MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Also I think new BUSL250 covers the BUSL301 as well so if you do this unit you'll still be CA accredited

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Did UTS give you an offer?
Yes....

For whatever reason im having issues trying to enrol but if all goes to plan, ill be going there and finishing my degree mid 2018.

I will be a statistic of those who drop out of law. But oh well.

I STILL WANNA COME TO ANY MEETS THAT HAPPEN THO. PLES.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes.... [emoji4]

For whatever reason im having issues trying to enrol but if all goes to plan, ill be going there and finishing my degree mid 2018.

I will be a statistic of those who drop out of law. But oh well.

I STILL WANNA COME TO ANY MEETS THAT HAPPEN THO. PLES.

Congratulations!!!

Laws over rated ;)

If you finish mid year 2018 you'll manage to beat me to graduating!!

We'll obviously require you at any meats because despite joining UTS you'll always be a Mqer ;)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Congratulations!!!

Laws over rated ;)

If you finish mid year 2018 you'll manage to beat me to graduating!!

We'll obviously require you at any meats because despite joining UTS you'll always be a Mqer ;)
Hoping to graduate by then!!! I can get that second promotion and become a senior accountant!!! One step closer to becoming a supervisor hehehe

Thanks for the MQ love. I swear i wouldve stayed if i had the option to split my degree... i actually really like the classes, the people and the convenience of the campus - such a nice place.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
So since InsoulvencyReaper is leaving us and is uninvited from our meet, I'll start planning this weekend :p

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
ive put my RPL application in and HECS all good ... thank god

Hope they credit everything in less than 4 weeks otherwise classes will be filled

umsez

HSC
Hi, I'm starting at MQ this year - got my timetable for sem 1 and everything - I was looking at the timeslots available for my sem 2 units and there is one lecture that only has one time option available that's a real inconvenience for me. I just wanted to know if they add more timeslots for units in sem 2 later in the year?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I'm starting at MQ this year - got my timetable for sem 1 and everything - I was looking at the timeslots available for my sem 2 units and there is one lecture that only has one time option available that's a real inconvenience for me. I just wanted to know if they add more timeslots for units in sem 2 later in the year?
Depending on unit enrollment in the subject then they may add more tutorials or lectures. Not everyone is currently able to register for classes yet.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
More lectures (and tutorials, practicals etc.) will become available once the timeslots are full. In the case of semester 2 units, this often is not until quite close to the start date. Keep checking back once a month or so to see if more have opened.

Another thing to consider, all lectures at Macquarie are recorded. If the lecture does not have attendance, you should be able to complete them online at your convenience. However, some lectures will be used to conduct assesments, so you must attend at the time you enrolled in for those. Very rarely is attendance taken, and generally this would be for smaller classes with combined lectures/workshops. It should be noted recorded lectures don't suit everyone's learning style, and if the recording fails, you may have nothing to view which puts you at an enormous disadvantage.

Where multiple lecture times are scheduled, they can cancel lectures if enrollment is too. In commerce I have found preference is given to the evening lecture to accommodate as many students as possible.

Can you tell us the unit? If anyone here has done it we may be able to tell you the likelihood of another lecture or attendance requirements.

On a serious note, semester 2 doesn't start until August. University does not revolve around your personal life. While you have many options and flexibility for your study, if you know 7 months in advance it is an inconvenience, you have time to reschedule whatever is preventing your study. The further into your degree you go, the smaller classes get, and the less options you will have.

If you are unable to find away to balance your studies and life outside of University, staff will become less forgiving over time.

You need to make study your main priority. Yes, jobs and social activities are important too, but if you are sacrificing your ability to complete your degree before them, you need to consider other options.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Only took 2 days - I've got 5 units from my recognition of prior learning application.

Need them to recognise ACCG101 and ACCG200, so I can enrol in a subject.

This is progress though! Woooooh.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Hmm, managed to cram everything into 2 days. Seems nice to have 3 day breaks but worried for unexpected Econ quizzes that will crossover. ACST101 and ACCG100 are both on the 2017 Unit guides but ECON111 and ECON110 aren't, so I used data from the 2016 one.

Day 1
- 3 tuts from 10:00 - 1pm with 1h break between 12 & 13.
- 1 Lecture, 1 tut 2:00 - 6:00 with 30 min break around 4pm
Day 2
- Lectures from 10-2pm, then another one at 4-5:25pm

Heard the first year won't have as many quizzes so I'm not exactly worried.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm, managed to cram everything into 2 days. Seems nice to have 3 day breaks but worried for unexpected Econ quizzes that will crossover. ACST101 and ACCG100 are both on the 2017 Unit guides but ECON111 and ECON110 aren't, so I used data from the 2016 one.

