New Apple announcements (1 Viewer)

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
what the hell?

halving the capacity of the iPod mini but still charging the same amount of money. only Apple could pull bullshit like this and people would still eat it up.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
jas0nt said:
what the hell?

halving the capacity of the iPod mini but still charging the same amount of money. only Apple could pull bullshit like this and people would still eat it up.
because it's slim as anything (and has a colour screen). to an extent you always pay for design. i wasn't happy with the size of the ipod or mini

theone123

blue essence
HSC
damn apple dominates 53% of the digital music player market whilst the 2nd and 3rd players in the market like sony only have 9% of the market each.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
my 20G iPdod has a crappy 4 hr playback time. :(
Either you listen to your ipod at eardrum shattering volumes and change tracks every 30secs, or your battery is on its deathbed. My ipod mini G2 easily gets me through uni train trips for several days. wish I had this ipod nano though...it looks cooler

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
theone123 said:
damn apple dominates 53% of the digital music player market whilst the 2nd and 3rd players in the market like sony only have 9% of the market each.
don't pull numbers out of your arse, at least provide sources if you are going to

theone123

blue essence
HSC
redslert said:
don't pull numbers out of your arse, at least provide sources if you are going to
cnet.com.com said:
iPod sales have propelled Apple into a leading market position, with a 53 percent share of all digital-music players, according to a report released Tuesday by Solutions Research Group. Sony and RCA tied for a distant second with 9 percent share each.

does that answer your question

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iambored said:
because it's slim as anything (and has a colour screen). to an extent you always pay for design. i wasn't happy with the size of the ipod or mini
Really, i think the mini is perfect size, light and small enough so i dont crush or snap it. And the colour screen is basically useless i think, if it were monochrome, the battery life could've been extended quite a bit i assume, at least make a flash based mp3 player worth getting over a more capacitious hard drive based one. Wasnt the argument that hard drive based players had more space but lower battery life? Yet this has less space AND less battery life, with features i really dont need/care about. I mean its their to play music, it spends 99.9% of its time docking/in the pocket out of sight.

Piss poor i say.

santaslayer

HSC
supercharged said:
Either you listen to your ipod at eardrum shattering volumes and change tracks every 30secs, or your battery is on its deathbed. My ipod mini G2 easily gets me through uni train trips for several days. wish I had this ipod nano though...it looks cooler
People can hear it from the outside. :p

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
AsyLum said:
Really, i think the mini is perfect size, light and small enough so i dont crush or snap it. And the colour screen is basically useless i think, if it were monochrome, the battery life could've been extended quite a bit i assume, at least make a flash based mp3 player worth getting over a more capacitious hard drive based one. Wasnt the argument that hard drive based players had more space but lower battery life? Yet this has less space AND less battery life, with features i really dont need/care about. I mean its their to play music, it spends 99.9% of its time docking/in the pocket out of sight.

Piss poor i say.
"their" --> "there" :p

But flash also is better for exercise.

Did you watch the special event broadcast? It is designed to hang off your neck or strapped on your arm like the shuffle. So it will be more visible. The mini is much too heavy for this. ~100g vs ~40g.

I think it is a good move, although more space would be nice.

Skeeta

HSC
does this new gadget mean that they will be selling ipod mini's dirt cheap?

Skeeta

HSC
yeah i saw on the us apple website yesterday, that they were giving away ipod minis with every purchase of an ibook. I almost cried, coz i've always wanted an ipod mini..and i bought an ibook last week

i still really want one, and hopefully this is my opportunity to get one at a price i can afford!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
I am disappointed about the loss in song space but I still say that the size owns everything else out there. the mini was cute but too big for me to carry in my pocket - or my wallet :p

mini 4gb $299, nano 4gb $359, I am happy to pay $60 for the decrease in size. (although a longer battery life would have been nice).

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Dont forget student discounts, nano ends up being quite attractive for its price.

ReaveR

HSC
The picture doesn't really represent my views :p

I think the black one looks good, thats about it..colour screen useless, storage is a bit too small...might buy it for my sister or something.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
Apple is about design more than making sense ;)
Yeah i know that, i think the whole switching chips thing really ended any possibility of me wanting a new Apple product anytime soon :(

iambored said:
I am disappointed about the loss in song space but I still say that the size owns everything else out there. the mini was cute but too big for me to carry in my pocket - or my wallet :p

mini 4gb $299, nano 4gb $359, I am happy to pay $60 for the decrease in size. (although a longer battery life would have been nice).
Why would you want to stick that nano in your wallet? :p It'd snap! Haha, and you must wear skin tight leather pants at uni ;) Or skirts..which would make more sense.. but yeah i find it fits into my pockets nicely :D

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
theone123 said:
does that answer your question
so? telstra bigpond dominates the australian broadband market, does that mean it's good? no, it's piss poor and is comparable to broadband in third-world countries.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
playboy2njoy said:
Its wierd, it uses flash, but it has less battery life? My guess is that they've put a smaller battery than the normal ipods... considering that the photo ipods used to always have more battery life than the cgrayscale ones.
*cough colour screen cough*

Normal ipods don't really factor into this, the battery life should be improved even if it was the normal 1G mini/4G ipod batteries. 8 hours with a hard drive based player is sufficient for normal use.

Flash players' main asset is their extended battery life, and when you take that away and factor in their biggest flaw, that being size (atm, sandisk are developing bigger and bigger sticks nowdays) and further fuck things up by sticking a colour screen in, i fail to really see any justifiable reason to a) buy it b) charge the same price for something which is inevitably a superior product.

Any new features firmware wise? None that i have heard of, apple can't even fix the gapless playback, or decent replaygain reading.

</rant>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)