Most popular/successful television show of the last two decades (i.e. since 1985)? (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
So what do you think is the most popular/successful television show all around the world since about 1985? I don't want you say what your favourite show was but what the majority of the world in general thought was:).

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I'm thinking probably a sitcom in particular Seinfeld or Cheers or otherwise The Simpsons. Would'nt have a clue though.

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
I remember hearing a little while back that Baywatch gets a massive amount of viewers worldwide even today?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i dunno if they are but i loved melrose place and beverly hills 90210
90210 was pretty famous i remember

Lorie

HSC
It would have to close between Seinfeld and the simpsons. Both were on (and still on) for quite some time, and have a huge following.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Trigger189 said:
I remember hearing a little while back that Baywatch gets a massive amount of viewers worldwide even today?
yeah i think baywatch WAS the most viewed show... not sure about now though

seinfeld & simpsons'd be up there

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
i know that bold and the beautiful is the most watched show in the world.......it took over from baywatch in the late 90s, so probably those two.

Althea

I'd have to say the Simpsons... only because I think that worldwide, that has been one of the most consistently popular shows - and it still is successfully popular today. I don't know of any others that have had a strong following from '85... I wasn't born yet :eek:.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Along with the others, I'd go Seinfeld, the Simpsons, but I would also add Friends

ThePix

wouldnt it be the simpsons?

keep in mind that it had a more universal appeal and i can garentee that more kids aged 3 to 12 would hav watched the simpsons over seinfeld

none the less both great shows

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Did a quick google search, didnt really read the article much. This is in reference to Baywatch, but I'm not sure how old the article is:

"Baywatch remains the number one syndicated television show in the world. The nine-year old show has an audience of one billion viewers in 148 countries world-wide. It is translated into 41 languages."

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
pppffttt. it didnt need to be translated into different languages, bouncing tits care not for language

Silverstone

Obey, The Law.
HSC
The most sucessful thing on television right now is CSI. Around the world its the highest rating show, and is also in Australia - doing just as well.

Silverstone

Obey, The Law.
HSC
Trigger189 said:
Did a quick google search, didnt really read the article much. This is in reference to Baywatch, but I'm not sure how old the article is:

"Baywatch remains the number one syndicated television show in the world. The nine-year old show has an audience of one billion viewers in 148 countries world-wide. It is translated into 41 languages."

I totally agree, i personally didnt like this show - but it peaked like you wouldnt believe when there was Yasmine Bleeth, Pamela Anderson, et al.

Btw - That statistic only refers to Syndicated shows - thats shows that have finished their season run, and go on the Syndication channel for repeats. :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Yeah, I'm not going to go with statistics but The Simpsons, Seinfeld and Friends would have to be up there alongside Cheers.

Other personal notables include (based on the fact a show must be popular to been main stream ridiculed and parodised)
- Fullhouse
- Party of Five
- Dawson's Creek
- Melrose Place
- Sesame Street
- Baywatch

And if we talked about all time shows... there's only one answer

Dr Who.

Silverstone

Obey, The Law.
HSC
Actually, 'Sesame Street' is the most sucessful and influential series of ALL TIME.

Based on its effect and ground breaking nature alone, i call it the greatest. Period.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)