Messed up your HSC? Now what....? (1 Viewer)

Corruptivetaint

HSC
fugfug.jpg

So heres my marks.. Calcs estimate around the mid 50's.. which is not going to get me into teaching :(.

So i'm pretty upset and bummed about it, I studied 3-4 hours, 6 days a week since the half years (not trials) and I thought I did quite well right after the HSC but seeing this has made me feel like crap.

I really have no idea what I'm going to do, I just have a feeling I'm going to end up working 6-8 hours, 6 days a week earning like 25-30k a year for the rest of my life...
Does anyone know if there is any other pathways to get into teaching?

Anyone in the same boat?
If so, What are your plans for the future?

enoilgam

HSC
View attachment 23873

So heres my marks.. Calcs estimate around the mid 50's.. which is not going to get me into teaching :(.

So i'm pretty upset and bummed about it, I studied 3-4 hours, 6 days a week since the half years (not trials) and I thought I did quite well right after the HSC but seeing this has made me feel like crap.

I really have no idea what I'm going to do, I just have a feeling I'm going to end up working 6-8 hours, 6 days a week earning like 25-30k a year for the rest of my life...

Anyone in the same boat?
You could try an alternative entry program like UWS college, UTS insearch or Notre Dames TEP. Otherwise dont worry about it too much, this is just one small part of your life.

AlbertF

HSC
My dream was to get into B Com maj in HR (83 atar) knew I wouldnt get it so was hoping for 75 atar for just a BA in Macq. Still ended with Eng Stand: 77, Modern H: 74, Mus: 77 < FUCK YOU :'(, Spanish cont: 81, Hospo: 87. Calculates to a 66ish according to einstein, fml. Don't worry about it, there is always tafe courses, gateways are everywhere, go to a lower class uni, transfer to your dream uni anything, HSC is utter bullshit.

2011_

HSC
View attachment 23873

Anyone in the same boat?
Remember this isn't the end. As a previous poster said, there are alternative pathways. CSU, for example, has TAFE to Uni pathways so just call them or check the website of the Unis you would like to attend. Also, try calling the Uni up. Sometimes you can talk your way in the door, or they can suggest other options and pathways for you.
In any case good luck and follow your dreams :)

vemanjj

HSC
Uni Grad
theres a tonne of ways :) dont be down on yourself. if you put the effort in, which it sounds like you did, you shouldnt be disappointed. at least you did your best. there are pathways like insearch at uts and SIBT at macquarie uni, check them out :) they look good. theres always another way :)

MathsIsWeird

HSC
Well i would like to give you some advice so maybe you can avoid what has happened to me.
In short i have been trying to get into 2 courses for over 3-4 years now, i have been accepted to Usyd (85 ATAR course), Maq uni (78 ATAR course), UWS (2 courses around 65 ATAR) over the 3-4 years that i have applied to uni and decided to continue my tafe course in hopes that next year i can get into my desired course (no such like im afraid) not just a course at a good uni that i have no real interest in.
I have been trying to get into UNSW or UTS for construction however i still haven't been able to get in even after completing my cert 4 and diploma in construction with quite decent results, my advice to you is get into a uni, any uni so long as you do a full time study load and do very very well that way you can transfer after a year.
Tafe is a good option if you just want to get qualified but if there is a specific course you want to do that's at uni i suggest you transfer from one uni to another rather than trying to get in via tafe, if the course you want is pretty easy to get into say 70-80 ATAR tafe wont be so bad but 80 and up it gets very difficult to gain entrance unless you do very well at least all credits (75% and up).
Not only that Tafe use's a very poor grading scale, some classes aren't even ranked its either pass or fail (over half my classes were pass or fail criteria and i got 80's and 90's for them, in other words i didn't get distinction's on my transcript just pass's), unis hate this that's another reason why i recommend you go to uni as you will receive a GPA which will clearly show your results in a form that the uni you are applying to can relate.
Through years of rejection i have learned that its far easier to start at a crap uni then transfer rather then try and get in via tafe, this is just my opinion i believe the fact that only uts and unsw offer construction with a total intake of around 300-400 students in both uni's is what has made it so difficult for me to gain entry, it may work out differently for you depending on how many universities have a course you would like to undertake.
A few years ago someone told me i was still young when talking about going to uni, don't be fooled do what you can when you can and don't hold back (i held back).
Good luck and i hope what i have said makes sense to you and can help you in some small way.
P.s. you can do a tertiary preperation course or redo the HSC at tafe if you don't want to pay the huge sums required for uni prep courses.

