Merlin and his Political Protest (1 Viewer)

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
With the lefties, as with the righties, it's a big competition for them "who can be more extreme!" YAY! They're all wankers.

Righties: No abortion, no rights, no sex, everyone must conform to my morals damn it or I will beat you!

Lefties: Let's sponge money off the government and see how much weed we can score and smoke with it, then sit around in a love circle and connect with our spiritual side whilst we don't exercise any sort of decorum or discipline of our urges at all! YAY!

There's a limit and generally both sides are as bad culprits as each other. It's just that the left is getting more publicity these days for all the "bad" or at least "disobedient" things they're doing from the media and the right are usually more outspoken in a different forum which is slightly more "acceptable".

Then again, would you rather a message that's right (e.g. anti-abortion or anti-sex before marriage) but done in a civil manner in the form of a formal speech or a left message such as "free the refugees" but done in a slightly more controversial forum because they don't have the access to the formal speech medium etc...?
i don't think it's that black and white...i mean if you have someone saying "fucking arabs, i wanna kill those bastards" who also protests for the right to kill native animals with automatic guns...you'd kind of consider that extremely right wing...but that person could be some dirty derelict who hasn't been married but had 6 kids and would have had 8 but he induced an abortion on his gutter girlfriend himself....and at the same time be whinging at the govt. for more civil services...= more booze. so is he left or right?

but i agree with you...i think it's best to find a happy medium...and be open to both right and left ideals...as i think both have valid points.

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
smegger_em said:
merlin's a gay dick and what he did was cliche
How can it be cliche, if it hasn't been done b4, he did because we wanted to create contraversy and raise the issue, it did as I turned up to the protest at Hyde park, if u don't like what he did and u can't give a valid reason go do something else.

chelloveck

i'm feeling fat and sassy
fenner hall. perving on mcdickpants across the roa
HSC
TheBirdMustFly said:
How can it be cliche, if it hasn't been done b4, he did because we wanted to create contraversy and raise the issue, it did as I turned up to the protest at Hyde park, if u don't like what he did and u can't give a valid reason go do something else.
um, i already did. i said that he should go help some kiddies in rwanda instead of being on some stupid commerical reality tv show and creating gimmicks to get more publicity afterwards. i'm sure the gimmick hasn't been done before, but the mentality has...the "look at me, i'm so trendy, i wear faded jeans that flair, but i'm also a left-wing political activist that cares about those poor refugees" fuck off. he's not genuine, he's just trying to acquire a certain image.

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
Have you spoken to him, no, I have, I took the effort to turn up, I got to have a chat to him and he's genuine, check out his band 'Debasa' they talk bout the issue in their songs. He spoke at world refugee day and he made valid points, you can't just say the he doesn't care until you know first hand

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
chelloveck said:
i'm sure the gimmick hasn't been done before, but the mentality has...the "look at me, i'm so trendy, i wear faded jeans that flair, but i'm also a left-wing political activist that cares about those poor refugees" fuck off. he's not genuine, he's just trying to acquire a certain image.
Before Big Brother came along, his band had done concerts that had raised thousands of dollars for the cause. And that was when he was a nobody who no one would be recognising in the street, so you couldn't really say he and his band did it for the personal acclaim. If all he wants to do is look good, he sure is dedicating a lot of time and money.
I agree that there are people who have no idea what they’re on about and just protest cos it’s a trendy thing to do, but I don’t think they would go to that extent. Someone might take up a sign and rave on about it on stage for a few minutes, but it took a lot of heart to put himself in that position sit there being openly booed, risking his prizes and dignity. It was pretty freaking clear that the audience was not exactly impressed, and he could have just as soon taken the tape off and given in if all he was concerned about was coming out looking like a hero.

But even if he is just some tool who did it to look good, I really think a lot of good has come out of it. So whether you like him or not, given the cause, I still say the event was a good thing. But personally-I think Merlin's heart was in the right place, and he is a lot braver than I will ever be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)