multiple choice (1 Viewer)

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
i basically tried to ignore the diagram cuz it confused me, i just remembered my notes about electromagnetic braking and eddy currents, and the induction cooktop uses the same principle but except uses it to create heat, so i got d, what bout ppl who didnt get d?

sub

paztaboy said:
can somebody explain why can't q 11 can't be d?
i dont think they can, cos it IS d...but i would like to hear reasons for it not being d, incase i missed something :)

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
paztaboy said:
I believe it's an ambiguous question. Both c and d involve eddy currents and the conservation of energy etc. But i think c is more correct as it is used to create motion etc like the brake stops motion... But as i said its quite ambiguous

sub

right...well, i take back my previous comment.

also, for q6, i put b...but apparently u can argue a, cos u get constant acceleration if a= 0 aswell right? so wouldn't that work too?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
Nightcrawler said:
shiT! i put d for q6 but now i see that its b
this is how i worked it out but it might be wrong
the vehicle is accelerating uniformly horizontally, say at an acceleration of 9.8m/s2, the same as gravity
the ball is also accelerating at 9.8 m/s2 downwards, so if you compare these two components, you'll get a linear relationship, so the answer is b for q6

the ball doesn't keep travelling with a uniform acceleration though, it has no thrust anymore, it will start decelerating at a constant speed, thus its velocity will be a curve

grimreaper

HSC
Yes I agree with L45er simply because both induction motors and electromagnetic braking involve movement, but theres no movement in an induction cook top just eddy currents forming to make heat

grimreaper

HSC
gordo said:
the ball doesn't keep travelling with a uniform acceleration though, it has no thrust anymore, it will start decelerating at a constant speed, thus its velocity will be a curve
yes thats what i thought to - but if you think about it if that were right even D wouldnt be correct - it'd have to be a curve that starts going down the page and heads left instead of the other way around

Last edited:

SuperDuperMicky

HSC
ramanij said:
so is the answer to 6 b c or d

Okay, now let's just picture for a moment that the train thingo is travelling at relativistic speeds... ahhahaha i hate relativity

sub

gordo said:
i dont think ur right, gordo. at the point of release, the ball has a certain speed - the same as the train at that point. when released, the ball maintains that speed cos there is no acceleration in the x-axis, thus the train will accelerate away. if u draw verticals from the centre of each time frame ball, then u see that there is a greater distance between each time section, indicating that the train IS accelerating away, which is what is occurring...obviously, this is ignoring air resistance...

sub

grimreaper said:
yes thats what i thought to - but if you think about it if that were right even D wouldnt be correct - it'd have to be a curve that starts going down the page and heads left instead of the other way around
d does go down the page and to the left?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i put b anyway cause i thought it was right for reasons everyone is saying
but i am reconsidering after thinking that the fram of referrence is accelearting away, hence the horizontal velocity relative to the cart will be accelerating not equally spaced

sub

but B isnt equally spaced! but the curve thing u sed earlier is...i dont think i understand what ur trying to say gordo...y do u think its d now?

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
paztaboy said:

Electromagnetic braking and induction motors work under the principles of Lenz's Law, where as induction cooking does not.

smallcattle

HSC
sub said:
y? to small cattle...
cuz i was dumb!! didnt even read the question carefully

if it was observed from a outsider view it should be c, but since the question asked for observer from the frame of reference of the vehicle.. damn it

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
sub said:
right...well, i take back my previous comment.

also, for q6, i put b...but apparently u can argue a, cos u get constant acceleration if a= 0 aswell right? so wouldn't that work too?
I sincerely hope the BOS will accept 2 answers again as a consequence of question wording.

superbird

HSC
i reckon q6 is A. basically i thought of galileo's experiment of the crows nest and came to that conclusion. and yeh constant acceleration could also mean a=0

grimreaper

HSC
sub said:
d does go down the page and to the left?
what i meant is itd have to turn towards the left instead of turning down if you get my meaning

Muzzy

Here are the actual answers as given by my tutor.........argue if u may but these are all correct:

1. b
2.A
3. D
4. B
5. A
6. C
7. A
8. C
9. A
10. a
11. D
12.B
13 a
14. b
15. b

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)