Day 1
- 3 tuts from 10:00 - 1pm with 1h break between 12 & 13.
- 1 Lecture, 1 tut 2:00 - 6:00 with 30 min break around 4pm
Day 2
- Lectures from 10-2pm, then another one at 4-5:25pm

Heard the first year won't have as many quizzes so I'm not exactly worried.
A couple of things to note and consider:

-Check the room locations for your back to back tutorials. I had a semester with 3 back to back classes, each on the opposite side of campus, and it was very stressful trying to make sure I got to the next one on time. The closer together, the easier it is.

-Again, 3 tutes back to back is risky with assessments. I don't know anyone that hasn't had an issue with mutliple assesments taking place or being due in the same week. You might be okay with your units, but keep this in mind.

-With your 1 hour break, on campus food stores and Macquarie Centre will be very busy. I'd highly recomend bringing your own food to save money and avoid the crowds. There's plenty of outdoor space to eat, or if you can find space, Muse and Baseline allow food inside.

As for unit guides, they could go up anytime between now and an hour before your first lecture. It's more common for them to go up closer to the start of semester. This also applies for ilearn pages. Keep an eye on both in case your unit has any changes or notices.
-

mrstripedshades

HSC
are the recommended initial units for app fin/accounting fine?

doing ACCG100, ACST101, ECON110, STAT150.

Half thinking to do econ111 instead of econ110 cus I heard its more maths based tbh.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
are the recommended initial units for app fin/accounting fine?

doing ACCG100, ACST101, ECON110, STAT150.

Half thinking to do econ111 instead of econ110 cus I heard its more maths based tbh.
Those units should be good to start of with for this session.

I'm not sure if you've done this or not but check out the unit guides for the current session/previous sessions http://unitguides.mq.edu.au/units if you want to have a vague idea when things are all due. From experience, it isn't fun to have most things due at the same time!

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
A couple of things to note and consider:

-Check the room locations for your back to back tutorials. I had a semester with 3 back to back classes, each on the opposite side of campus, and it was very stressful trying to make sure I got to the next one on time. The closer together, the easier it is.

-Again, 3 tutes back to back is risky with assessments. I don't know anyone that hasn't had an issue with mutliple assesments taking place or being due in the same week. You might be okay with your units, but keep this in mind.

-With your 1 hour break, on campus food stores and Macquarie Centre will be very busy. I'd highly recomend bringing your own food to save money and avoid the crowds. There's plenty of outdoor space to eat, or if you can find space, Muse and Baseline allow food inside.

As for unit guides, they could go up anytime between now and an hour before your first lecture. It's more common for them to go up closer to the start of semester. This also applies for ilearn pages. Keep an eye on both in case your unit has any changes or notices.
-
Thanks for the tips!

- I've looked at the rooms, they're pretty close together, so that's fine.

- Are assessments/quizzes usually done in tuts or lectures?

Those units should be good to start of with for this session.

I'm not sure if you've done this or not but check out the unit guides for the current session/previous sessions http://unitguides.mq.edu.au/units if you want to have a vague idea when things are all due. From experience, it isn't fun to have most things due at the same time!
Opinions on ECON111? STAT150 doesn't interest me as much, and I think I'll be better off doing more math-based subjects.

Last edited:

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I've looked at some of the subject reviews for ECON111, general consensus seems to be that its pretty easy if you've done HSC Economics. I haven't. Is it recommended for me to look at notes on HSC economics? (slightly not bothered), or even microeconomics on Khan Academy?

--

Looking at the social consequences of doing 2 days, I might not have a lot of spare time for clubs/uni activities. (I'm not even sure if I would want to, to be honest) My commute is about 10-20 mins by car so it isn't that bad. Should I give 2 days a try and test my fatigue for the first semester? Having 2 days could also let me find a part-time with 3 days office experience.

Does anyone else have experiences with 2 days full of classes?

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
- Are assessments/quizzes usually done in tuts or lectures?

Usually done in tutorials/practical at least for first year subjects. However some may be done in lectures but it will/should tell you in the unit guide/assessment guide.

Opinions on ECON111? STAT150 doesn't interest me as much, and I think I'll be better off doing more math-based subjects.
ECON111 was probably one of the easiest units in commerce out of the first year subjects. It has a lot of graphs, and I'd recommend that you attend or at least watch Prashan's lectures near the end of semester for "hints" (i.e what will be in the final exam etc). ECON111 isn't that mathematically based at all, and you'll need to do STAT150 eventually so it might as well get it over and done with.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
So I actually looked into my timetable properly in preparation for enrolling tomorrow...

You'd think 300 level isys units being run by the same 2 people would be scheduled so that they don't clash.

But they do.

So here I come really, really terrible timetable!

Looks like I'll need a parking permit. I'm going to be finishing at 10pm and the last bus is at 9.45!

I bet they are the half semester tutorials again too.

Can we take bets on how many times I actually use my permit? :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)