My friend... (1 Viewer)

strasiotto

HSC
Ok, this thread is actually about a friend of mine. His doing geography, and doing really well in it. However, he has a small class, and basically they suck nuts at everything, like they're complete failures in all seriousness.

and thats being nice :p

So, should he keep the subject (he has 13 units, so he can drop it), or should he drop it? As an indicator of how much they suck, theres 10 people in his class, for the first HSC assesment, the second highest was 80% and 2 people failed.

Thanks all for your time :)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Is he coming first?
If he enjoys it, yes, continue it. Because if he's coming first the others won't drag him down.
If they make the class crap though, like the discussion is not deep and interesting, maybe he should. I think discussion is a really important aspect of a subject, and if your peers make the learning environment not enjoyable, then the rest of the year is just going to drag...

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
Seeing as though I know the OP, I think I can assume I know this person. Really good guy, works hard, enjoys the subject.

He does chem, physics, 4U maths, adv. english, and SOR1 on top of geo.

strasiotto

HSC
Is he coming first?
If he enjoys it, yes, continue it. Because if he's coming first the others won't drag him down.
really? is that true? Because I always thought that if a class did horrible, everyone got scaled down...

lychnobity

HSC
If and ONLY if, this person ranks first at the end of the year, then the others in the class will have no effect on his ATAR.

Ignorantt

HSC
What kind of Retards ruin the learning enviroment in year 12?

Anyway, If he enjoys it, Keep it if not drop it and focus on your other subjects.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
really? is that true? Because I always thought that if a class did horrible, everyone got scaled down...

Well, I could be wrong, but I thought that if you were ranked first, and you do well in externals, they can't drag you down...

But that's just what I've assumed from various talks etc at school... Like I said, I could be wrong.

Zephyrio

HSC
If he's coming first (and it sounds like he is), then he and only he is in charge of his mark. This is provided someone in his class doesn't beat him in the HSC external.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, this thread is actually about a friend of mine. His doing geography, and doing really well in it. However, he has a small class, and basically they suck nuts at everything, like they're complete failures in all seriousness.

and thats being nice :p

So, should he keep the subject (he has 13 units, so he can drop it), or should he drop it? As an indicator of how much they suck, theres 10 people in his class, for the first HSC assesment, the second highest was 80% and 2 people failed.

Thanks all for your time :)
That class doesn't seem that bad to me.:confused:

Jack009

HSC
Even if someone bts him in externals, and he comes first in internals, he will take the other person's marks so it doesnt really affect him anyway.

If he indeed is coming first, and he enjoys the subject, then i suggest he keep the subject.

pman

Banned
HSC
scaling works thus: the highest external mark achieved in the grade becomes the first in grades internal mark, the lowest external mark becomes the bootom of grades internal mark and the other internal marks are calculated from there

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
He's right.
Not if you're coming first.
scaling works thus: the highest external mark achieved in the grade becomes the first in grades internal mark, the lowest external mark becomes the bootom of grades internal mark and the other internal marks are calculated from there
Correct except for the bolded bit (as told by Lazarus). We were told the same by Chapple but apparently that's not how it goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)