• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New Ipods: which one should i get? (2 Viewers)

04er

HSC
WOO new ipods released today!!

My old one (from 2005) is pretty dead so a new one would be nice. I am considering the 8gb ipod touch but not too sure if this will be sufficient hdd.

What sort of conversion ratios can I expect when converting from say a 350mb .avi file to watch on the ipod?

If I want to store around a 1000 songs and leave the rest for maybe a game or two, and maybe 5 episodes of a tv show, is 8gb enough?

Anyone had problems with ipod touch and recommend a different one? (not willing to spend more than $350).

Just in case anyone came in here expecting to see the new ipods, here they are :D

Last edited:

wendus

krawr.
HSC
wow they look awesome
but srsly they're gonna die on you in a year. i have an ANCIENT ipod nano, pre coloured days, so it's just white. not that that was relevant... hahaha

04er

HSC
Also has anyone (who owns an ipod touch/phone) experienced such diminished battery life to the point that they can't watch a 40 min video without recharging? coz that would suck..

seakebab

HSC
I have an ancient iPod nano too. In my opinion no iPod is worth it except for the original 30GB, 60GB, 80GB or 120GB. nanos cannot hold enough music + extra stuff.

So if you really do want an iPod, get the original.

Don't talk to me about the touchs. They just look nice.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
omg yeah my 2GB one fits NOTHING
it is so annoying.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Definitely stick with the plain vanilla iPod. I hear the touch is very annoying (and gets a bit expensive if you want any decent storage) and the nano's just don't hold enough.

bawd

HSC
seakebab said:
I have an ancient iPod nano too. In my opinion no iPod is worth it except for the original 30GB, 60GB, 80GB or 120GB. nanos cannot hold enough music + extra stuff.

So if you really do want an iPod, get the original.

Don't talk to me about the touchs. They just look nice.
Not to mention dramatically over-priced. Even the iPhone is cheaper. And on an irrelevant note: iRiver > Apple for music players IMO. :) Although I do want an iPod classic for the sake of owning an iPod.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
04er said:
Also has anyone (who owns an ipod touch/phone) experienced such diminished battery life to the point that they can't watch a 40 min video without recharging? coz that would suck..
I have an iphone and I don't think it's video that drains it the most, I think it's the games and internet. I got about 4 hours of video in flight mode on about 80% brightness.

sXcGuRl69aU

I'M BREAKING LOLZ
HSC
i HEAPS wanted the yellow nano until i saw one irl, they aren't a solid yellow really, much more of a metallic gold sort of colour. :(
but yeah they seem pretty awesome and have a couple of decent new features.
one thing i never liked about existing ipods is if you were listening to a song thru shufle or on a playlist and realise you wanted to listen to more songs from that artist, you had to go through about 10000000000 menus, now it's heaps easier. it gives you a "browse artist" option or something when a song is playing?

edit: bottom left, yukkk

Last edited:
It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
sXcGuRl69aU said:
i HEAPS wanted the yellow nano until i saw one irl, they aren't a solid yellow really, much more of a metallic gold sort of colour. :(
but yeah they seem pretty awesome and have a couple of decent new features.
one thing i never liked about existing ipods is if you were listening to a song thru shufle or on a playlist and realise you wanted to listen to more songs from that artist, you had to go through about 10000000000 menus, now it's heaps easier. it gives you a "browse artist" option or something when a song is playing?

edit: bottom left, yukkk

oh wow. The yellow sorta looks like a dirty-yellow colour. Shame really because the pictures make it look so good.

In regards to battery life of the ipod touch, i've watched the extended version of one of the lotr movies on my ipod and still had battery life left over. So battery life is great. If anything, wifi is the battery killer

sXcGuRl69aU

I'M BREAKING LOLZ
HSC
oh and btw movies look really good on the ipod touch (well, the iphone, but i'm guessing they have the same screen), i ripped a dvd movie in reeeeeeeeeally high quality to the ipod, i think it was like 1gb but it loked awesome.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
sXcGuRl69aU said:
oh and btw movies look really good on the ipod touch (well, the iphone, but i'm guessing they have the same screen), i ripped a dvd movie in reeeeeeeeeally high quality to the ipod, i think it was like 1gb but it loked awesome.
Considering the size of the screen it could probably be a fair bit less than 1gb and would still look good on an iphone of ipod touch.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Apple: Now running out of ideas..look curves!

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
The iPod touch isn't just an iPod, it's an incredibly powerful mobile computing platform.

jet

Banned
HSC
I really like my touch. It holds enough songs for me right now and the battery life is good. Though, i dont like the fact that the screen gets greasy/ But the games are great and you can see it keeps getting better and better. I like the genius feature; it reminds me of songs i forgot i had.
Though, if youre not looking for games then i would prob get a nano if you wanted similar features or a classic for more space as some of the updates for the touch cost money and the app store is addictive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)