MQ Chatter Thread (3 Viewers)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you excited to graduate soon ilikecats?
Most definitely. This is my 6th year and I am very, very thrilled that's it's nearly done.

Uni is great and all, but I'm ready to be out in the big wide world of full time adult. I'm sure in a few years I'll miss it :lol:

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Ah, I'm a 22 yr old and I'm a first year student... :frown2: The lecturer for one of my subjects was like 'you are all 18' and I was in the front row, slowly shrinking...

But in all seriousness, the idea that people graduate after 3 years is just... becoming more irrelevant. Things happen, people change degrees / their minds, add stuff on etc. So don't be harsh on yourselves, everyone!

I plan to do 4 yrs at MQ, and then I'm out in the workforce.... I hope, lol. One semester (nearly) down, 7 to go...

Kolmias

HSC
Ah, I'm a 22 yr old and I'm a first year student... :frown2: The lecturer for one of my subjects was like 'you are all 18' and I was in the front row, slowly shrinking...

But in all seriousness, the idea that people graduate after 3 years is just... becoming more irrelevant. Things happen, people change degrees / their minds, add stuff on etc. So don't be harsh on yourselves, everyone!

I plan to do 4 yrs at MQ, and then I'm out in the workforce.... I hope, lol. One semester (nearly) down, 7 to go...
What are you planning on doing post-uni?

Kolmias

HSC
Most definitely. This is my 6th year and I am very, very thrilled that's it's nearly done.

Uni is great and all, but I'm ready to be out in the big wide world of full time adult. I'm sure in a few years I'll miss it :lol:
Gonna be an audit lyfer or move into industry after a few years? :p

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I have a few IT lectures who still think it's the 90s. They talk about dial up and fax machines like we've never heard of them before. I'm very much in the cusp of the generation that had these things, but I definitely remember having them!

My 12 year old cousin was horrified to learn my dad doesn't own a mobile phone. She didn't understand how he was able to communicate with anyone :lol:

I've realised this happens at work too. People have a difficult time trusting me because I'm so young, and then I'm like, "I can use a fax machine. But why the hell do our clients still think this is an efficient method of communication?"

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Gonna be an audit lyfer or move into industry after a few years? :p
I'm already out of accounting actually! Just doing IT now.

I'd consider IT audit though. A completely different kettle of fish :lol:

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Well my plans post uni... are so unrealistic lol. The dream is DFAT, but really anything involving:

-Writing, communications on an international level. But I hate the journalism / media industry, you know? I'm just really good at being critical, lol and so many people have suggested journalism to me... it's just a yucky industry.
-Politics (Policy), Defense & Military and / or Security. Most State / Federal Government roles should be fine, but especially being an advisor / analyst.
-Research in general

I also have plans during university to complete outside of my degree but I kind of find it hard to get involved with co-cirricular. Hopefully next year I can become a peer mentor and finally go to the debating meetings. And of course, the Global Leadership Program :) Some internships / work experience would also be handy.

As I'm quite proud of the marks I'm getting atm, I'd love to do an honors year. Sadly, MQ don't offer them so I'd do it at Usyd, ANU or UNSW. That'd really boost up my chances for DFAT, lol. I don't think ASIO has a graduate program (they require years of experience so I'm not really thinking about them atm). What I want to get into is very competitive, and I'd be competing against the best.

So um... yeah. I just stumbled into modern history / international studies, and loved it! By your signature, you're aiming for Commerce at UNSW. That's pretty cool, Commerce is a pretty broad field. Are there any areas you are interested in?

Kolmias

HSC
Well my plans post uni... are so unrealistic lol. The dream is DFAT, but really anything involving:

-Writing, communications on an international level. But I hate the journalism / media industry, you know? I'm just really good at being critical, lol and so many people have suggested journalism to me... it's just a yucky industry.
-Politics (Policy), Defense & Military and / or Security. Most State / Federal Government roles should be fine, but especially being an advisor / analyst.
-Research in general

I also have plans during university to complete outside of my degree but I kind of find it hard to get involved with co-cirricular. Hopefully next year I can become a peer mentor and finally go to the debating meetings. And of course, the Global Leadership Program :) Some internships / work experience would also be handy.

As I'm quite proud of the marks I'm getting atm, I'd love to do an honors year. Sadly, MQ don't offer them so I'd do it at Usyd, ANU or UNSW. That'd really boost up my chances for DFAT, lol. I don't think ASIO has a graduate program (they require years of experience so I'm not really thinking about them atm). What I want to get into is very competitive, and I'd be competing against the best.
That sounds really interesting! Good luck! You've still got ages to make yourself into a top candidate for those sort of roles if you do want to do it. :)

By your signature, you're aiming for Commerce at UNSW. That's pretty cool, Commerce is a pretty broad field. Are there any areas you are interested in?
Not entirely sure I'd be able to make it into Commerce at UNSW (it's my first choice anyway), so if I don't get a high enough ATAR to get in at UNSW, I'll probs go to MQU which seems like the next best option for commerce (don't rate UniSyd tbh, haven't heard great things about the culture and the ATAR requirement is really high). The sort of fields I'm interested in would be audit, corporate advisory, insolvency, superannuation or I'd really like to get into a generalist grad program with a large company or even the APS. I'm not entirely sure really but I've always liked commerce and love talking about finance, economics, and business so commerce just feels like it would be a great fit as a degree.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

Still on track to graduate I hope?

Also most of my subjects aren't double pass this semester!

For an accounting student it feels like a miracle....

Still worried about ACCG308 though :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)