need info on "In the Folk Museum" (1 Viewer)

mamoz

HSC
im currently studying "Peter Skrzynecki" poems and writing an essay using three of his poems plus 2 related texts .. i really need information on "In the Folk Museum" :angry:. i got under a paragraph of information but needing more .. so if anyone has more info .. please reply .. its duee firstt day backk to schooll .. thank you

brookl

HSC
mamoz said:
im currently studying "Peter Skrzynecki" poems and writing an essay using three of his poems plus 2 related texts .. i really need information on "In the Folk Museum" :angry:. i got under a paragraph of information but needing more .. so if anyone has more info .. please reply .. its duee firstt day backk to schooll .. thank you
my though on this poem is the following;
-this poem explores the concept of belonging to a place
-the poet is trying to find a past and history that he can connect to, but he cant find omething that he is able to connect to.
-the museum is a very dark and unlively place and it seems that only the people who are connected to the history visit the place and the new generation does not
-i also think that it explores the idea that we are becoming further removed from our past

i hope this ideas help

bored of sc

HSC
Agree with the post above.

To add:
- Title is generalised (doesn't actually state the name of the museum): this creates a sense of personal detachment from the museum which reinforces Skryznecki's apathy towards the place. The could also be double entendre/pun with the reference to 'folk' possibly meaning his ancestors.
- The references to darkness personify it as a pervasive, harmful entity - to use a cliche, his past is coming back to haunt him.
- Skryznecki denies his past, believing it is irrelevant. This is coupled with the fact that the imagery of the museum is particularly tedious and monotonous [e.g. listing of artefacts (box iron, hay knife) bores the responder].
- The motif of colour imagery contrasts the dullness of the museum (grey clay bottle) with the aesthetically pleasing nature of the Autumn street outside (yellow, brown). This works as a form of classic symbolism/juxtaposition of black/white, light/dark, good/evil, life/death etc. The musuem resembles the past, devoid of liveliness and possibly while outdoors beyond the museum portrays the hope of the future.
- The imperfect cadence in the concluding line "Would you please sign the Visitor's Book?" reveals two ideas about Pete's belonging status. (1) Due to immigration he is now a visitor in Poland and Australia - cultural purgatory. (2) The act of signing means he will acknowledge his past, accept his culture and achieve some sense of belonging to a culture.
- The alliteration in the final stanza is that of a soft, consonantal 'w' sound. It is used to reflect Pete's relief in leaving the musuem which implies Pete is moving on from his Polish heritage and looking for new entities to belong.

Far out english is a waste of time. Don't know why I bother.

mamoz

HSC
omg guys thanks soo much for the information u provided for me ! .. much appreciated =]

mamoz

HSC
one more question ..
what is the tone of "In the folk museum"
cant figure dat one out lol

bored of sc

HSC
Tone is the composer's attitude towards the topic. For this particular poem I'd say detached, ambiguous, depressed and confused. Be sure to back up your opinion with examples/techniques though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)