Module B- critical readings? (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Toodulu
i was thinking of just comparing 2 readings otherwise i don't think i'd be able to handle it. so do you think i could just say, "a new critic would say blah blah blah" and then not give a quote from something? because new critics really just analyse the techniques and stuff.
I talked about 3 critics, Dryden, Johnson and Eliot - where Dryden and johnson were harsh on Donne based on their context and associated values at the time, and wheree Eliot was full of praise, again based on his values and contextual era.
I think u'd be better off quoting the critics, because it adds dynamics to your essay, and provides more evidence to your statements
such quotes as Donne's poetry "perplexes the minds of the fair sex.."
or something like: Johnson argued...that his poetry "was so imperfect"

and then later on: Eliot viewed Donne's poetry as "ingeniously streched...exercising the readers own imaginative capacity"

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yea i read your thing, you have really nice writing!
but i'm doing it like, how people would've interpreted each specific technique
and comparing the a traditional reading with a radical reading.
and i just wanted to know if i could get away with not finding a specific traditional reading.

i think you did yours with kinda like donne's purpose and then talked about different interpretations at the end. it was really good btw!

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
but i'm doing it like, how people would've interpreted each specific technique
and comparing the a traditional reading with a radical reading.
and i just wanted to know if i could get away with not finding a specific traditional reading.
yep I understand
u could get away with it, however, if I were u, i'd at least name the traditional reader, if not quote them, for the reason I said above - but thats just my opinion
ring the advice line!

oh thanks btw :)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A

i think you did yours with kinda like donne's purpose and then talked about different interpretations at the end. it was really good btw!
is it possible to get a copy of that?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by ezzy85
is it possible to get a copy of that?
check the sticky thread "My sample essays"

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
wow, i should start paying more attention. you did all my texts. thanks for that.

Gamine

A Marxist is a communist.
Look up "marxism" or "communism" on the net and you'll get stacks of stuff... Then you just have to filter through it all :sleep:
Worth it though.

callmewhatuwant

Can you apply any of these types of readings to Wild Swans? I've got a historical reading, a political reading, a feminist reading and a family saga reading. Need more? Advice?

H

hatemadsussies

How about a Marxist reading? (i.e. To 'Wild Swans') Yeah, does anyone have anything on this? Anyone from St Clare's in Taree?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)