Netbooks for uni (1 Viewer)

rx34

HSC
Hi, I'll be doing law this year and I am interested to get a netbook for typing notes in uni. I just bought a Sony Vaio but because it's a bit heavy, I'm too lazy to bring it. Below are my 'ideal' requirements for it:

- <$350 (broke after buying laptop)
- Only Windows OS, no linux
- Microsoft word processing
- <1.3kg
- Moderately long battery life (>3 cells)
- Open to ANY legit brands

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Any netbook running Windows is going to fail....hard.

If you can't be fucked learning something that isn't just "Dur point and click" get a HP netbook with MIE on it. And OpenOffice is a free alternative to Microsoft Office.

MailMofo

HSC
Any netbook running Windows is going to fail....hard.

If you can't be fucked learning something that isn't just "Dur point and click" get a HP netbook with MIE on it. And OpenOffice is a free alternative to Microsoft Office.
You my friend are wrong.

I spend most of my time fixing bugs / developing the current branch of Slackware Linux. I bought a netbook today for University and chose to keep WindowsXP on it purely for the fact that i wont be distracted in lectures, and it runs smooth as butter.

MailMofo

HSC
Hi, I'll be doing law this year and I am interested to get a netbook for typing notes in uni. I just bought a Sony Vaio but because it's a bit heavy, I'm too lazy to bring it. Below are my 'ideal' requirements for it:

- <$350 (broke after buying laptop)
- Only Windows OS, no linux
- Microsoft word processing
- <1.3kg
- Moderately long battery life (>3 cells)
- Open to ANY legit brands

I bought an Asus Eee PC 1001HA from the good guys today for $370.
I paid cash so they refused to slash the prices, but i imagine if you did pay cash you would get it for around the $350 mark.

It comes with WinXP, 2 gig of RAM, 160G HDD and a 6 cell battery ( Lasts 8 hours ), definitely worth checking out.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Look at the price he wants though. On the high end netbooks how many processors are you able to run without it lagging?

Seriously most of them won't run XP well. It will lag like shit, when you're constipated and haven't had any laxatives yet. And then this person sounds like a fail user so lots of crapware and shit will run in the background thus causing more lag. That's why I suggested MIE, it's just "Hurr durr I like clicking everywhere."

MailMofo

HSC
Look at the price he wants though. On the high end netbooks how many processors are you able to run without it lagging?

Seriously most of them won't run XP well. It will lag like shit, when you're constipated and haven't had any laxatives yet. And then this person sounds like a fail user so lots of crapware and shit will run in the background thus causing more lag. That's why I suggested MIE, it's just "Hurr durr I like clicking everywhere."

Everybody knows netbooks for university are there to be used as type-writers, not used for processor hungry applications.

rx34

HSC
I bought an Asus Eee PC 1001HA from the good guys today for $370.
I paid cash so they refused to slash the prices, but i imagine if you did pay cash you would get it for around the $350 mark.

It comes with WinXP, 2 gig of RAM, 160G HDD and a 6 cell battery ( Lasts 8 hours ), definitely worth checking out.
Wow mate, that's awesome for $370. And yes, the only program I will be using is Microsoft Word. I just want to type my lectures on it and not be distracted by any features of the netbook. My vaio would be my main laptop where I put my movies on it.

I was thinking of an MSI wind, but that's clearly out of my budget.

MailMofo

HSC
Wow mate, that's awesome for $370. And yes, the only program I will be using is Microsoft Word. I just want to type my lectures on it and not be distracted by any features of the netbook. My vaio would be my main laptop where I put my movies on it.

I was thinking of an MSI wind, but that's clearly out of my budget.
You have to remember your only typing on it. I was in your position where i was looking for something a little more high end, then thought why would i pay out the ass for a netbook that's only being used to type notes on?

aussie-boy

HSC
I have an MSI wind U100+, which cost $520 in July
The battery lasts 6hrs and windows runs fast without crashing
It does everything i need (including playing video smoothly) and is nice and small

The only issue is that its hard to annotate diagrams in lectures and powerpoint is not a great program to read lecture slides and take notes on them (you need text boxes, or to use the notes section at the bottom). And sometimes the notes are in PDF which are pretty much uneditable. It is nice being able to surf the web during boring lectures tho

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC

Buy netbook, reformat with Linux.

Win.

BTW doing Linux in TAFE, fuck yes.

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
lol shut up nerds windows is fine for a university netbook

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
vista is never ever used on Netbooks, we are talking about netbooks not laptops. Vista was fine on a laptop if you computer could handle it.

MailMofo

HSC
Buy netbook, reformat with Linux.

Win.

BTW doing Linux in TAFE, fuck yes.
"Doing Linux" ?

The Linux TAFE course is for those with borderline retardation.
Sorry to say mate, you won't learn a thing. But i guess that's a given with a TAFE course. :)

Last edited:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
"Doing Linux" ?

The Linux TAFE course is for those with borderline retardation.
Sorry to say mate, you won't learn a thing. But i guess that's a given with a TAFE course. :)

The coding you dick for brains.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Your going to TAFE to learn to write code?

Goodluck ever getting a job :)

Good luck having a life.

Tell me, how many years are you going to be in Uni? Im completing a Cert 4 in 6 months, compared to your several years.

By the time you rear your ugly head out of uni and stand on your own two feet, i would probably be your supervisor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)