Mitsubishi Lancers... (1 Viewer)

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Mitsubishi Lancers... EDIT: I got a 96 Corolla ^_^

EDIT: I got myself a Corolla.
Manual 1996 Toyota Corolla Seca, has air con, powersteering, central locking and power mirrors. 204k kms The condition was extremely tidy. Twas $5725, bargained down to $5,500 (from $5,990) with some added tax onto it from the govt (not stamp duty). Colour is pale metallic blue.

:) Okay... I finally got my Ps! First go too ^_^ so very relieved.

Now i'm car hunting and i'm wondering if anyone here has any experience or comments in regards to:
~ 1994 Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi
or/and
~ 1992-1996 Mitsubishi Lancer series in general....

I'm going for the Lancer because I can't seem to find any $5000ish manual Corollas with air/p.steer around my area (Hunter Region + Central Coast).... and it's my first car.....

Any help would be appreciated :) I've already googled...

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Lancers are good. They'll run forever, even if your mechanic is half asleep (though don't actually try that). I drive one, my parents own one, and my sister just bought a Mirage, the little sister of the Lancer. While I don't have any experience with the cars you specifically listed, I suggest you check out the likes of CountryCars.com which should have plenty of listings.

Jiga

Yeah... some people tend to think their lancers are high performance automobiles, esp the coupe lancers. One thing I do know, make sure it has a good service history, from what Ive read, Lancers dont have a great tolerance for neglect, particularly when it comes to oil.

stephenchow

HSC
seremify007 said:
Watch out for wannabe-Evos which may have been modified to heck and thrashed like crazy... :)
It would be mostly cosmetics if they are modified in attempt to look like an evo.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
Yeah... some people tend to think their lancers are high performance automobiles, esp the coupe lancers. One thing I do know, make sure it has a good service history, from what Ive read, Lancers dont have a great tolerance for neglect, particularly when it comes to oil.
I just love to see the "High Performance (1.5L)" versions that have been cosmetically adjusted. Especially when I drive the two-litre variant of the car.

lengy

HSC
Just know that most Lancers are front wheel drive and in most cases it wont be an Evolution unless it has brake disc pads on all four wheels from what I heard. Everything else has been modified to look like a Evolution.

Jiga

^

It is possible to get a rear disc brake conversion, and its not ridiculously expensive!!! Biggest giveaway is the fact that they have like 5inch rotors as opposed to the 16inch or whatever Bremobos on Evo's... and no-one is willing to spend 5g's on getting them on a lancer, even if they have Turboed

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
have you considered a mirage instead of a lancer? theyre pretty much the same up until the rear seats... rear occupant safety isnt too hot in a mirage though

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
cuppas said:
have you considered a mirage instead of a lancer? theyre pretty much the same up until the rear seats... rear occupant safety isnt too hot in a mirage though

Thanks to everyone who replied!! Much appreciation!!

Definately considered but the following drawbacks put the Lancer in favour of the Mirage: Despite the Mirage being SUPER CUTE :(

Cost: There aren't too many in the $5000 bracket around here that include Powersteering + Airconditioning and up to my dad's standards.... believe me it's getting near ridiculous trying to find a car... under 200,000 kms, good on fuel, blah blah di blah.. plus I don't really want to go over $5000 for me first car ^_^

Location: If these kinds do exist they tend to be in Sydney, my dad doesn't wish for me to get a car in Sydney cause i'd have to drive it back from Sydney [i've never done the Sydney run myself... I really should aye...]

Size: They're just a bit too small for what driving i'll be doing, a run from my place to Newcastle say 3 times a week.... country road, to freeway, to city driving.... I do need something substantial, I encounter a bitch load of trucks each day... :(

:) But thanks anyway, I do like the Mirage!!

Last edited:

Jiga

^

A problem you will have is for around $5000 it will be hard to find decent cars under 200,000kms. And if you do, Lancers aernt the most reliable car going around, so anything over 100,000kms and even after inspecting it etc... your still just gotta hope that it lasts. Personally Id go for something with a bigger engine, usually they will last over 200,000kms... and although fuel economy wise they are a biatch, you will find alot more in the market around your price range. Just my thoughts.

Daffyflyer

HSC
N/A
Well, i can only comment on my parents car, a 1994 (I think, I know its a CC) 1.8L Manual Glxi Coupe.

Boring car rant:

Bought for about $5000 @ 140,000km

Reliablity wise its still going strong at 220,000km, no major problems, just basic servicing and a dud engine mount, just keep servicing it and it will go on for a while!

Engine (1.8L) is perky and quite powerful if you don't mind revving it a bit, can feel awfully slow if caught at low revs.

Uses about 6.8 - 8L/100km on the highway, would be about 8-9.5l/100km in town.

Gearbox is ok, but is a bitch to get into first when its cold.

Handles nicely, its good fun to chuck at a bit of twisty road :D

Fair bit of room inside, but might be cramped in the rear for taller people.

Aircon is super chilly, but really slows the car down when it kicks in (and equaly makes you instantly gain 5kph when it switches off! :p)

Ok for long trips but gets kinda noisy, fair bit of tire roar and wind noise, particularly in the back seats.

Thats about all i can think of about it, I would buy one if i were you! (I would not get an auto if i were you though *blech*)

/Boring car rant

Hope that helped and was not too boring!

