Module B Hate Thread (1 Viewer)

Jacko32

HSC
N/A
Re: Module B - too specific?

It was too specific for those people who didn't study the last part of the play. I could relate it because I did have a general idea about what the last scenes were trying convey...and then I just linked it to my theme study. So I think I either did alright, or well.

I did the same, we only studied specific scenes in class and we did not focus on the last part (regret that the teacher didn't do it now)

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
lol, and what text did you do? you try studying eight speeches, some of which go over 10 pages, that do not all have a central theme or message to link them together, and know enough about them all to make 'detailed reference' to the entirety of the speech. that is not what we were prepared for at all.. infact our teachers- and hsc markers at english lectures for that matter- told us to only learn 2-3 speeches in depth as that is all we'd need to write about.. so yes, we do have the right to complain.
Same deal with George Orwell's essays.
I mean, they were easier to link, but our teacher said to probably learn 2 really well and a 3rd if necessary.
It was luck.
(That said, there was an exert given so I was able to BS/analyse enough)

Last edited:

uirate

HSC
lol, sore losers ITT. EVERYONE was in the same boat.. whether you did Gwen Harwood's poetry or the speeches, we ALL had to analyse a SPECIFIC poem/speech. If this question disadvantaged one group of people, i would understand all the bitching going on.. but it really doesn't. The bored found a way to screw over people who solely rely on a prepared and memorised response.. bl if that was you. Luckily for me, The Violets had been a poem i chose to memorise :)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
lol, and what text did you do? you try studying eight speeches, some of which go over 10 pages, that do not all have a central theme or message to link them together, and know enough about them all to make 'detailed reference' to the entirety of the speech. that is not what we were prepared for at all.. infact our teachers- and hsc markers at english lectures for that matter- told us to only learn 2-3 speeches in depth as that is all we'd need to write about.. so yes, we do have the right to complain.
8x10=80 pages. Hamlet is far more than that, and so are many other of the module b texts. Furthermore, Hamlet doesn't have a central theme either but about 5-6 main ones you need to know quotes for. SO no offence, but you weren't so specially disadvantaged.

michaeljennings

HSC
Why were we asked to explain how the ending of the house arrest lady's speech informed our judgement of any of the 6 unrelated speeches? I also did not know where this lady's last name began so instead of using her last name every time I mentioned her I had to use her full name. I hate her parents =/

HSC
Uni Grad
This is how I imagine the BOS right now:

Now I'm thinking of what they could really do for the upcoming maths exams. I'm hoping they don't throw something very terrible like some of the past HSC questions beyond the 1990s =_=

sophielee169

HSC
8x10=80 pages. Hamlet is far more than that, and so are many other of the module b texts. Furthermore, Hamlet doesn't have a central theme either but about 5-6 main ones you need to know quotes for. SO no offence, but you weren't so specially disadvantaged.
haha youve got to be kidding? hamlet is one text. there is a story line that im sure if its anything like any of Shakespeare's other plays has central themes and messages in which he aims to convey through his writing.. i too studied shakespeare for conflicing perspectives and let me tell you, if they had given an extract on the final lines of the play with the same question it would have been 100x easier. the speeches have no central meaning throughout or link at all. yes it is possible to synthesise a couple of them together, but not all. its alot easier to remembering information regarding one text as it clearly all ties in together. a composer doesnt write a text thats disconnected, where one scene doesnt relate to the next. the point is for it to flow, therefore making it easier. for the people who did speeches and essays it was a great disadvantage. atleast with skrzynecki's poems in belonging the central meaning and themes ran throughout all of the 7 or so poems, ie it was surrounding the hardships of migration. to be honest if you cant see the central theme in a text you studied that consists of ONE TEXT, NOT EIGHT THAT DONT RELATE, pretty sure you failed the course lol

sophielee169

HSC
Why were we asked to explain how the ending of the house arrest lady's speech informed our judgement of any of the 6 unrelated speeches? I also did not know where this lady's last name began so instead of using her last name every time I mentioned her I had to use her full name. I hate her parents =/

sooooo crap, right?

