MX1 or MX2? (1 Viewer)

lisa_xo

HSC
hey i was wondering if its better to go really really well in 2U or fail in 4U?
i failed my 4U exam (45%) and i got 93% in my maths 2U. should i keep 4U or drop it????

mathsgod

HSC
hey i was wondering if its better to go really really well in 2U or fail in 4U?
i failed my 4U exam (45%) and i got 93% in my maths 2U. should i keep 4U or drop it????

I reckon if you're doing awesome at 2U and 3U you should just stick to them and ace them rather than failing 4U. Haha its ironic that youre doing all the same subjects as me for the HSC

lisa_xo

HSC
but will not doing 4U really kill my ATAR?
wow really never met anyone doing all 3 sciences. =)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
but will not doing 4U really kill my ATAR?
wow really never met anyone doing all 3 sciences. =)
It won't kill your atar - you just need a much higher mark in 2U to get the same 4U mark is all. That and if you do 4U then 3U is counted as one subject (meaning you have an extra excellent scaling subject) rather than 3U counting as only 1 unit ifyou do 2U maths.

Does 4u interst you more than 2U? Are you willing to work a bit harder in 4U? If you have answered no to those 2 questions, stick with 2U. If you have answered yes to those 2 questions, stick with 4U. If you have answered yes to one and no to another, stick with 2u :)

2 of my friends did all 3 sciences ^^

vik0188

HSC
at my school they dont make you do any more 2U assesments past the first, if your school is the same i would reccomend continuing 4U and if you continue to fail drop it at a later time, then they'll use your 2U mark which you kicked ass in so youll still get a good rank. The only downside would be studying the 4U topic for no reason, but if you think that theres a good chance you can improve in 4U, which is highly probable as you are good at maths( shown by your 2U mark), then keep 4U as 4U scales heaps better than 2U.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
^
Yeah

If you can manage to get 50% in 4U (as in trial papers and past hsc paper), keep 4U!

mathsgod

HSC
It won't kill your atar - you just need a much higher mark in 2U to get the same 4U mark is all. That and if you do 4U then 3U is counted as one subject (meaning you have an extra excellent scaling subject) rather than 3U counting as only 1 unit ifyou do 2U maths.

Does 4u interst you more than 2U? Are you willing to work a bit harder in 4U? If you have answered no to those 2 questions, stick with 2U. If you have answered yes to those 2 questions, stick with 4U. If you have answered yes to one and no to another, stick with 2u :)

2 of my friends did all 3 sciences ^^

I agree, if 4U is really interesting you and you're seeking a mathematical based career, it would do you good. However, if you're not willing to spend the gratuitous amounts of time required then maybe you're better off just concentrating on 2U and 3U.

lisa_xo

HSC
i dont know if 4U interests me.....
i kinda have a shit teacher so i didnt learn that much.
and i think my school makes you do all 4U 3U and 2U untill after the trials. which is kinda crappy.

ahhhh i cant decide.
so is it better for me to get a 90 in 2U or about a 70 in 4U????

and im not really looking for a maths based career.

Last edited:

@@@@@

HSC
okay at this stage just starting yr 11 in 2010. I am doing maths, ex1 maths, adv english.biol, physics,chemistry. I thought that meant 3 units maths. Would the 1unit for extension maths be included in ATAR if it was better than say my physics. Ie part of physics only included ??? Hope this makes sense sorry??

mathsgod

HSC
and i think my school makes you do all 4U 3U and 2U untill after the trials. which is kinda crappy.

ahhhh i cant decide.

For your ATAR, 4U would be awesome to get 70 in, cause its weighting would push it up heaps far

mathsgod

HSC
okay at this stage just starting yr 11 in 2010. I am doing maths, ex1 maths, adv english.biol, physics,chemistry. I thought that meant 3 units maths. Would the 1unit for extension maths be included in ATAR if it was better than say my physics. Ie part of physics only included ??? Hope this makes sense sorry??

Yeah that's how it works. If physics was your lowest mark but you were doing only 11 units, they would count the top 10 (i.e. incl. Ext 1 and half of your physics result.

lisa_xo

HSC
wow exactally same subjects as me in yr 11.
yeah if your maths is better than physics, then only one unit of physics will count and your 3U mark will count.
they take your best 10 units (including english) no matter what they are.

@@@@@

HSC
Okay thanks for your replies they made it cleare in my mind.. I am actually giving mx1 a go but not sure how i will go. Just wish we didnt have to do english!!! but i bet they use all that 2units no choice!!!
I thought it might help for year 12 even if I drop to just mathematics(old Advanced) after year 11

mathsgod

HSC
Okay thanks for your replies they made it cleare in my mind.. I am actually giving mx1 a go but not sure how i will go. Just wish we didnt have to do english!!! but i bet they use all that 2units no choice!!!
I thought it might help for year 12 even if I drop to just mathematics(old Advanced) after year 11

Oh my GOD i hate english with a passion. No joke it's lowered my overall scores so much cause im so shocking at it

lisa_xo

HSC
good its just not me whose crap at english. all it is, is a bullshit competition on who can use the biggest words in a sentence. ITS POINTLESS!!

bob fossil

HSC
You got to think about how much your 4 unit marks will get pushed up. Say you get 50 as a raw mark its going to align up a long way, scale up again when calculating your atar. As said before if you can pull off 50% is 4 unit your going to end up with a very nice mark at the end.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
i dont know. But i would probably drop it. Depends on how hard the test was

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Go the 4 units of it and spend a little more time on it. Maths takes time and I know that for a fact.

ash_xx

HSC
N/A
haha im in a similar situation
idk whether to drop or not
i did ext1 maths for hsc this yr and i got 96 for 2U
and now im like...geez dont rly wna give tht 96 up...
but 4U will be good for ATAR...but i wna focus on ym other subs as well....idk :S :S

wt is the equivalent 4U mark to a 96 in 2U?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

ahhhh i cant decide.

70/120 in the 4U hsc exam would be aligned to about 89 which gives a MUCH higher scaled mark than a 90 in 2U. So basically 70% in 4U > 90% in 2U.

But seeing as you don't want a mathematical degree, just stick with 3U unless you have a high ATAR aim :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)