Last edited:

Maximar

HSC
I will talk from my experience, so feel free to disagree if you want to because I might be a bit subjective.

The questions you should first ask yourself before thinking of anything include the following:

1) Why did you go bad in your tests?
- Lack of motivation to study?
- Struggled with the topics?
- Played games and haven't studied?
- Wasn't interested in the subjects chosen?
- Had no choice but to chose those subjects?
- Personal problems?
- Teacher wasn't helpful?

I haven't covered all the reasons why you might have went bad at school and therefore received a low ATAR. However, if one of the reasons is that you went bad due to playing alot of games instead of studying and therefore underestimated the HSC then you could probably consider repeating the HSC at TAFE as it can be the best option in my opinion. Just remember that you must really know that you can succeed, if you honestly struggled with the course then I wouldn't consider repeating the HSC. Remember that even though people repeat the HSC doesn't mean that they will necessarily do well and get into their desired university course, depending on the University. Another thing is don't think everyone at TAFE is 'dumb'. I will refer you to my experience, I repeated my HSC at TAFE but changed a few subjects compared to to highschool. My highschool is ranked in the early ~40ish in NSW. Remember it totally depends on the reason why you went bad, and after you can decide wisely. If you know you still believe you wont put 100% effort, just do a Certificate 4 or Diploma at TAFE as university might not be suited, but remember its your life so its up to you. From my personal experience is that I went on doing again 11 units. For me specifically, in my HSC after highschool I got the following results, I wont tell you my ATAR though.

Subjects/HSC Mark - Normal courses out of 100 and extension is out of 50
1) English (Adv): 75 (MEMORISE AND MASTER YOUR ESSAYS)
2) Mathematics (Adv): 92 (Natural Ability)
3) Mathematics (extension 1): 44 (Natural Ability)
4) Engineering Studies: 86 (MAKE SURE YOUR NOTES ARE WELL MADE)
5) Biology: 74 (KEEP GOING OVER YOUR NOTES AND MEMORISE THEM)
6) Physics: 90 (Always seem to perform relatively strong)

Preliminary: Business Studies (Dropped)

I am changing a few subjects (not mentioning), my real aim this time is I'm really going to put all my effort, still having about 1hr of sport each week, but not playing computer games this time by the way I don't do facebook. My aim is to get around ~86 - ~89 for English, 95+ for Mathematics, 46-47/50 for Extension 1 Mathematics, 94-96 for Physics, 93+ for Biology etc.

ATAR
Final Messages:
1) Think of the reason why you did relatively poor.
2) If repeating, MAKE SURE YOU STAY MOTIVATED!
3) CUT YOUR SOCIAL LIFE!

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me or post on this thread.
Goodluck and best wishes.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Couldn't you get into a uni course and just transfer to what you want? You probably would have gotten bonus points for your maths marks at some unis...

Kat92

HSC
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=73329

It is also depends upon whether you want to go into Primary School Teaching or High School Teaching.

As Primary school teaching usually has lower cut-offs. Although you need to meet the Mathematics and English requirements and entry is highly competitive.

Secondary teaching is less competitive. However, you need to have met the English requirements--> Although they are looking to implement maths requirements in the future.

Tafe offers some good prospects i.e. TPC or cert 4 and Diplomas from what I've heard. OR perhaps you may qualify for Newstep or Open Foundation at the Uni you wish to gain entry into.

Also, depending on how you performed and where you live, you could be entitled to some additional Bonus points.

Fret not, there are always other ways towards achieving your dreams.

Good Luck, I hope that everything works out well for you! :)

Kat92

HSC
No. Although, you could follow the OSHC pathway to get into Teaching at Uni if you wanted.

Also there are small courses that are handy for volunteers, but no direct teaching course.

In the future they are looking at implementing Higher degrees at TAFE so perhaps the OP could perhaps wait and see if teaching can be done that way.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't do as well as you had hoped in your HSC. I would advise you to contact the Course Information Line on 1300 897 669 or study@uws.edu.au to discuss alternative entry pathway options. Best regards, UWS Course Info

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)