Move to China? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
true but i dont reckon its enough take for example only my family moved to aus but when i recently came back from china i felt i was leaving something behind
I reckon you should decide this around your final year or when you graduate, because that's when you will really know. Also, are you able to read and write Chinese fluently?

Gangstar1

HSC
I reckon you should decide this around your final year or when you graduate, because that's when you will really know. Also, are you able to read and write Chinese fluently?
true, i just kinda want some thoughts about im kinda mixed about it atm just kinda want some thoughts and direction and yer i can read and write =]

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
In regards to the OP ...

LOL what a coincidence? I can understand 110% where you are coming from.

I'm the same race (Asian but Korean though) Same age. Stuck in the same situation as you. Sucks major dick.

I just wanna start by saying our parents came to Australia for a reason. So that we may have 'better opportunities' than they had when they were growing up, dirt poor from wars and other internal conflicts such as recessions, famine but wait ... fast foward 20-30 years and we can see that our parents' homelands of the past have advanced rapidly - socially, economically and politically to become pretty much on par to the quality of life we enjoy in Australia i.e. Taiwan, South Korea, China, Japan just to name a few.

Don't go because there's no Medicare and other benefits offered in Australia? Its true that we may take it for granted and that in other nations the term 'public healthcare' doesn't even exist but people still live well, heck Asia has better medical facilities than Australia. At least there's no problems of hospital bed shortages in Korea haha.

Also, I recently visited Korea where I was surrounded by people of the same face, same speaking language, colour etc and for some odd reason eventhough I lived in Australia, a multicultural and vibrant nation, my country of birth - I felt completely at home. Mind you it was over 10+ years since I last visited so its not like I already knew the place already lol.

Its cool how you notice when in Asia you are the majority and NOT the minority. With that in mind you don't have to worry about like how you mentioned 'racist' remarks from idiots but I never did anyway cus I got selective hearing LMAO so yea either way it was the same for me.

Its a strange predicament to be in but what can we do cause we're 1.5 generation Asian Australians stuck between two cultures and two different lifestyles. I agree with the other posters to weigh out your PROs and CONs. I ultimately decided that I wanted to work overseas such as Hong Kong, New York, Seoul or Singapore for maybe 3-5 years at most after graduating from Uni before coming to Australia to settle down, keep working and retire maybe start a family lol that's too far in the future. Things can change at any point in time.

You still gotta remember Australia is your country of birth and its where you spent most of your life. The future can always change so mind that too. Don't bother planning too much ahead as well cus then you just end up confused even more and fall into a deep abyss of depression haha or maybe that's just me :S

Well hope this kind of helped coming from someone that's in the same boat as you. Remember there's probably thousands of people like us so talk it up with others.

Good luck with everything though!

zhiying

HSC
Here's some opinions who lived in China until 12 years old.

Pros:
-lots of Asian chicks ;)
-much, much, better transport, but obviously more crowded too. Cityfail sucks
-livelihood I guess, shops don't close at like 5
-food, I love Asian food but I guess the variety in Aus isn't all bad
-better net lol, but can't play games like mw3 because everyone is in America =.=
-has nukes, will probably survive WW3, not sure about Australia though...

Cons:
-air quality
-noise pollution
-lack of medicare
-lots of HW in school but that doesn't really apply to you anymore
-you look like everyone else
-hard to find jobs, competition much higher
-stuck in apartments forever...unless you're uber rich
-all you're money get owned by exchange rate :(

goobi

HSC
Here's some opinions who lived in China until 12 years old.

Pros:
-lots of Asian chicks ;)
-much, much, better transport, but obviously more crowded too. Cityfail sucks
-livelihood I guess, shops don't close at like 5
-food, I love Asian food but I guess the variety in Aus isn't all bad
-better net lol, but can't play games like mw3 because everyone is in America =.=
-has nukes, will probably survive WW3, not sure about Australia though...

Cons:
-air quality
-noise pollution
-lack of medicare
-lots of HW in school but that doesn't really apply to you anymore
-you look like everyone else
-hard to find jobs, competition much higher
-stuck in apartments forever...unless you're uber rich
-all you're money get owned by exchange rate :(
Another con:
-you can't access Facebook and Youtube in China

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
In regards to the OP ...

I'm the same race (Asian but Korean though) Same age. Stuck in the same situation as you. Sucks major dick.

I just wanna start by saying our parents came to Australia for a reason. So that we may have 'better opportunities' than they had when they were growing up, dirt poor from wars and other internal conflicts such as recessions, famine but wait ... fast foward 20-30 years and we can see that our parents' homelands of the past have advanced rapidly - socially, economically and politically to become pretty much on par to the quality of life we enjoy in Australia i.e. Taiwan, South Korea, China, Japan just to name a few.

Don't go because there's no Medicare and other benefits offered in Australia? Its true that we may take it for granted and that in other nations the term 'public healthcare' doesn't even exist but people still live well, heck Asia has better medical facilities than Australia. At least there's no problems of hospital bed shortages in Korea haha.

