Need some Info...Please (1 Viewer)

pricklygoo

HSC
Heys dudes i need some information on "we are Australian".. you know the song, "i am you are we are Australian" just wondering if anybody has any notes or anything to do with it as i have analysed it and not come up with a great deal.

Cheers,
Paddy:snowman:

bored of sc

HSC
Paddy, if you haven't already, print off the lyrics with double-spacing and go through each line/phrase listing the ideas of belonging presented and techniques used to represent these ideas.

Just some thoughts you may like to consider:
- Australia is a cultural phenomenon: multicultural, different religions, various lifestyles/social statuses etc. "From all the lands on Earth we come" --- this could encompass all the different identities of others (age, gender, religion, ethnicity/race, position in society, occupation, socio-economic status, values) which collectively form a multi-faceted, 'jack-of-all-trades' Australia.
- The main message of the song is that of universal belonging to a country. It aims to celebrate differences, appreciate the uniqueness and embrace the commonality of all Australians. Although this message is positive and heart-warming it fails to truly summarise Australia as it abandons some of the values of the dominant hegemony i.e. racist, homophobic, sexist etc. The song provides a safety-blanket on which many Australians can gain a sense of 'justified existence' - that in fact we are all valuable in this society and all have gifts/talents to share with the masses AND the 'status quo' (the way things are at present) is fine. Hmm... It doesn't hurt to experiment with ideas.
- Try to capture the context of the song alot as this give a more accurate analysis. Was it written during a time when Aboriginies were being denied land rights? Was it written as a result of feminist protest, to shut up the woman who were now crying out at the poor living/working conditions they had to endure? What is Australia like now? Is it much different to what Australia was like during the composition of the song? What was the context of the composer (nationality, gender, SES [socio-economic-status]).
- Remember to use plenty of quotes and techniques. You can say rhyme (if applicable) is used to create a patriotic tone/mood which reinforces the messages of acceptance, friendship, harmony etc in relation to belonging. The present tense suggests a call for action of the 'bad-stuff' and continuation of the 'good-stuff'. The words 'I', 'you' and 'we' (first, second person narration) are very intimate and personal which directly involves the responder, building a relationship and empathy with the composer's ideologies.
- The only thing we have in common is that we are all different.
- If you are in doubt analyse the music. What is the tone colour? (optimistic, partiotic, harmonious sound quality heightens the ideas of blah blah blah) What instruments are used? (the choir represents the many people/voices)

The best pieces of advice I can give: What are your thoughts on the lyrics of the piece of music? Do any of the phrases reach you on a personal level? Why is THIS text a great choice for belonging?

pricklygoo

HSC
ok thanks man. i have done it, it all made sense. great information you gave me , really appreciate it. Good luck with your HSC and all that.

Cheers,
Paddy :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)