• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Memorizing Essays......... (1 Viewer)

Z

Zeppelin

I did it last year and it worked fine - I got 86. I got thee essays and one speech (essentially an essay with a "Thank you and good night London!"). I was lucky that the questions were pretty generic and the memorised essays worked perfectly.

However, I don't really suggest it this year, because the questions are, more than likely, to be quite specific and of a multitude of text types.

Z

Zeppelin

That may possibly be true, but I was only ever aiming for a band 5. ^_^

I remember you from this board last year. Certainly brings back memories of your own study, doesn't it? I can't believe it's a been a year already.

nwatts

HSC
Zeppelin said:
That may possibly be true, but I was only ever aiming for a band 5. ^_^

I remember you from this board last year. Certainly brings back memories of your own study, doesn't it? I can't believe it's a been a year already.
Why?

Virtually everyone is capable of band 6 results? Why not aim for the highest?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
nwatts said:
Why?

Virtually everyone is capable of band 6 results? Why not aim for the highest?
well, i can't say i agree with you there, the fact is not everyone is capable of it (hence the general bell curve of results).
My first thought was to agree with you about "aim[ing] for the highest," people should try their best...though i feel kinda hypocritical writing it seeing as i totally didn't *hangs head in eternal english shame......*

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
ujuphleg said:
I said it all throughout last year and I'll say it again. In my opinion, memorising essays is a baaaaad idea. Its a stupid thing to do - its like going into the HSC with only one pen.

Having said that though, if you are savvy enough to change that memorised essay to answer and suit the question asked, then I suppose its ok.

Your much better off writing practice essays, and remembering techniques and quotes rather than a solid essay word for word.
I plan to do that, adapt my prepared essay to the question
Its stupid just writing an essay prepared without answering the question isnt it!
Of course ill answer the question.

Z_Nizzle

HSC
silvermoon said:
but memorising is unlikely to get you a band 6, which is what i assume they're all aiming for
hmm...I do not wish to question your philosophy, because your are definitely more accomplished than me. However, I do not believe the issue is purely about memorizing, I think it is about "WHAT" we memorize, given that it is done with a little bit of thinking it can pay off. What do I mean exactly? I am glad you asked.

1. You must have a through knowledge of the text, this is essential. That means know the characters in your novel, drama or film etc etc

2. Be aware of the thematic concerns.

3. AND know your techniques.....the "how" questions.

Now for something like Module C- power play (Antony & Cleopatra)...sure prepare some generic essays...because no matter what the question will in some way shape or form ask you about the composers representation of power play...BUT REMEMBER...develop your thesis around the question...not a thesis that dismisses the question....oki.

hope that helps (although it probably confused you even more).

Last edited:

sarevok

HSC
silvermoon said:
but memorising is unlikely to get you a band 6
I disagree, when we were taught english we were encouraged to memorize essays word-for-word and adapt them to the question in exams. I did so and received a band 6 in Advanced and a band e4 in extension 1. As long as you are able to adapt it to the question there's nothing wrong with doing it.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
We were pretty much taught that too... but then it also depends on your ability to adapt to the question. There's no point regurgitating an essay if it doesn't match up with the question being asked... however without memorising an essay I think it's nearly impossible (unless you're really brilliant- which most of us aren't) to do a 1500word masterpiece. I know for my journeys essay the only way I can write it out is if it is concreted in my memory.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
sarevok said:
I disagree, when we were taught english we were encouraged to memorize essays word-for-word and adapt them to the question in exams. I did so and received a band 6 in Advanced and a band e4 in extension 1. As long as you are able to adapt it to the question there's nothing wrong with doing it.
Wow, thats great
anyway. thats what I'm gonna try to do.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
sarevok said:
wel, thats great. But there were also plenty of us, myself included, who also got band 6 and E4 without memorising essays. I still maintain that if you know your texts well and you can remember the techniques, their meaning and how they link the texts together (which has got to be easier than memorising a whole essay) you don't need to memorise an essay which you will then more than likely have to adapt to suitthe question.

yes, memorising essays can get you brilliant marks: my example for this would be a friend of my family who, about 2-3 years ago, did his HSC and got a 99 for english. He went through and memorised an essay for every past HSC question so he couldn't be caught off guard by having an essay that didn't fit the question. but...damn. that's ridiculous. but, it worked i suppose.

sarevok

HSC
silvermoon said:
yes, memorising essays can get you brilliant marks:
Then why are you saying memorising essays is unlikely to get you a band 6? You shouldn't be trying to scare people who utilise this study technique, it's an effective way to get good marks provided you do it well.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
1. that was taken completely out of context, which effectivly negates your post
2. neither i, nor anyone else who shares my views on not memorising essays have tried to "scare people," we have simply responded to a query, giving our opinion on why we feel memorising essays is not the better technique. nothing can compensate for truly knowing your work - and, if you do know it, there's no need to memorise an essay that may well prove unsuitable for the question asked.
3. the example i gave was not a common one. the effort that this particular person put into memorising essays wuld have been far better spent learning his work thoroughly. this person spent over four months memorising essays for any possible question - i'm fairly confident that i can say that this is NOT what the majority of people who have responded to this thread had in mind

sarevok

HSC
silvermoon said:
nothing can compensate for truly knowing your work - and, if you do know it, there's no need to memorise an essay that may well prove unsuitable for the question asked.
I don't think you can make a general statement about this, not everyone has the ability to create a fantastic essay on the day, and for those people memorizing essays is a viable alternative. I do agree that if you are able to write a great essay on the day which is suited to the question, you are going to do better than someone who simply memorized an essay. But the statement that the memorizing approach isn't going to get you in the top band is completely incorrect; many people at my school received band 6's having used the memorizing approach.

Last edited:

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
no-one said it was impossible to achieve a band 6 by memorising an essay. what i, and others, said was:
a) that if you memorise an essay you take the risk of not answering the question properly. depending on the question, it can be just as difficult to change an essay unsuited to a topic to fit the question asked as it would be to just ignore the memorised essay and write one that answers the question
b) that a memorised essay is obvious and does not endear you to markers. no, you cannot be deducted marks, but the HSC is marked by bandwidth: 15-17, 18-19, 19-20 etc. and if you have an obviously memorised essay many markers will tend to give the lower mark in the range they have assigned the essay to

aurora_05

HSC
silvermoon said:
if you have an obviously memorised essay many markers will tend to give the lower mark in the range they have assigned the essay to
unless that "obviously memorised essay" is really well-written and generally answers the question.
I mean, if you go in with a half-arsed prepared essay that cant be manipulated to answer a question then you arent helping yourself at all, and the markers will obviously see that and mark accordingly.
However if you have a basic essay that is well structured and written, and has potential to be adapted to suit a question, even if it may seem pre-prepared, then i see no reason why the markers would put you in a lower marking range because of it.

squishyblob7

HSC
That's why I like the Modern History essay questions. There's virtually no room to do this in. The questions are always so varied, and driven by evaluation/thesis rather than facts.
It would seem that the 'facts' in english, or the points you memorise, would be the actual evaluation or thesis before hand. The fact is that you can have your own thesis and evaluation on the subject of a text shows not only your understanding of the text but have the ability to manipulate this effectively and relevantly to the issue of the question asked in the exam.

That is why people memorise points in english AND get good marks.
This is how English examination works- analysis and explanation in a timed period.
If you don't agree, how else would you manage to assess the understanding of students as a teacher?

kr73114

HSC
please help! tips on memorising an essay
my test is on tuesday and i know thats plenty of time but i'm struggling to get anything into my head atm. please help, any tips?
and yes i am going to memorise it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)