• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Microsoft Office 2010 (1 Viewer)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
So all of you are probably running OpenOffice on Windows. Disable the Java Run Time Environment, it will fix pretty much all the problems you have with it. It also doesn't force you to upgrade by changing the format every time a new one is brought out.

The only reason for getting Microsoft Office is for Excel, OpenOffice Calculator does some weird things.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sometimes I like to pretend that GIMP is actually an equivalent to Photoshop hahahaha no really gtfo.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Gimp is a bitch to use but it is almost as powerful as Photoshop. Open Office is exactly like Microsoft Office, because seriously most people just use it for word and if you're paying for a word processor you need to be shot.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Gimp is a bitch to use but it is almost as powerful as Photoshop. Open Office is exactly like Microsoft Office, because seriously most people just use it for word and if you're paying for a word processor you need to be shot.
No it isn't re: GIMP.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Actually I've heard good things about LaTeX, haven't used it though.

Also AsyLum I said ALMOST not as powerful.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
No it isn't re: GIMP.
GIMP is way more powerful because of its powerful macro and scripting abilities.

Hollywood massively backs GIMP, but a lot of their imagine manip tools are secret and proprietary (Hollywood runs 100% on Linux for movie editing).

nevery

HSC
i like 07 way better, initially it seemed iffy but after you use it several times the interface and everything is really cool!
+1

Can't wait for office 2010. :)

OpenOffice, pretty good but just not the same for me. I'm a windows/microsoft guy. Tried Ubuntu...OK but I really prefer windows. Don't get me started on Mac.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
GIMP is way more powerful because of its powerful macro and scripting abilities.

Hollywood massively backs GIMP, but a lot of their imagine manip tools are secret and proprietary (Hollywood runs 100% on Linux for movie editing).
Slidey, they're two different branches, what we're discussing is Photoshop and GIMP not Film GIMP.

Photoshop IS able to work with it, but it'd be a more worthy comparison to do After Effects vs Film GIMP rather than Photoshop, as it is more of an post-processing/compilation tool for print/web rather than film (which comes with its own set of devices).

The biggest limiting factor of GIMP isn't that its open source, its that it lacks the 'print' aspect (ie CMYK) and adjustment layers, which are two essential things for anyone into serious photo-touching/manipulation of print images. Also its lack of bit-depth (8 bit compared to 16) seriously compromises it again. Until it can have those standard, it's simply an enthusiast tool.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The last time I used openoffice, it sucked butt and was buggy as shit (~2008, early 2009).

Got Office 03 from a friend and was all good.

Now I've got Office 07 with classic UI so I don't have to put up with that ribbon bs. Nothing to complain about (yet).
Oh yeah, I got it on some suss copied disc, so I never paid for anything.
I used to hate the idea of moving to Office 2007 but after using it a bit, I've found it to be the preferred option where possible especially when making client facing documents. For example, in the past we'd have to type up a report and then send it to our design team to make it remotely ready for presentation to a client however now, we can use Word templates to make them look pro without much effort (as long as we followed design styles/headings/etc).

With sites like Microsoft Office Discount for Students - It's Not Cheating, I find it very difficult to justify software piracy. It's not like MS is charging a "lot" of money for something which has a lot of features and work put into it.

As for people who proclaim OpenOffice and whatnot is superior or offers every feature which the Microsoft product offers- stats, data analysis, and add-in support is piss weak on anything outside of Microsoft's world. Yes this could change if more people used the open source stuff but I highly doubt the commercial world is willing to switch to stuff which is yet to be truly proven and has very limited support beyond online forums and whatnot.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i like 07 way better, initially it seemed iffy but after you use it several times the interface and everything is really cool!
I felt the same with Windows 7, I hated it for about 2 weeks buts it was all good after that (I moved from XP go figure)

Also I havnt noticed much difference in office 2010 than 2007.

karablack037

HSC
was the released?? Wow nice. I am keenly waiting for that. I hope having advanced features than MS 2007.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)