shit at it?

vennmuch

HSC
My current teacher did the HSC a few years back (she's a fresh grad) did all the subjects that Asians stereotype as "shiet" or "dumb" subjects and got 98 or abouts.

She did no maths, no sciences though she did do 4u Eng though. She did social studies, SOR, modern, ext hist.

Its def possible. And maths in economics is knowing how to use a calculator and write numbers.

PIFKIE

HSC
Thanks so much guys...you have all been really helpful , and considerate to a newbie!

I have decided to switch Economics with Society and Culture instead. This will give me quite a good spread of Humanities subjects and I guess plenty of practice at writing essays and research as I will want to do a Humanities degree. Even if I don't get Law, it will still be Humanities, like English Literature etc.

Thank you all again.:wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)