• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MQ Chatter Thread (4 Viewers)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I already went an spoke to the advisers at BESS. Because I'm in two faculties though it was slightly limited.

It appears my estudent isn't working properly, because I have no options for electives. So I never picked up on the fact I was short on units because I figured no options means I met my requirements.

I'm seriously considering dropping to one degree now though. I don't even want to be an accountant!
Oooooo I better check mine [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the professional account handbook lists how many electives you need to do.

My handbook does not, yet another reason I didn't pick up on it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm just going to do all the compulsory courses first then worry about electives :/

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Can you guys clarify my thoughts? (I am asking MQ officially, just curious what others think!)

If I need 69 credit points for my degree, and 42 must be designated commerce, can the balance of credit points (27 credit points) come from ANY designation, not just commerce? As long as I meet all other requirements like people/planet/pace and 200 level plus etc...

Because that's how I'm interpreting that, so I want to ensure I'm not completely a crazy person if/when I drop the accounting side of my degree :lol:

Seriously though, I'm such a mess. I legitimately am unsure of how I have functioned up until this point.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Schedule of Units
CP
1 Foundations of Law 3
2 Accounting 1A 3
3 Principles of Management 3
4 Quantitative Business Decision 3
5 Criminal Justice 3
6 Contracts 3
7 Law, Lawyers and Society 3
8 Accounting 1B 3
9 Property Law 3
10 Business Organisations 3
11 International Law 3
12 Techniques and Elements of Finance 3
13 Microeconomic Principles 3
14 Torts 3
15 Jurisprudence 3
16 Eqity and Trusts 3
17 Marketing Fundamentals 3
18 Intermediate Financial Accounting 3
19 Constitutional Law 3
20 Civil and Criminal Procedure 3
21 Fundamentals of Management Accounting 3
22 Administrative Law 3
23 Evidence 3
24 People / Planet Unit - Demographics 3
25 People / Planet Unit - UNKNOWN 3
26 Accounting in the Profession 3
27 Level 300 Accounting Unit - ACCG301 3
28 Level 300 Accounting Unit - ACCG308 3
29 Level 200+ Law Unit 3
30 Accounting in Context 3
31 Level 100+ Elective 3
32 Level 200+ Law Unit 3
33 Remedies 3
34 Level 200+ Law Unit 3
35 Level 200+ Law Unit 3
36 Level 200+ Law Unit 3
37 Level 200+ Law Unit 3
38 Level 300 Law Unit 3
39 Level 300 Law Unit 3
40 Level 300 Law Unit 3
Total 120

I made a schedule of units based on a program guide (shows which units to do in each semester). I think it includes electives :| I dunno though... eeeep

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Can you guys clarify my thoughts? (I am asking MQ officially, just curious what others think!)

If I need 69 credit points for my degree, and 42 must be designated commerce, can the balance of credit points (27 credit points) come from ANY designation, not just commerce? As long as I meet all other requirements like people/planet/pace and 200 level plus etc...

Because that's how I'm interpreting that, so I want to ensure I'm not completely a crazy person if/when I drop the accounting side of my degree :lol:

Seriously though, I'm such a mess. I legitimately am unsure of how I have functioned up until this point.
Well that is how I'd interpret it too

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
You know whats hard?

Finding a 300 level elective that isn't awful.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Feels when you throw up all over the floor in MUSE bathroom [emoji23]

Really wishing the cleaner was here right now [emoji30]

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I know so many people who've been really sick lately. Sorry to hear it was at uni for you, that's never pleasant.

On another note, I've got the official words from uni. " The remaining credit point can also be science or any other designation."

GUESS WHOS DROPPING ACCOUNTING?!?!?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I know so many people who've been really sick lately. Sorry to hear it was at uni for you, that's never pleasant.

On another note, I've got the official words from uni. " The remaining credit point can also be science or any other designation."

GUESS WHOS DROPPING ACCOUNTING?!?!?
Congratulations!

But :( because I have less people to give me feedback on accounting units

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Congratulations!

But :( because I have less people to give me feedback on accounting units
I love that I can get feedback from you [emoji23] woooooooh

I wanna drop law again but I'm trying desperately not to [emoji30]

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I love that I can get feedback from you [emoji23] woooooooh

I wanna drop law again but I'm trying desperately not to [emoji30]

Nearly decided to do law today then thought better not.

Need to be a fully employed frog at some point.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry, I need to take a 300 level elective and it's looking like that will be a 300 level accounting unit! :lol:

At least I'll finish next year instead of never now.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Don't worry, I need to take a 300 level elective and it's looking like that will be a 300 level accounting unit! :lol:

At least I'll finish next year instead of never now.
Woohoo!

I graduate in 3.5 years methinks. People at work telling me not to worry but man, it's gonna stifle my ability to get a promotion [emoji23]

Get them jobs!

If I drop law, I'll probably finish in 1.5 years. But done two years already [emoji23]

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I used to get that a lot at work. It's especially hard to hear because all the people telling me not to care were never in that position. They did their degree in 3 years and got into a grad program easily because there was no oversupply. Now they have nice and cars and own a house and can afford holidays every year.

It's really hard to listen to their advice when you could be making more money at Maccas, and every opportunity and luxury they have is almost impossible now. And watching your friends do "fun" degrees and get fantastic jobs straight away also is no help.

When were done will the extended time be worth it? I sincerely hope so.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I used to get that a lot at work. It's especially hard to hear because all the people telling me not to care were never in that position. They did their degree in 3 years and got into a grad program easily because there was no oversupply. Now they have nice and cars and own a house and can afford holidays every year.

It's really hard to listen to their advice when you could be making more money at Maccas, and every opportunity and luxury they have is almost impossible now. And watching your friends do "fun" degrees and get fantastic jobs straight away also is no help.

When were done will the extended time be worth it? I sincerely hope so.
What's ACCG358 like? Similar to ACCG250? Would love to hear your review on the subject sometime...

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Accg358 was a great unit. I'd say its similar to ACCG250, but I felt like it had more focus around one central concept (Audit Tables) and how all the different topics can be applied using that. A lot of the topics had to do with things like security, so common sense came into play.

Most people I know did really well in that unit. It's very straightforward, and if you attend the tutorials and listen to the lectures, there isn't any reason not to do well. The final exam was really easy if you had been paying attention.

I know there were a few people at the time that didn't like the unit. It's very much about applying common sense and what you've learned to a specific scenario, but some people didn't like Nui's teaching style or how the unit in general worked. For example, virus software is an example of a control you could put in place to protect a computer from viruses, but it isn't a HD quality answer. It isn't wrong, but saying that instead of something more complex and specific to the case, means you don't get top marks. A girl in my tute hated Nui and hated the unit because she didn't understand that you couldn't phrase that any differently to give it as a HD response because it would never be specific or tailored enough for the cases. Anyway...

If your looking for a 300 level elective, and you enjoyed Accg200, I'd recommend it. I'm also taking Accg355 now, and again, it's very much like being in ACCG250 with more written concepts, but a lot of straight forward and common sense.

Both also have great workloads, if that factors into anyone's decisions.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I need a 200 level or higher elective, of any designation, that is offered in semester 2.

Any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)