Need Advice; Economics or Commerce? (1 Viewer)

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
I'm a first year student in my final semester at SIBT. Next year I'll be going into the second year of a Macquarie Uni degree, and now I'm in the process of evaluating my options.

I have an interest in economics, but I'm aware that an accounting focused degree would have better job prospects. I'd also like to begin my CA accreditation at the end of my degree.

So here are my questions...

1. Would a straight B.Com allow me to double-major in Accounting and Finance?

2. What about a B.Com-Accg? Is it too strict for me to double-major? Does it look better than just a straight B.Com degree?

3. Am I right in assuming there's no way I could double-major in Accounting and Finance while doing a B.Ec?

4. Is it possible for me to do a double degree of a B.Com with a B.Ec?

5. Would it be possible to structure a B.Ec study program that would still allow me to become CA accredited?

6. Would it be worth my time considering a double degree of a B.Com with a B.App.Fin?

7. Any other advice?

Okay, sorry for all the stupid questions. And thanks in advance for those who come to answer my post.

Cheers,
Luke. :)

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
think the CA accrediation comes with the b comm accg ONLY, someone verify this ?

1. dont think so

6. yes, only an extra year with an extra degree why not?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yes CA or CPA accreditation only applies with the B. Comm- ACCG degree.

1. no you can not double major in accounting and finance under a single b. commerce degree. here are the possible degree majors: http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?edition=2005&id=21052

if you want to double major, i think your only option is to do a b. commerce- accg / b. applied finance.

2. b. commerce- accg looks better than a straight b. commerce as it mentions what your major is. you wouldn't be able to double major in accounting and finance under a b. commerce- accg. i suggest you do a double degree of b. commerce- accounting and b. applied finance.

3. yes you are right to assume you can not double major in accounting and finance under a b. economics. here are the possible programs allowed under b. economics: http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?edition=2005&id=21063

4. if you want to combine a b. economics and b. commerce, you would have to speak to the SES about that. you are able to combine both degrees, the problem being is that you would have to structure your own degree. there is more info on the SES website under "concurrent degrees". ((i'd find the site but i'm too lazy right now, maybe later))

5. no you wouldn't be able to structure a b. economics degree so you can get CA accreditation. the reason being is that you don't have enough electives to take the required number of accounting units.

6. yes your only option is to do the combined b. commerce- accg and b. applied finance if you are set on majors in accounting and finance. in your thread it sounds as if you have no interest in economics and would rather do accounting and finance.

7. b. commerce- accounting and b. applied finance IS FOR YOU! :D

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
jlh, thanks for your very informative answers. It seems my choices are more limited than I would like. :(

I'm curious about this course... http://www.accg.mq.edu.au/html/pdf/programsp6.pdf

It says "Professional Accounting with Finance"... but you sound like you know your stuff, so I'm guessing it's not a double-major?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Notice in the pdf: "Coherent Study Code. ACCG03"

The degree program is, in fact, BCom-Accg as the Handbook shows in:

http://handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2005&vid=21210

Also, I don't think there is such a thing as a double major within one degree at Macquarie University. Although someone correct me on this, with an example, if I'm wrong. There are however double degrees which are four years long (unless the double includes Law).

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
huh what happened to my post above yours flyin'?

anyways it was something along the lines of your post flyin'...

i thought mq had scrapped that b commerce in accounting and finance degree. you should check with ERIC or SES about that particular degree program..

as for double majoring in a single degree, it is possible. eg: http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2005&code=PSYC01

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
http://www.accg.mq.edu.au/html/prospective.htm#q3 said:
Macquarie has innovative programs at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. New undergraduate programs include combinations of accounting with marketing and with organisational behaviour; a new double major in accounting and finance; and the Bachelor of Business Administration and Bachelor of Applied Finance, as well as a number of double degrees.
Seems like theyre developing it ?

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
And I just found this on http://www.accg.mq.edu.au/html/prospective.htm#q3

Can I do a double major in accounting and finance? What are the options and how long does it take?

At Macquarie, any combination of "majors" can be achieved provided that you qualify for entry to the desired programs. A combined degree in Accounting and Finance is a populare choice for students which enables students to obtain a full professional accounting "major" plus a finance "major", all within three years full-time or six years part-time study.
So, if for whatever reason I am refused a double degree (I have a GPA of 3.25, will that be enough?), I could still double major within a B.Com, in Accounting and Applied Finance?

