• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Most over rated movie (1 Viewer)

spiny norman

HSC
Bunny04 said:
lA speilberg movie... pft, i mean what Speilberg movies have been truly 'good'.
Jaws, Close Encounters, Indiana Jones, E.T., Schindler's List (though I saw some debate there).

On a related note, though:

Saving Private Ryan was terrible, and my pick for most overrated movie ever. Or at least the past ten years.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
The most overrated of them all is definitely Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

gothicretaliate said:
King Kong. Everyone knows the story. It's been done before. Just because you slap a abominably large amount of CGI, doesn't mean its worthy of viewing, not to mention a portion of my allowance towards the box office.

Cute monkey man, pointless movie.
Ahh.. another King Kong hater. I'm really surprised. I thought it'd be the kind of movie that almost everyone would enjoy- it works on a surprising amount of levels. I suggest you give it another go sometime with a more open mind :)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
DrownTheCrow said:
i used to think mystic river was the most over rated movie
Right wing Clint Eastwood crap. I refuse to watch his movies anymore. The 'hero' in this movie is an irrational murderer who kills his innocent friend in cold blood. How the fuck is that kind of person a hero? But I guess the director thought it was alright because revenge and vigilante justice is justified even if an innocent person dies. Good work!

spiny norman

HSC
erawamai said:
Right wing Clint Eastwood crap. I refuse to watch his movies anymore. The 'hero' in this movie is an irrational murderer who kills his innocent friend in cold blood. How the fuck is that kind of person a hero? But I guess the director thought it was alright because revenge and vigilante justice is justified even if an innocent person dies. Good work!
You know there was also a novel? And a script? But you blame Eastwood instead? I agree, though, it was a really good movie until the ridiculous ending (not at all helped by Penn's acting - if this thread was Most Overrated Actor he'd be my pick, followed by Denzel).

Still, if you want to deprive yourself from The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby go ahead.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
spiny norman said:
You know there was also a novel? And a script? But you blame Eastwood instead? I agree, though, it was a really good movie until the ridiculous ending (not at all helped by Penn's acting - if this thread was Most Overrated Actor he'd be my pick, followed by Denzel).

Still, if you want to deprive yourself from The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby go ahead.
The director makes the film. And yes Penn is the biggest over actor, he aint subtle at all. IMO.

Million dollar baby and unforgiven are not my favs either.

spiny norman

HSC
Though you could hardly claim Million Dollar Baby and Unforgiven right-wing? Even Mystic River's supposed meaning was about the cycle of violence and violence begetting violence and whatnot (so I've heard - it failed to demonstrate that on the film though). I realise Eastwood was once a Republican governor, but he's since switched to the Libertarian Party. I do not think he is socially a conservative, and I think his greater films display this.

Also - why did you not like Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby? I felt both were excellent.

walrusbear

HSC
you could argue that million dollar baby has a reactionary streak, what with how the most of the lower class is represented (those that aren't aspirational anyways ;P)

clint eastwood often has a hilarious right wing social agenda, but that's half his charm for me
check out the majority of the dirty harry movies :p

gotta love some of his western outputs - esp. the sergio leone stuff

oh yeah, and in ref to taxi driver, whoever said it had a small climax is a fool! definitely not an overrated movie imo. especially in light of 90s-00s movies, ala lotr and schindler's list etc.

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
omg just watched deer hunter cos all these critics keep saying how good it is...it was the biggest waste of 2.5 hrs EVER!! wtf i would rather watch crappy midday movies on channel 7 then go through this crap. i kept watching thinking that oh something or some scene would be good..then it got to the credits then ..seriously .the credits were better then the actual movie..after watching that movie...looking at scrolling words was bearable...most over rated movie EVER!!...i would like to thank pro-critics and the director for ruining 2.5 hrs of my life..i have yet to see a shitter film..ffs i wouldve watched ballet instead of this!!!

walrusbear

HSC
i agree
deer hunter seems overlong and short on something

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I really like The Deer Hunter. I know it has a really slow build up, but man...that last scene with DeNiro and Walken :(

ediisjoz

HSC
gayness

King Kong.. i saw it today .. 3 hours wasted on crap.. i don't even know why i saw it..... talk about crap movie.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I really enjoyed the last 45 minutes or so of The Deer Hunter. Unfortunately the first hour and a half were rather tedious. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I empathised more with the characters. Cimino spent a heck of a long time trying to flesh this out, but it just didn't click for me.

spiny norman

HSC
Enoch said:
omg just watched deer hunter cos all these critics keep saying how good it is...it was the biggest waste of 2.5 hrs EVER!! wtf i would rather watch crappy midday movies on channel 7 then go through this crap. i kept watching thinking that oh something or some scene would be good..then it got to the credits then ..seriously .the credits were better then the actual movie..after watching that movie...looking at scrolling words was bearable...most over rated movie EVER!!...i would like to thank pro-critics and the director for ruining 2.5 hrs of my life..i have yet to see a shitter film..ffs i wouldve watched ballet instead of this!!!
I bought The Deer Hunter today. It's three hours, not 2.5

You're insane if you consider this the shittest movie you've ever seen. Unles you've only seen The Godfather, Casablanca and Citizen Kane in your life.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
spiny norman said:
I bought The Deer Hunter today. It's three hours, not 2.5

You're insane if you consider this the shittest movie you've ever seen. Unles you've only seen The Godfather, Casablanca and Citizen Kane in your life.
The Godfather was pedestrian at best :rolleyes:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Lord of the Rings, The Godfather, Saving Private Ryan (this is the worst!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)