more important - rank or mark?? (1 Viewer)

jortari

jumanji!
HSC
Hi guys
sorry if this is a stupid question
but what is more important overall for your HSC?
Mark or rank?
thank you :)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
rank, really kujah?

what if i get first in all my courses are average 59%

or

rank 20-30/100 for all my courses and average 90%.

which would be better?
cause the second scenario is like Jame ruse and sydney boys/girls.

RedZenith

HSC
r u talking about rank in the whole state or rank in your school? In the former obviously rank, in the latter depends what school u go to

gm.haider3000

HSC
jortari said:
Hi guys
sorry if this is a stupid question
but what is more important overall for your HSC?
Mark or rank?
thank you :)
hey.. you mark is more important screw your rank.. rank is notthing .. don't ever compare your rank with your class thats notthing .. because your competiting against the whole state.. soo what if you came first with a mark of 96% other people in the other school in the same subject might get higher than yours.. as they say 50% of your school work and 50% of the HSC exam .. If I were you try to get 90% in all your subjects and from those 90%.. 50% of your school work would be a piece of cake Hmmmmmmm.. Rank is notthing Mark is Something ...

Knowingnothing

Legendary!
HSC
Obviously mark is very important but rank should just be used as a general idea of how you're doing. Anything under 80 (Band 5) and being ranked first isn't exactly something you would pride yourself over.

Don't pride yourself on rank. You could get getting 60% and coming first...so? Best possible thing you can do is score the highest mark possible.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
rank, really kujah?

or

which would be better?
Even though both are important, ranks are much more significant. The moderating and aligning process is sued to ensure that each student in NSW will get the results appropriate to them. Even if you get 59% but come first, and do really well in the external exams, that shows the general trend that the tasks that your school set was difficult. Then the aligning will put your assessment mark up.

If marks were important, there'd be huge differences around the state. Each school sets tests that vary in difficulty. Some may be easy, and some may be hard.
By ensuring that marks are aligned through the BoS, everyone gets a best outcome.

N

noir.

Your rank is the only thing that is important. Your internal marks do not necessarily highlight your strengths and weaknesses, and they're not a good way of comparing you to the state which is why they do not contribute to your final marks.

You can't really say that it's better to be coming 22/24 for example with an average of 85%. Your tests may be easy, or your cohort may be strong. It's the same deal with awesome ranks and poor marks - the assessments may be hard, the marking harsh...

Your ranking however, isn't as important if you attend a top-ranked school, or belong to a strong cohort.

nahtee

HSC
Ranks are significantly more important,especially with your internal marks as your HSC/internal mark scaling is reliant on your rank. And to whoever wrote above that if you are ranked 1 and getting under 80% its not great, well, some selective schools mark incredibly hard and your mark is really not indicative of your overall success.someone achieving an 80% in a selective/strong school could easily score better in the HSC in comparison to someone getting 100% in non-selective/weaker school. However it really just depends on your cohort/school/level of assement difficulty and average UAI. so best advice is just to do your best and try to attain a good mark and rank :)

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
gm.haider3000 said:
hey.. you mark is more important screw your rank.. rank is notthing .. don't ever compare your rank with your class thats notthing .. because your competiting against the whole state.. soo what if you came first with a mark of 96% other people in the other school in the same subject might get higher than yours.. as they say 50% of your school work and 50% of the HSC exam .. If I were you try to get 90% in all your subjects and from those 90%.. 50% of your school work would be a piece of cake Hmmmmmmm.. Rank is notthing Mark is Something ...
You're an idiot. Ranks are EVERYTHING in the HSC.

Your school does NOT give in marks to the Board of Studies, they only give your ranks. Giving in marks is plainly retarded, as one school can have a hard exam, but another can have an easy exam, which mediates and just stuffs up everything.

Scenario?

1. James Ruse has a fuck hard test, top mark was 40% (for example) and he/she is ranked first.
2. Some public school has an easy test, top mark is 94%, but if the James Ruse person did the exam, he/she would ace it.

Now, would marks be fair in this situation? All schools haev different exams, teachers normally buy papers, but they buy questions, and rarely use a whole paper. Hence, ranks are all that matters in the HSC.