FTW

HSC
haha youve got to be kidding? Hamlet is one text. There is a story line that im sure if its anything like any of shakespeare's other plays has central themes and messages in which he aims to convey through his writing.. I too studied shakespeare for conflicing perspectives and let me tell you, if they had given an extract on the final lines of the play with the same question it would have been 100x easier. The speeches have no central meaning throughout or link at all. Yes it is possible to synthesise a couple of them together, but not all. Its alot easier to remembering information regarding one text as it clearly all ties in together. A composer doesnt write a text thats disconnected, where one scene doesnt relate to the next. The point is for it to flow, therefore making it easier. For the people who did speeches and essays it was a great disadvantage. Atleast with skrzynecki's poems in belonging the central meaning and themes ran throughout all of the 7 or so poems, ie it was surrounding the hardships of migration. To be honest if you cant see the central theme in a text you studied that consists of one text, not eight that dont relate, pretty sure you failed the course lol
oh my god thank you!!!!!! This is exactly how i feel!!!

Glorious

HSC
i know =( I didnt know what to do so I just wrote more on Mod A and Mod C and only wrote an intro on Mod B =(
Damn! :( you could have written something you knew and SOMEHOW tied it? Even if it was regurgitating info, maybe you'd be able to pick up SOME marks?

HSC
haha youve got to be kidding? hamlet is one text. there is a story line that im sure if its anything like any of Shakespeare's other plays has central themes and messages in which he aims to convey through his writing.. i too studied shakespeare for conflicing perspectives and let me tell you, if they had given an extract on the final lines of the play with the same question it would have been 100x easier. the speeches have no central meaning throughout or link at all. yes it is possible to synthesise a couple of them together, but not all. its alot easier to remembering information regarding one text as it clearly all ties in together. a composer doesnt write a text thats disconnected, where one scene doesnt relate to the next. the point is for it to flow, therefore making it easier. for the people who did speeches and essays it was a great disadvantage. atleast with skrzynecki's poems in belonging the central meaning and themes ran throughout all of the 7 or so poems, ie it was surrounding the hardships of migration. to be honest if you cant see the central theme in a text you studied that consists of ONE TEXT, NOT EIGHT THAT DONT RELATE, pretty sure you failed the course lol
Hamlet is fucking confusing bro - there are SO MANY ways you can interpret the play because Shakespeare basically leaves the whole play open-ended. The extract itself could have meant two different things - the moral elevation of Hamlet or the irony of Hamlet's moral deterioration by the end of the play. The play contradicts itself; every time you try and argue something there is SOMETHING afterwards that completely shatters your thesis. I understand that speeches and essays are hard since they are disjointed texts, but Hamlet is fucking hard as well. And there is just some much material to work with - 5 acts, it's like 4 hours when played on stage. And there are so many different angles oh my god I am so glad I am rid of that text.

abc123yoyo

HSC
For hamlet i wrote how fortinbras' description of hamlet somehow links to inaction and that fortinbras admires him calling him some "royal blah blah blah" in his attempt to fight the political corruption in denmark is that somewhat right? o_O i used the quote they gave us the whole way through

Entity

HSC
Now I'm thinking of what they could really do for the upcoming maths exams. I'm hoping they don't throw something very terrible like some of the past HSC questions beyond the 1990s =_=
Look at it this way mate, if you find it hard, so does the rest of the state. No biggie.

Glorious

HSC
Hamlet is fucking confusing bro - there are SO MANY ways you can interpret the play because Shakespeare basically leaves the whole play open-ended. The extract itself could have meant two different things - the moral elevation of Hamlet or the irony of Hamlet's moral deterioration by the end of the play. The play itself contradicts itself; every time you try and argue something there is SOMETHING afterwards that completely shatters your thesis. I understand that speeches and essays are hard since they are disjointed texts, but Hamlet is fucking hard as well.
I agree. Hamlet isn't as easy as it seems. You really need to read it deep enough to come up with something so "out there" that you can use to argue. Shakespeare leaves everything up to us - so you have to be careful with the idea of "bullshitting COMPLETELY".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)