Also, I recently visited Korea where I was surrounded by people of the same face, same speaking language, colour etc and for some odd reason eventhough I lived in Australia, a multicultural and vibrant nation, my country of birth - I felt completely at home. Mind you it was over 10+ years since I last visited so its not like I already knew the place already lol.

Its cool how you notice when in Asia you are the majority and NOT the minority. With that in mind you don't have to worry about like how you mentioned 'racist' remarks from idiots but I never did anyway cus I got selective hearing LMAO so yea either way it was the same for me.

Its a strange predicament to be in but what can we do cause we're 1.5 generation Asian Australians stuck between two cultures and two different lifestyles. I agree with the other posters to weigh out your PROs and CONs. I ultimately decided that I wanted to work overseas such as Hong Kong, New York, Seoul or Singapore for maybe 3-5 years at most after graduating from Uni before coming to Australia to settle down, keep working and retire maybe start a family lol that's too far in the future. Things can change at any point in time.

You still gotta remember Australia is your country of birth and its where you spent most of your life. The future can always change so mind that too. Don't bother planning too much ahead as well cus then you just end up confused even more and fall into a deep abyss of depression haha or maybe that's just me :S

Well hope this kind of helped coming from someone that's in the same boat as you. Remember there's probably thousands of people like us so talk it up with others.

Hello, I'm Korean also! Hi-5 and I'm in Seoul atm on holiday!

What you articulated is very true. My parents came here since Australia was a' land of oppurtunity' in comparison to post war-torn Korea at the time, Although Korea is a very beautiful nation at the moment and I would love to live their later on if I retire possibly. However, Australia is been very good for my parents since they have had the oppurtunity to make their own business, buy their own home and enjoy an array of leisures which in Korea at the moment it would be virtually impossible due to difficulty of living. (Korea is terrible to earn money and to live at such a young age- World's most working hours, wages are very low in comparison to Australia, living expenses are pretty expensive except rent is one of the most cheapest in the modern world)

Australia is beautiful because it offers such a good educational system and it's way more leanient/successful/efficient if we compare it to China/Korea. Also the government is very kind here and I love being a citizen myself :p. The government is not very so generous in our north eastern Asian nations.

@OP, we all often get racist remarks from people but it's only a minority of the population, it's an daily thing you have to deal with. Most people in Australia are beautifully nice and very generous well especially in Sydney. I find racism a very minimal issue, well because I live near Strathfield a very predominant suburb of Asians/migrants.

However if i head out to rural Australia I do encounter a few issues but nevertheless i couldn't give a shit :).

Korea is beautiful however I just find it hard to deal with since i'm use to the serene environment of Australia. Not use to the 24/7 lifestyle of Koreans, the technology flashing everywhere and the very very rapid environment.

zhiying

HSC
^True forgot about FB and youtube, but in their defense, they don't really need it. With 1bil people they got their own social network and video sharing. FB and youtube is just big in western countries haha

HSC
Uni Grad
hahah fucking what is wrong with you

are you a socially retarded aspie or what (srs)

also chinese people have aids

HSC
Uni Grad
This is how I even had the chance to do actuarial. If that didn't happen, god who knows where I will be.
lol typical asian

there are so many things to do in life besides studying all day in a basement okay gosh

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
stop generalizing Asian parents. They want their children to do well so that they can have better lives than they did, not necessarily because their parents did shit, but for their own good.

I.e. take my parents for example. They have studied university in China (much much harder to get in than Australia). They still want me to do well and try to make me study and such, mostly because they want me to be more secure and stable. This is how I even had the chance to do actuarial. If that didn't happen, god who knows where I will be.
"Stop generalising asian parents"

*generalises asian parents*

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I don't understand how anyone can actually be offended by something as moronic as racism

I understand that it marginalises you a bit, sure, that makes complete sense but come on

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Don't go back to China it is a cesspool, use your knowledge of Chinese (assuming you have it) to get yourself a leg up in some sort of industry, might be able to get some international work to China and what not since they won't have to train anyone to speak/write the language

Gangstar1

HSC
In regards to the OP ...

Wow you completely wrote what i was thinking, I'm still kinda mixed about moving or not to me the pro equal the cons both are same especially when i consider family or friends.

HSC
Uni Grad
Another con:
-you can't access Facebook and Youtube in China
There's always proxy programs that you can use to bypass the great firewall of china.

lol typical asian

there are so many things to do in life besides studying all day in a basement okay gosh
like I didn't know that already

"Stop generalising asian parents"

*generalises asian parents*
m8

Go to China. You belong there.
inafterlonelywolf comes in

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
one reason why you shouldn't move there: it's a fucking authoritarian shithole.

/thread

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
It's not that bad once you're actually in the country, just as long as you're not doing the wrong thing.
^This is true I been in China for 2 weeks, it's quite different from what people say "authoritarian shithole" etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)