The only time marks matter is during the external HSC exam, where you'd want your grade to do the best they can as a whole in order to drag your mark up.

I'll give you another scenario -

Say, I'm coming 30/100 for all my subjects (I'm in a Selective school), but another guy is coming 1/100 for all his subjects in a not-so-smart school.

Say, I beat the guy if I went to his school, but tell me - would it be fair if he beats me in the HSC solely because his school is stupid? No, it wouldn't be.

That's why they mediate your marks, they check how your school goes as a whole to test how "hard" it is to get first place, and they push you up according to your schools performance. I mean, it's shit easy to get first rank if in an easy test the average is 30% while you maintain 80%+.

Marks are nothing, its all ranks ranks ranks. Don't get too consumed on figures, marks are nothing, I learnt this the hard way.

Last term (year 11) I got 92% in my 2unit exam, wow good mark yes? No, it wasn't, I came 40th/160.

The only thing I can imagine marks to have a huge role in is say, an exam weighting 15% and you get 50%. "Overall" your 50% will contribute 7% to your assessment internal marks, but in the end, your school hands in ranks, not marks.

MARKS ARE LE NOTHING. (not really, theyre just not as important as ranks)

Knowingnothing said:
Don't pride yourself on rank. You could get getting 60% and coming first...so? Best possible thing you can do is score the highest mark possible.
Try doing a Catholic Paper (CSSA) for 3/4 unit and getting 60%, that's a respectable mark.
Some exams are designed to be VERY hard, teacher told me one year Physics only had an average of 50-60 (forgot waht year) and 85 was the top mark.

I won't point out the irony in your name :D

Last edited:

Evergreen

HSC
In the end ranks is the only thing important. but for now the gap between the marks are important because someone ranked lower than you can catch up, especially when they beat u in the more weighted tests... if you get what i mean

bored of sc

HSC
> mark for personal goals

> rank for university/further education (UAI)

i believe its not everything to have a good rank, if you meet your personal goal of marks then you may not care and/or need to know your rank/UAI

that's my opinion and I know all of you disagree but oh well!

HSC
Your school does NOT give in marks to the Board of Studies, they only give your ranks.
actually they do give marks in. ranks themselves are meaningless if they aren't supported with an indication of how wide the gap is between people. otherwise BoS would have to assume that there is an equal gap between everyone.

the marks that are given in by your school are moderated after your external exam, taking into account ranks of exam, the performance of the school on a whole (if your school improves on internals those internal marks are moderated up, and down if not). eh read up on moderation if you don't understand that.

but yeah point is ranks are much more important.

HSC
risole91 said:
rank, really kujah?

or

which would be better?
it would depend on how you go in the external.

if the person who averaged 59% and came first went out and blitzed the external and got 100 their exam mark would be 100, their internal would get moderated to 100 and hence you would get a mark of 100. so they are in a better position to get 100.

the second scenario isn't a bad one to be in either since those schools are among the best in the state so most of the students will be very high anyway.

the second scenario is a good indication you're a good student finishing among the best of the best students in the state (who generally set harder tests), while the first scenario would depend on the difficulty of exams set

only way to compare is final exam really.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Last term (year 11) I got 92% in my 2unit exam, wow good mark yes? No, it wasn't, I came 40th/160.
O___O That just says it all.

ccc123

HSC
tommykins said:
Hmm true. It can happen the other way around as well. In one legal exam, I was 1/65 with a mark of 83.

Ultimately, both the rank and the mark need to be considered in the context of the cohort's capability, the difficulty of the exam and marking, and the school.
Who cares, all assessment marks are modified by BOS anyway.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
watatank said:
actually they do give marks in. ranks themselves are meaningless if they aren't supported with an indication of how wide the gap is between people. otherwise BoS would have to assume that there is an equal gap between everyone.

the marks that are given in by your school are moderated after your external exam, taking into account ranks of exam, the performance of the school on a whole (if your school improves on internals those internal marks are moderated up, and down if not). eh read up on moderation if you don't understand that.

but yeah point is ranks are much more important.
Yes, but what I was getting at was that they ultimately take your rank into account to mediate, not so much as your marks.

I reckon just do the best you can for every assessment you get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)