never get above 92? (1 Viewer)

tudor182

HSC
Hi, I'm thinking about keeping Food Tech as my HSC subject but this question just came up. I went on to SAM to see exactly just how badly it is scaled and am kind of surprised. Basically if you get 90 in your exam you get scaled down to 79.2, 95 to 88.2 and 100 to 92.2. Does that mean that even if I get 100 in my exam I get only 92.2? Is that the mark you get even if you are the top of the state?

P

pLuvia

umm, no. SAM is just an estimate, I'm sure if you get 100 for Food Tech it will not drop

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
tudor182, thats the aligned mark from the Board of Studies, 100 (the mark sent to you by the BoS isn't actually the raw mark you got in the exam, the raw mark is usually about 6 lower, as an example).
The person who got that scaled mark did top the state, but wouldn't have gotten 100 in the exam itself.

Don't drop it because it scales badly, my sister found out about its scaling and complained about it all the time, then it turned out she got 6th in the state for it, so it was easily her best subject in the end, despite its scaling.

Oh, by the wayside, a 92.2 scaled isn't really an "only". If you got that scaled mark for all your subjects, you'd be looking at a 99.9 UAI.

So yah, just keep it if you like it, try not to stress about it and do your best :)

tennille

HSC
I did food tech. I was getting 97 as my raw assessment mark but got 88 in the HSC exam (I had a feeling that would happen- I felt that my teacher was being too easy on me). I'd stick with it, despite its scaling. And I know someone who got 94 in it last year.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hey, don't worry about the scaling, as long as you like the subject and are getting good marks for it (which you are), I encourage you to keep it. :uhhuh:

tudor182

HSC
Say if a subject is scaled badly but you've got a good rank, do you still get a high mark? I'm confused. By the way what is the difference between the aligned mark and the HSC contribution in SAM?

Is the aligned mark referring to your external exam or external PLUS internal?

tudor182

HSC
Just some more information, right now I don't know whether to drop Chemistry or Food Tech since I have 13 units. Chemistry...I hate it because it is boring to me and I find food tech more enjoyable and I get better marks at it. But the thing is, chemistry is obviously scaled up and food tech is scaled way down. I do want a good UAI just like every other person who's going to sit for the HSC in 2006. So I'm thinking, would it be better to suffer the pain of learning chemistry and get a good mark, or would it be better to do food tech that doesn't give me such a good mark.

This is why I'm asking for advice as to how much food tech is scaled down and whether it would have a major negative impact on my UAI.

And how important is your rank in the subject?

rama_v

HSC
tudor182 said:
Just some more information, right now I don't know whether to drop Chemistry or Food Tech since I have 13 units. Chemistry...I hate it because it is boring to me and I find food tech more enjoyable and I get better marks at it. But the thing is, chemistry is obviously scaled up and food tech is scaled way down. I do want a good UAI just like every other person who's going to sit for the HSC in 2006. So I'm thinking, would it be better to suffer the pain of learning chemistry and get a good mark, or would it be better to do food tech that doesn't give me such a good mark.

This is why I'm asking for advice as to how much food tech is scaled down and whether it would have a major negative impact on my UAI.

I suppose it matters how well you are doing in chemistry, and how much effort you are willing to put in in order to get a good mark in chemistry. Obviously if you hate the subject, then it will be difficult to find motivation in chem, and in that case you may be better off doing Food tech. On the other hand if you know you can seriously work hard in Chem, then you may be better off sticking with it. I'm sorry I couldn't provide you with an easy answer :(

Ranks are extremely important. Marks are not - only the distribution of marks is important.

tennille

HSC
tudor182 said:
Say if a subject is scaled badly but you've got a good rank, do you still get a high mark?
Not necessarily. Say you are coming first in a subject and averaging about 75. You do the HSC and the HSC exam mark you receive is your own HSC exam mark (say you got 79), but your assessment mark will be the highest HSC exam mark achieved in your school for that subject (which is 80), because you are ranked first. This won't necessarily be a high result. So overall, your final raw HSC results will be:

Assessment mark: 80
HSC exam mark: 79

HSC mark: 80 (it's really 79.5, but they round it up)

But then your marks have to get scaled, and depending on how well you do, it might really affect you.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
tudor182 said:

Did you consider what i said before? Because if you do something that you hate, you're gonna find it very hard to memorise stuff in the subject that you detest, especially in chem where you have alot of info to remember. Food tech however, is a simple nice subject that you can enjoy and do well in, regardless of it's scaling attributes. My advice to you is take food tech, and do really well in it. It's up to you to decide, good luck with everything, work hard! n_n

tudor182

HSC
Thanks guys for your advice. After much consideration, turmoil and confusion the picture is becoming clear. I'm going to keep food tech!

Riviet your post pretty much sums up everything. Doing the subject I detest will not lead me any where since it would mean I have to kill myself everytime I open up the book. I kind of regret choosing this subject in the first place. Anyway, I'm going to enjoy my last year of high school doing the subject I like even if I might get a bad mark in it.

CARPE DIEM!!

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
An 87 in chemistry equates to about a 94 in food tech, scaled. If you get better marks in Food Tech, and you hate chemistry, its probably more likely you'll get the mark in food tech than chem anyway.

Kudos for choosing to enjoy your final year and ending with a Dead Poets Society quote :)!

caitlin_rulz

HSC
Hey,
I had exactly the same problem as you!i was doing well in food tech, and ok in chem but i didnt really like it....but i had to drop one cos i had 13 units.
After speaking to various people i decided i would keep chem..because i knew if i worked in it i could do alright.
Im finding it a lot better this year which is good...but good luck in food tech!
i cant believe we had the same problem lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)