New Latin Thread - Cramming tips? (3 Viewers)

zhongie

HSC
Yeah, yeah...stars, schmars.

LAW all the way...I get queasy at the thought of blood...

Plus, I've really honed my BS skills.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
oh yeah BS skills... an example from me back in '03:
the art of waffling includes the knowledge of highly insightful and highly specific keypoints of the subject matter, whereupon a small demonstration would constitute to everyone's admiration for your supposed learnedness. long quotes from masters of waffle are often the best for this.

overanalyse always - if they require you to understand the application of one reading to a text, learn fourteen, but again, learn only specific keypoints. for example, if they ask you about feminist reading, relate it to the rise of the female race during the 20th century, the burning of bras during the 60s and the acquisition of suffrage. show that the main protagonist in text relates to, or was influenced by a popular feminist, preferably, Virginia Woolf.

further, the art of waffling involves the use of highly-constructed language structures, such as the 'clause-upon-clause' technique. if something can be said using a simple sentence - DON'T - the english language is technical enough to paraphrase it into two past participles, five ablative-absolutes, two conditional clauses, one result clause, adjective subject adverb verb adjective object.

be PEDANTIC always!!!!

read waffle texts - examples of which include anything to do with rocket science, chemistry and physics textbooks (Macmillan Pathways is a good example), any higher-level Maths. examples of waffle in the english syllabus include any of the speeches, cloudstreet and anything with more than 500 pages.

...a waffling post about waffle...

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
haha, Frigid, you never fail to amuse bud! :)

Is it just me, or does zhongie seem a lot like Wei?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Cyph said:
Is it just me, or does zhongie seem a lot like Wei?
you mean they're both of that attractive yet dwindling breed of girls who have an acquired taste for the latin language? ;)

*smooth-talking*

zhongie

HSC
Me...like Wei? I can only wish. No, I'm just a mere mortal, and not a musical prodigy. It must be that biting wit of MLC...and the horrible, emotionally scarring experience that is Mr. Marshall.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
hey weisy! I'm well atm, i'm finishing off a 2500 word essay as we speak!

I will do my best to pass on my wisdom to the 04ers, whatever is left of it anyway :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
haha i dun think any of us 03ers remember any of our latin... *sighe*

it was fun tho :)

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
yeah it was. my teacher was great, always feeding us lollies

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
haha i dun think any of us 03ers remember any of our latin... *sighe*

it was fun tho :)
think of the 02ers =p those who are still around...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
think of the 02ers =p those who are still around...
haha dude, i really ought to organise LCM properly... okay i'm gonna try to PM you guys...

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
zhongie said:
Me...like Wei? I can only wish. No, I'm just a mere mortal, and not a musical prodigy. It must be that biting wit of MLC...and the horrible, emotionally scarring experience that is Mr. Marshall.
hahaha, scarring he is. He's also slack - if you see him, tell him I am still waiting on a reply to meet up sometime...*grrr*

congratulations on runner-up! go yvonne! :)

zhongie

HSC
I will tell him. He met Elly and Jennifer in Melbourne, though. Jennifer has a beau, according to Mr. Marshall. Don't try to contact him now, though. I think he's in France.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
omg 5 NEW pages in the latin forum...and i had no idea?!?!?!
i gotta check this place out more often now :p
heya everyone..its nice to see some actual latin talk, but we still haven't gotten rid of all the spam yet...HMMMM...perhaps another culling? flyin, wot say u ;) hehehe

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
there's only 1 thread to cull, and after that, you might have to wait half-a-year before anythign else happens. plus, people have to scroll down heaps to get to latin these days =p

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
zhongie said:
I will tell him. He met Elly and Jennifer in Melbourne, though. Jennifer has a beau, according to Mr. Marshall. Don't try to contact him now, though. I think he's in France.
Thanks for that. What's he doing in France when he could be having coffee with me?? ;)

Hey, pigs and birdie. *looks at rest of thread* There's nothing to cull! The messages are (mostly) more than 4 words long!

mic - I know how you feel. I have four assessments this week, two of them tests on everything we've done this semester, and one major ethics essay due. Such is life. :/

zhongie

HSC
Something about chariot racing...as usual.

Aww, Wei. Don't feel rejected...he's a strange man, who loves Jennifer Lopez. Where's the logic in that?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
LCM REMINDER!!!

Side note: Meaning for C include - Crew (as it originally was), Community (as Frig called), or C...? (We'll tell you when we turn up. Although this one is obvious!)

zhongie

HSC
Everyone should go to the LCM!

We'll show them Latin is not an Asian-dominated, nerdy subject...! Yeah, that.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
zhongie said:
Everyone should go to the LCM!

We'll show them Latin is not an Asian-dominated, nerdy subject...! Yeah, that.
I think that excepting Bon, we're all Asian here.

:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)