Merlin and his Political Protest (1 Viewer)

[trent]

HSC
For those of you who weren't watching the Big Brother eviction show on Sunday night (quite understandable), when Merlin got voted out, he placed masking tape over his mouth, held up a sign saying 'Free ta Refugees' and refused to participate in the compulsory interview with Gretal. Gretal tried her hardest to get him to talk, but in the end the show's producers cut to the housemates live, and ushered Merlin off the stage. Half the crowd were booing, the other half were cheering, but everyone went home disapointed.

I thought he could have made more of an impact on people if he explained wat/why he was protesting...just wondering wat people think of this sort of protest?

if he spoke etc..it wouldnt have caused such a big up roar... i think this way he got more attention.

I was originally pissed offf for the fact i thought it was rude..but he apologised and then donoated the car etc..so to me....i think he did it for very goood reasons......and his explation made me actually respect him a bit..

I dont agree with the cause, but i appreciate hes kindness.

I like the idea of protest and one person trying to bring about change. Most people dont bother because they think things in society are too big, but people like him make you think.......maybe its possible for one person to make a difference.

Alot of changes have taken place because one person stood up and made a stance and then others follow.

In any event it toook some balls.

btw it was so funny when pual told offf merlin..........paul kicks arse.

Last edited:

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Merlin spoke all over the radio the next day, it was meant 'ta' be a silent protest or some metaphorical meaning associated with the tape, for the lack of freedom, asylum seekers are subjugated to

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
she needs more plastic surgery :)

I thought it was pretty brave of him to actually protest in that manner. He was explaining how today in society, causing contreversy is the only way to get people's attention-which is rather true. But then again, wasnt there this claim that there are no current refugees in detention centers?

Generator

HSC
N/A
It all goes back to how you define the term 'refugee'.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh
she needs more plastic surgery :)

I thought it was pretty brave of him to actually protest in that manner. He was explaining how today in society, causing contreversy is the only way to get people's attention-which is rather true. But then again, wasnt there this claim that there are no current refugees in detention centers?
ditto!

charmed_cuties

Bubblegum girl
HSC
i reckon he did a pretty good job of making the most of his 15 minute of silent protest
hey he had a political statement to make and he was able to reach pplz by tv so since every1 was watching he got across a lot of pplz
i was reading the paper and apparently the ratings for channel 10 on monday was quite high due to Merlin's political statement "Free Ta Refugees"

lengstar

HSC
i didn't find that funny...i find it childish and moronic and reflects the person who did it

K

katie_tully

Perhaps I should specify why I think that.
Merlin has now alienated himself with alot of people, his 15 minutes of fame are now over. If he had have just left the house in a civilised mannor, he could have then used his fame to rally in a more professional mannor. More people I've spoken to think he is just an attention monger rather than a human rights activist. When he got out of the house why didn't he converse over the situation, rather than sit there like a mute with a sign that didn't even make sense? Free ta refugees?? It wasn't a silent protest, it was a highly televised publicity stunt.

lengstar

HSC
read the article in SMH before you comment further

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Originally posted by katie_tully
More people I've spoken to think he is just an attention monger rather than a human rights activist.
did u ask these ppl if they agree with merlin about the refugees? (should they be freed?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)