Also, if I were to drop the Applied Finance side of things, and instead combine Accounting with Economics somehow, what kind of implications would this have for my career options? Doesn't Economics lend itself more towards the banking & investment side of this?

I've also heard you need to be pretty damn good at Economics to be attractive to employers, while if you focus your studies on Accounting & Finance, a credit-average is usually sufficient for good employment oppotunities, is this true?

By the way, thank you so much for helping me with all this stuff. It's all pretty confusing, but this thread is helping heaps. :)

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
jlh said:
huh what happened to my post above yours flyin'?

anyways it was something along the lines of your post flyin'...

i thought mq had scrapped that b commerce in accounting and finance degree. you should check with ERIC or SES about that particular degree program..

as for double majoring in a single degree, it is possible. eg: http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2005&code=PSYC01
I'm not sure what you mean by not seeing your post. Anyway it's here again:
jlh said:
yes CA or CPA accreditation only applies with the B. Comm- ACCG degree.

1. no you can not double major in accounting and finance under a single b. commerce degree. here are the possible degree majors: http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?edition=2005&id=21052

if you want to double major, i think your only option is to do a b. commerce- accg / b. applied finance.

2. b. commerce- accg looks better than a straight b. commerce as it mentions what your major is. you wouldn't be able to double major in accounting and finance under a b. commerce- accg. i suggest you do a double degree of b. commerce- accounting and b. applied finance.

3. yes you are right to assume you can not double major in accounting and finance under a b. economics. here are the possible programs allowed under b. economics: http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?edition=2005&id=21063

4. if you want to combine a b. economics and b. commerce, you would have to speak to the SES about that. you are able to combine both degrees, the problem being is that you would have to structure your own degree. there is more info on the SES website under "concurrent degrees". ((i'd find the site but i'm too lazy right now, maybe later))

5. no you wouldn't be able to structure a b. economics degree so you can get CA accreditation. the reason being is that you don't have enough electives to take the required number of accounting units.

6. yes your only option is to do the combined b. commerce- accg and b. applied finance if you are set on majors in accounting and finance. in your thread it sounds as if you have no interest in economics and would rather do accounting and finance.

7. b. commerce- accounting and b. applied finance IS FOR YOU! :D
Also, the link refers to a single degree with a single major, ie. Psychology. Notice how under Major there is only one major.

Major: Psychology
Area of Study: Psychology
Degrees: BA - Psych - Bachelor of Arts- Psychology (UAC Preference 300127)
Offered By: Department of Philosophy,
Department of Psychology,
LP - Division of Linguistics and Psychology,
SCMP - Division of Society, Culture, Media and Philosophy

I think it's a minor in philosophy or something along those lines.

Ktulu-Spiral said:
And I just found this on http://www.accg.mq.edu.au/html/prospective.htm#q3

So, if for whatever reason I am refused a double degree (I have a GPA of 3.25, will that be enough?), I could still double major within a B.Com, in Accounting and Applied Finance?

Also, if I were to drop the Applied Finance side of things, and instead combine Accounting with Economics somehow, what kind of implications would this have for my career options? Doesn't Economics lend itself more towards the banking & investment side of this?
I think the content of the quote is wrong (not the post). There is no way you can walk out of Macquarie with a BAppFin BCom-Accg in three years with extensive Summer School and overloading. Unlike other universities, Macquarie separates its Finance degree so that its an individual degree. Its a double major because you do two degrees (Applied Finance and Commerce-Accounting).

Generally finance would be more useful for banking and investments (than economics).

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
Ah, right. So they've just screwed up, and to attain the double major you need to do a double degree?

Elsewhere it says a B.Com-Accg with a B.App.Fin takes four years of full-time study. So that's not too bad. Looks like I'll be applying for a double degree then.

Still, I'll have to wait until my third semester goes back next week and start asking some questions.

Just out of interest, to what kind of careers does Economics lead?

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
Also, I don't think there is such a thing as a double major within one degree at Macquarie University. Although someone correct me on this, with an example, if I'm wrong. There are however double degrees which are four years long (unless the double includes Law).
I assume you're talking about non-Humanities subjects?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
No, not just non-Humanities.

Find me a Humanities (Arts) degree which allows a double major (where it lists two things as major and not just one major plus "a minor" - Take the above example, which seemed to be a double major in psychology and philosophy, but it clearly states only one major, ie. psychology)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)