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
If you drive it hard you'll kill the gaskets. The clutch has shit feel and isn't that durable. They aren't very fast but most of the drivers like to think it is.

The problem is a car that's good for a lot of highway driving (Commodores, Falcons) are big cars for the city and aren't as frugal as a Jap smallcar. On the other side of the coin a small 4 cylinder econobox isn't going to be an overtaking powerhouse machine on the Pacific Highway. You're going to have to make a compromise either way. My neighbour recently bought a vary nice condition 5-spd manual Corolla, I think about '92 with a 1.6L engine - for $2000 plus costs. To quote him: "the fuel gauge never fucking goes down." It's also alot of fun since you can rev it out to about 8000rpm comfortably. If you can find one of the 20 valve "Silvertops" you will even have respectable (for a first car) performance.

If you cover alot of highway kays a 1996ish Commodore can be found for around $5000. They're pretty much bulletproof so if you drive from Sydney to Newcastle alot it may be worth it. Remember while a Civic or Corolla is more economic in traffic once you find yourself constantly having to downshift and floor it to overtake trucks you will quickly be using alot more fuel.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
Lancers are good. They'll run forever, even if your mechanic is half asleep (though don't actually try that). I drive one, my parents own one, and my sister just bought a Mirage, the little sister of the Lancer. While I don't have any experience with the cars you specifically listed, I suggest you check out the likes of CountryCars.com which should have plenty of listings.
They really won't. Hondas and Toyotas are way, way more reliable. Like I said, if you drive them hard the Gaskets go and that's a costly problem. Especially since alot of Lancers have been owned by young men who can't afford WRXs and thrash the hell out of them.

Edit: Hell, I'd look at a Pulsar before getting a Lancer. My mate has an N14 SSS which has an SR20DE. That thing is ALOT of fun.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
^

A problem you will have is for around $5000 it will be hard to find decent cars under 200,000kms. And if you do, Lancers aernt the most reliable car going around, so anything over 100,000kms and even after inspecting it etc... your still just gotta hope that it lasts. Personally Id go for something with a bigger engine, usually they will last over 200,000kms... and although fuel economy wise they are a biatch, you will find alot more in the market around your price range. Just my thoughts.

Ehhh I'm going the Lancer CC coupe...
I'm getting it inspected by a couple of reliable people.
Even if it's not as reliable as the other cars, apparently it's still cheaper to repair than a Honda.

I can't go for a bigger engine, i'm not allowed to, as you've said they're a bitch fuel economy wise. Thanks for your thoughts, :) covered most of the ground already in regards to bigger cars... I'd also find them a bit harder to drive... i'm pretty small.

Thanks also Daffyflyer, that was really helpful on what you had to say in regards to the Lancer. I think anywell kept car can perform well. I'm not after something to be a rev head about, I just want a decent car that can stand countryroad and freeway driving.

In regards to everyones take on Corolla's, I can't find one for that price braket in this area because cars aren't as competitive in prices in regional Australia.
I won't be driving from Newcastle to Sydney either, instead i'll be driving half that distance....from myplace in Lake Macquarie to Newcastle.

Riet, some great tips there, and I have looked for the Pulsar, but again it's finding the damn thing. My father doesn't want to get Honda because it's quite expensive to repair despite having THE best reliability in the 90s range of cars.

Ahhh thanks to all yet again, such is the joy and exhaustion of finding a car.... pretty much makes me want to cry, i'm getting so frustrated.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Riet said:
Like I said, if you drive them hard the Gaskets go and that's a costly problem.
I'm avoiding buying anything driven by a young bloke.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Seriously a good idea. My neighbour knows heaps about those type of cars because he went to De La Salle Ashfield. He said Toyota>Honda>Nissan>Mitsu for reliability.

CieL

HSC
luscious-llama said:
My father doesn't want to get Honda because it's quite expensive to repair despite having THE best reliability in the 90s range of cars.
It kinda evens out..

My friend drives an european car, and I commented on how expensive they are to repair.. but he said if they're reliable, it means less repairs... on the other hand, less reliable, more repairs.. *shrugs*

Jiga

^

Yeah it just depends, like my Camry has a tranverse mounted V6... so everything costs a fortunate, like for the timing belt its$700, being mainly labor costs!!! Spark Plugs are also quite expensive to get done as they have to remove the intake manifold. But because all you need to do in these reliable cars is maintain them, they are still among the cheapest to run per km. Whereas say a Magna would be an absolute biatch, has the same expensive maintenances costs but are also unreliable requiring additional repairs.

My father doesn't want to get Honda because it's quite expensive to repair despite having THE best reliability in the 90s range of cars.
Ey THE Best reliability, Camry drivers have something to say about that! I was at another Toyota forum, mainly U.S guys who's cars expereince extremes in temp etc... they get Camrys going easily to 400,000kms with only regular maintenance (The oldest one their was like 600,000kms... no rebuild or anything)!!! Only problem is not many people maintained them properly when it comes to buying them second hand in Aus.

Last edited by a moderator:

macoboi

HSC
i drive a 1997 lancer coupe (CE for those playing along at home) and it's a great first car, i've even learnt to do most of the maintence myself, because everything is laid out so easy.

Buying a CC coupe will be similiar, but just avoid the 1.5 carby like aids.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)