MQ, UNE or SCU? (1 Viewer)

zombiejesus

HSC
I know the answer may seem obvious to some.

I have offers for an LL.B from MQ, UNE and SCU, and I am unsure which to except. They are all the same, in that they are all external (distance) mode, graduate entry courses. MQ is part time, which I may have to do for the others anyway, due to the need to eat (which necessitates working).

I live in Sydney, so again, the answer may seem obvious, but I would really like to make a good decision on this. I need to balance actual quality of education with the perception of quality that will net good job opportunities. For some reason I am leaning toward UNE...

Any ideas at all? And reasons why one is better than the others? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
is there any particular reason for your choosing distance learning? i would've thought a part-time, evening program would be better for employment prospects.

zombiejesus

HSC
Do you have any examples where distance study lessened a graduate's employment prospects? As far as I'm aware, the mode of study is not shown on the degree...

Anyway, my reasons, insofar as the relate to the three choices available, are becuase that's what's been offered to me. Well, also that I can't move to Armidale or Lismore. In addition, the part-time options were pretty thin, especially when night-classes come into the equation. UTS, for example, says that the part-time option does not necessarily mean night-classes will be available. Besides, distance study is more flexible, especially for someone working full-time.

So, in the end, it looks like distance, for the time being (not ruling out changing modes of study, or inter-institution transfer at a later date), is how it's going to go. Bearing this in mind, any thoughts on the universities in question?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
MQ would be easier to get to for OCS, we also record practically every lecture which means you can do anything by distance (which can be downloaded by mp3 format pretty soon after each lecture), if that helps.

zombiejesus

HSC
Thanks. That it is useful to know. Macquarie isn't forthcoming with alot of information on their website. I've spoken to people from the universities, but it's good to know what people who have studied at them think.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Mq's distance students program is quite well organised, with materials provided promptly and the assessment structure isn't bad either

zombiejesus

HSC
That's also good to know.
I have been seeing a few threads here saying the quality of Macquarie's Law School is dropping, or has dropped, lack of funding and so on. I could take this to mean it's not a good choice. But, relative to UNE or SCU, does this mean anything? Or is the quality/funding issue only in comparison to other Sydney universities?

LA88

HSC
Funding is dropping overall to non-science faculties. But relative to SCU and UNE I would imagine MQ comes out well on top.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
That's also good to know.
I have been seeing a few threads here saying the quality of Macquarie's Law School is dropping, or has dropped, lack of funding and so on. I could take this to mean it's not a good choice. But, relative to UNE or SCU, does this mean anything? Or is the quality/funding issue only in comparison to other Sydney universities?
In context, funding across many faculties and universities is dropping - as for Macquarie's Law School, as a distance student, potential impacts from funding cuts or lower quality is minimised because so much of what is learned is based on your own work and effort. The main thing that would be a major disadvantage would be if funding was reduced and thus, less available units which means less choice. Overall, Macquarie's distance programme is still a solid law degree.

breezy221090

HSC
Being a former student of dist ed law at une I wouldn't recommend it. There isn't much support given by lecturers etc because the dist ed kids and on campus kids share the unit pages. It's basically like studying on campus only you can't go and see your lecturers etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)