• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MOVIE: Closer (1 Viewer)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
she is so much hotter in the scenes where she isnt wearing a wig or playing the role of a stripper

natural natalie portman is uber sexy enough

Amryllis

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
does anyone else think that alice/jane dies at the end, because apparently in the play her character dies just as jude law's character discovers that she isnt alice...in the movie the only thing that alludes to this is at the end when the camera focuses on portman the camera pans up to a red crossing light- some ppl think she dies after this crossing the road
Wow... I didn't realise that's what the movie was suggesting... I didn't even notice the red crossing light. I just thought it was a nice way to wind up the movie - it's like back to square one, except this time, no Jude Law.

I quite liked the idea of Dan discovering that the relationship with his girlfriend of like 4 years was based on a lie. It was a huge twist in the end. Because you discover that she was actually telling the truth when Larry the dermatologist demanded to know her real name and she just kept repeating "Jane Jones" - which is REALLY her name. It was quite a clever ending - how you see her passport photo (the one that she swore that she would never show it to anyone) and her real name.

I also liked how Dan realised that he's been lied to all these years when he goes back to the cemetary - the place that he went to with "Alice" when they first met. The look on his face when he sees the plaque with the name "Alice Ayres" was absolutely gold. Quite tragic really...

Moral of the story - love sucks sometimes, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Life is a bitch.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Amryllis said:
I quite liked the idea of Dan discovering that the relationship with his girlfriend of like 4 years was based on a lie. It was a huge twist in the end. Because you discover that she was actually telling the truth when Larry the dermatologist demanded to know her real name and she just kept repeating "Jane Jones" - which is REALLY her name. It was quite a clever ending - how you see her passport photo (the one that she swore that she would never show it to anyone) and her real name.
when did that happen? i must have missed it, some of that movie went over my head. i didn't get the continual repitition of 'stranger' and there was another word.

Amryllis

HSC
The lie I was referring to was that Alice's real name is actually Jane. She lied to Dan about her name from the beginning. Personally, I don't see why she should have lied about her name. But given her unsuccessful past relationships, where she said she was the one that leaves, it's somewhat understandable. If she eventually needs to pull the disappearing act with this new man - Dan - then she can do so without him ever being able to track her down. And she does do this in the end when she flies back to New York (I think that's where she went - can't remember now).

What's in a name, ey?

I think the word "stranger" had a rather significant part in this film. It's like, you think you know somebody - but in the end, when the relationship dies, you realise you don't know/understand them at all. The whole name thing was part of that.

I think Alice's character is very complex and Natalie Portman portrays her very well. :)

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
I saw it in Canada back on like december 1st cause it came out earlier there..
and I thought it was pretty crap

icecreamdisco

HSC
add me to the 'hate' bandwagon.

all characters were boring cyphers and their 'witty' dialogue got tiresome really quick. by the end i was hoping it'd get full-on shakespearean with multiple suicides from every character, but instead they just get even whinier and we're treated to a hair conditioner ad starring natalie portman. and damien rice blows.

only good scene was the cybersex bit. deserved a better film to exist in.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Does anyone know who sings "Can't take my eyes off you" in the version in the film?

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
miss_b said:
Does anyone know who sings "Can't take my eyes off you" in the version in the film?
damien rice.

it's called "the blower's daughter"

love it

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i saw this film and absolutely LOVED it. This film, sideways and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind are the three greatest films of the year...

All the acting was BRILLIANT! and the characters were very complex and a lot of the emotion and clashes were done without words. Natalie Portman was a goddess in this film, simply beautiful and ethereal and oh so TALENTED!

Clive owen has always been a sex bomb, but in this film he was just so RAW!
"bend over and touch the fucking floor for my viewing pleasure."

Hude Law played a piss weak character as his usual piss weak self, with the most amazing part of his performance as when he hits Alice. People complain that he was really wussy, but i think that was just extraordinary casting...

Julia Roberts shits me, and i'm not afraid to say it. She brought this film down a notch, only because she's constantly being JULIA ROBERTS. But luckily she had the easiest role.

I was sad that neither Clive owen or Portman got oscars, but Morgan Freeman so deserved it after years of lucking out, still cate blanchett was shit in the aviator, i couldnt STAND her...Portma or Virginnia Madsen won in my eyes...

Anyway, its late, and im off to bed.

xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)