• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Money and relationships (2 Viewers)

Safiya

As Shadows Fall
HSC
ok if I worked I'd definitely pay my share. I really don't like guys paying for me... or opening doors (AM I SO UNCAPABLE OF OPENING A DOOR!!!)... but atm my bf pays for me... in uni and unemployed :(

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
that's a stupid argument, "i can open doors myself", would you rather we walked through the door and let it bang on your face. it's just a matter of politeness, i hold the door open for anyone if i walk through it first.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
johnson said:
that's a stupid argument, "i can open doors myself", would you rather we walked through the door and let it bang on your face. it's just a matter of politeness, i hold the door open for anyone if i walk through it first.
exactly, its being polite.
I also hold the door open for other people, if I'm going in and out of somewhere.

Paroissien

HSC
johnson said:
Out-dated form of politeness in my opinion. Feminism killed any real hold gentlemenly conduct had, at least in my mind. Or that might just be because I'm cheap

Safiya

As Shadows Fall
HSC
i'm not talking about like walking through a shop and holkding the door open so another can go past... thats fine... im more talking about opening car doors etc...

eternity_

see now if the tradition was the other way around.. ie girls had to pay for guys.. most girls out there will be already crying and sayin 'this thread is sexest' or something.. girls just winge about everything..

and also if u pay for a girl because u expect her to 'put out' later on.. its kinda like protitution.. except ur not giving her money.. but your buying her food and movie tickets for sex.. :p

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
ah ok steph- but then how many girls still expect guys to pay? and/or u dont mind but really like it if he does?

whenever i go out i offer to pay, but usualy just end up splitting it- but there is still those old manners in me somewhere
Well I wouldn't expect it.. but that's why I'm asking these questions! In the past I've always paid my share and if they were opposed to it, I'd argue and win. I don't particularly care that he pays, he just doesn't give me any choice.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
I prefer it when the guy pays, but I am more than happy to split the bill. I think guys should open doors. Whatever happened to good old fashioned curtesy here?!?!?

....................Of course, if I was walking in front....I would open the door however, and let the guy through. I mean, it would be a bit weird walking up to the door, and just waiting for him to open it. It should happen naturally.

But If I'm going out with friends somebody usually pays, and then we split the bill 3 or 4 ways (depends on who's there) regardless of who ate what. But we pay each other back when we get out of the resteraunt. Especially at Chinese resteraunts. It's impolite to split the bill at one of those places.

aimstar555

HSC
when i started goin out with my boy, he paid for almost everything, but now it's either we spilt the bill or he pays for somthing and i'll pay next time for the next thing. either way, ya should keep it as even as possible :)

santaslayer

HSC
We usually split most things "major"...
I would make an effort to maybe buy her popcorn and coke when we're at the movies or whateva. :p..but that's about it....i don't pay for huge things....just little stuff...drinks, snacks...happycup/easyway...whateva..

coz she thinks she can be independent ...and she probably can...

so i reckon im pretty lucky...:D

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
every time i have gone out with a guy they insisted on paying for everything. so i just let them the first couple of times and then i just push ahead of them in the line and pay first

Keen

MD
HSC
I don't think a guy should really pay for the girl in most circumstances(yes I'm a guy and I'm still scared for having to pay $20 for two drinks). But overall I don't think it sends out the best message to the girl, it's really a pansy effort to get a girl to like you, but I guess it can be more appropriate and a bit romantic at times. But seriously how many girls like a guy more because he paid for her drink or dinner.

Keen

inasero

Reborn
HSC
llamalope said:
I prefer it when the guy pays, but I am more than happy to split the bill. I think guys should open doors. Whatever happened to good old fashioned curtesy here?!?!?

....................Of course, if I was walking in front....I would open the door however, and let the guy through. I mean, it would be a bit weird walking up to the door, and just waiting for him to open it. It should happen naturally.

But If I'm going out with friends somebody usually pays, and then we split the bill 3 or 4 ways (depends on who's there) regardless of who ate what. But we pay each other back when we get out of the resteraunt. Especially at Chinese resteraunts. It's impolite to split the bill at one of those places.
WTF? You are one misguided sexist. Don't come whinging when your future husband expects you to clean and cook just because it's customary.

Yes I am a guy. I'm not tight but I hate it when girls have that kind of attitude that guys should show deference and dish out all the time in dates. If a girl asked me to do that I'd tell her to shove it. Ideally, the couple should spend equally for each other.

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
My boyfriend and i fight all the time about money because i want to pay for him AND me sometimes and he always wants to pay for both of us even when ive been working and he hasn't. And if he doesnt have money he refuses to go out cos he doesnt want me to shell out any money at all and I think that is just taking it to far. :(

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
i usually pay, but only for the first few dates, then we start splitting bills

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
dont girls expect guys to pay for them though?? thats wat i've thought all this time?? when i go out on a date or something i feel as if i HAVE to pay for the girl?? otherwise i'd feel extremely guilty.

the thing is, after you've paid for them at different places, how do you start splitting it? lol you cant really just tell the girl "let's split it from now on".. or can u?

AND OH MY DEAR LORD ITS HAILING!!

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I make girls pay for me. The plessure of my company is worth more then 10 meals, so It's the least they could do.

slip

HSC
Safiya said:
i'm not talking about like walking through a shop and holkding the door open so another can go past... thats fine... im more talking about opening car doors etc...
when i drive people places i dunno if i should unlock there door first if we get in at the same time. its not a problem if you have central locking, but i dont. So anyway last year i opened the door for this girl i was after, cause i didnt wanna be rude and open mine first then reach accross and open hers. Anyway i got in trouble from her.

I think times like that for cars its ok to open the door.

thats my story. just wanted to share

Crowie

HSC
N/A
if ur driving just put the child lock on the girls door so if u wanna open it 4 them they cant get away lol
i fink with paying i buy my gf lil things like if she wants a drink and im getting sumfin i will get hers 2 i hav 2 see about wat happens at dinner but i dont mind paying 4 her its just being the gentleman like ladies first thru the door or wen u walking em sumplace u carry there books or wateva they holding 4 em if they want

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)