Module B- critical readings? (1 Viewer)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
the advice line is not open today so i figured i'd ask here first. for module B, can we just say something like, "A New Critic would interpret this as blah blah blah" or would we have to name a reading?

also, for those doing Donne, which critical approach do Samuel Johnson and Helen Gardner belong to?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
hm, like you know how we have to do different readings of the text, do we have to say:
A feminist would say that this is an example of blah blah blah.

or do we have to name specifically-
Jane Smith in her critical reading "blah blah blah" interprets this poem as ... etc

does this make sense? hmm, if it doesn't i'll just delete this and ask tomorrow.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Toodulu
hm, like you know how we have to do different readings of the text, do we have to say:
A feminist would say that this is an example of blah blah blah.

or do we have to name specifically-
Jane Smith in her critical reading "blah blah blah" interprets this poem as ... etc

does this make sense? hmm, if it doesn't i'll just delete this and ask tomorrow.
you could say "a feminist would say blah blah. for example jane smith has said blah blah about donnes poetry." with most quotes, theyre not specific to donnes poems but to donne in general or to feminism. so you can quote what jane smith said about feminism or her view on marxism and then say "this is evident in donne's poem blah blah."

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
ohhhh right. so like if you're doing marxism, you could quote from different readings under that approach?
or do you mean one of those crazy critical readings that quote from everyone else and doesn't really belong under a single approach?

i was thinking of just comparing 2 readings otherwise i don't think i'd be able to handle it. so do you think i could just say, "a new critic would say blah blah blah" and then not give a quote from something? because new critics really just analyse the techniques and stuff.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A

i was thinking of just comparing 2 readings otherwise i don't think i'd be able to handle it. so do you think i could just say, "a new critic would say blah blah blah" and then not give a quote from something? because new critics really just analyse the techniques and stuff.
ive never quoted a new critic because i dont know any. but with feminism and marxism i would say "a fem would say this...because donne has excluded women". with the old critics, i would quote someone like dreyden.

ohhhh right. so like if you're doing marxism, you could quote from different readings under that approach?
or do you mean one of those crazy critical readings that quote from everyone else and doesn't really belong under a single approach?

with marxism, you could quote someones view on marxism in general and then relate that yourself to donne.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
do u have to quote the bloody critic?

wouldn't most people just make up quotes anywayz?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Quoting a critic just shows research, which is ++ :)
I would definitely look positively on a student who's bothered to look up Jane Doe, as long as it sounded pretty convincing (Jane Doe not having written any feminist readings of King Lear, to my knowledge).

By the way, you don't want a whole lot of sentences going "A feminist says such and such. A marxist, on the other hand, says such and such". Better to say "A feminist reading of this..." We're not talking about individiuals, after all. I suppose you could be very explicit and talk about certain strands of feminism though.

N

ND

I actually asked a question very similar to this yesturday. She said you could discuss it like "From a marxist context, this suggests blah bla...".

I made the mistake of discussing the readings of others in my assessment, which completely screwed my assessment ranking.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Class Teacher: a feminist would ... blah blah blah
HSC advice line: <critic name>'s feminist reading intepreted ...blah blah blah
me: nfi.

Last edited:

TastesGoodBut

lol @ john - so true especialy at our school

but yeah... quote critics i think by all means, just as long as they fit with what you are saying... instead of using you words put sumthing like "as Fiona Morrison points out, something postcolnial about cloudstreet which gets me extra marks"

dandaman

yep... definately quote critics
but remember not to get too bogged down with what they are on about it... always relate it back to DOnne or wotever ure doing in Module B

is a roflcopter
HSC
how many readings are you all planning to do?

is a roflcopter
HSC
holy fuck man

i was thinking about doing a post colonial and a traditional ....... :(

no wonder i got 12/20 for trials :D

allyteaded

I can't remember where I posted it but I asked the same question. A person suggested to ask helpline about it so I did today. Really good BTW. Try if you haven't.

She recommended that you did mention a critict. You don't have to quote them, but understand their interpretation of it. The better responses then would be able to link production interpretations to a critict's interpretations.

^_^ Ciao!

is a roflcopter
HSC
i just called the advice line
i think i learnt more about cloudstreet in the 2 minutes we chatted than the 8 weeks we spent in class :p

keldo

i've been searching for ages but does anyone know the names of any marxist critics of KIng Lear?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)